Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times

Advertisements

Yeah, just call me: Eeyore - a character in the Winnie-the-Pooh books by A. A. Milne. He is generally characterized as a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey stuffed donkey who is a friend of the title character, Winnie-the-Pooh.

I'm not doing what I want to do with my life and I just get bummed out by people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 AM

Pain update: I feel *so* much better this morning after taking the pain med since after the port removal yesterday. I'm starting physical therapy in a couple of weeks, too; first eval and then who knows. I don't even know what "physical therapy" is, exactly. All I remember is my dad making fun of the "little gals" who tried to get him to do things when he was in hospital, and he towered over them and thought it was funny. I had the same experience after my big surgery.

Think I should do PT before trying the water aerobics; I've always loved the water but I don't want to drown, and with my height (6'3") it would take everyone in the buidling to "save" me if I got a cramp or couldn't stand up.

I'll search on PT, find out where the topic belongs, and see if I can get some input into what it actually entails.

What I meant by being bummed out by people, is primarily all the lies on television: that cows are "happy", that animals "give us" their milk, eggs and meat. What boldfaced lies all that is; just like we would, animals struggle to the last breath not to be killed. It's just all a hideous lie.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
davidals - that is rough news to receive. I hope your oncologist is wrong and you go a long, long time without a reoccurance.

mvintar - Congrats on getting the port out. PT should be a good experience. Almost all PTs are so kind, sort of like cheerleaders and coaches in one, helping you exercise and get strong. Cats are the best, aren't they? Mine is cuddled up against me right now...

Old 08-23-2012, 04:15 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
A writeup of my First Descents trip at : I get high with a little help from my friends « The Good Hodgkin's.

Even if you are not in the age bracket for FD or that sort of program is not something you're interested in, try something that challenges you post-cancer. I think so many of us get stuck in a rut after we're done with treatment. I was told by a friend in the community that the first 2 years after cancer can make you lose more friends than when you were first diagnosed because *so* many people lose whatever positivity they had while actively fighting and instead focus on relapse scares, not adjusting well to the new normal, etc. I can't say I'm not still bitter about getting sick young and having to live with a lifetime of negative health impacts due to my treatment, but I trust my body a bit more following my experience last week. That's a huge step for me.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 PM

charo, loved the photos especially!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A writeup of my First Descents trip at : I get high with a little help from my friends « The Good Hodgkin's.

Even if you are not in the age bracket for FD or that sort of program is not something you're interested in, try something that challenges you post-cancer. I think so many of us get stuck in a rut after we're done with treatment.
That's a nice article and photos, and that looks like a wonderful experience. It wouldn't work for me, though: even if I "go skiing," where I'm really going is "read by the fire." I don't like being outside; I don't like bugs; I don't like extremes of temperature; and I'm too nearsighted and clumsy to do anything like that. I would unquestionably hurt myself or worse, someone else. I'm the kind of person, if you throw a ball at me, I duck.

But I totally agree with the recommendation to try something that challenges you, post-cancer. Re-inventing myself is a hobby of mine, really; there are so many things I want to study (besides music), it's hard to choose. For me, the adventure would be in becoming a scholar in some area that I have not tried yet. Yesterday, I spent a good part of the day figuring out the courses I'd have to take if I got an MBA at this school I'm looking at (the one with the good weather, med mj, year-round swimming, farmers' market, etc.).

I would have to study for four years to take the series of math, accounting, finance and marketing courses, just to get into the program! (Well, seven semesters). The tuition is less than $900/term, which is doable. I'd rather go to school and ride a bicycle, than have a new car. Along with the math courses I could take French courses; language, literature, grammar, phonetics, composition, translation, civilization. Even a course entitled "Paris: History & Culture." Each term I could take one or two PE courses: yoga, Pilates, ballet, etc.

This is my adventure, and though it probably seems nuts to some people, it's what would make me happy.

In Paris, a woman is a woman, regardless of her age, and is considered sexy as long as she lives (if she looks and dresses beautifully). Sounds good to me!!!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:44 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
That sounds like fun, mvintar! That's part of the reason why I work in higher ed - I get free classes to take. I might take a bit of break, but after spending last night helping a friend register for community college, I am thinking about taking a CC French class to brush back up on what I forgot in high school. My friend is taking Spanish, which is really exciting for me because that means I get to practice tutoring Spanish again.

There are also a few free resources to learn things. https://www.coursera.org/ has a wide range of college courses from major universities (Princeton, Rice, UVA, and more). I've been checking out their health policy classes, which helps me be a better advocate for the community. I'm also a big fan of Learn to code | Codecademy which is by far the best way for a really non-techy person to get into coding. They offer courses in Python, CSS, HTML, and Javascript in an interactive, low barrier-to-entry way. I just took a whole programming class in XML through a graduate program at work, and I didn't learn the material half as well as the HTML I'm learning here.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That sounds like fun, mvintar! That's part of the reason why I work in higher ed - I get free classes to take. I might take a bit of break, but after spending last night helping a friend register for community college, I am thinking about taking a CC French class to brush back up on what I forgot in high school. My friend is taking Spanish, which is really exciting for me because that means I get to practice tutoring Spanish again.

There are also a few free resources to learn things. https://www.coursera.org/ has a wide range of college courses from major universities (Princeton, Rice, UVA, and more). I've been checking out their health policy classes, which helps me be a better advocate for the community. I'm also a big fan of Learn to code | Codecademy which is by far the best way for a really non-techy person to get into coding. They offer courses in Python, CSS, HTML, and Javascript in an interactive, low barrier-to-entry way. I just took a whole programming class in XML through a graduate program at work, and I didn't learn the material half as well as the HTML I'm learning here.
I knew about the free coursework at MIT; I didn't know Rice did that. But I don't want to do courses online; I need to get out, walk around, be with people. Being online too much is part of my problem, associated with owning an online business.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM

You two sure love school! I am so sick of school. This is my last semester of classes. In the spring I do an internship, take a comprehensive exam, and then I am DONE. I am having such a hard time getting motivated this semester though.

As for doing something special post-treatment, I'm planning on going on a hot air balloon ride. I've always wanted to do it. I think hot air balloons are beautiful. I'm hoping to go this fall.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 AM

I suppose people watched the "Stand up to Cancer" programs last night? I watched a little bit of it before Bill Maher came on, and wished I had watched more. Don't know why I didn't.

I'm having pains in my stomach, which everyone assures me is just the scar tissues. Also, pain and swelling in my right lower leg. I still can't conceive of having such a large tumor being removed, doing only four chemos, and then being alright. I keep thinking the surgeon just wanted me to have a few months of peace and happiness. I don't know why I'm so paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer