Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times

Advertisements

charo as upsetting as the situation is, your parents have to figure this one out on their own. You've got your own stuff to deal with right now. (((charo)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
The second giggle of the day was this diddy: If two vegans get into an argument is it still a beef?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
Well I've got 15 of 33 radiation treatments done. It's so tedious to have to drive for treatment every morning, and then be late to work, but at least I am almost halfway through.
I am excited to be nearing the end of all these time-consuming treatments.

Not to be negative but here's another pet peeve - when people find out you have cancer, they feel compelled to tell you about everyone they know who has died of cancer. WHY?!? That is the last thing I want to hear about!

Is anyone dressing up for Halloween? I am trying to get a group of us at work to dress up as toys. I bought a Mrs. Potato Head costume!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM

We are talking of dressing one of our beagles as snoopy the famous WWI fighter ace. Complete with scarf, leather helmet and doggles goggles.

In years past my wife had dressed her one of her beagles in a bumble bee outfit. Making this dog a bumble beagle. That dog died earlier... Not sure who will sport the costume this year.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Well I've got 15 of 33 radiation treatments done. It's so tedious to have to drive for treatment every morning, and then be late to work, but at least I am almost halfway through.

Not to be negative but here's another pet peeve - when people find out you have cancer, they feel compelled to tell you about everyone they know who has died of cancer. WHY?!? That is the last thing I want to hear about!

Is anyone dressing up for Halloween? I am trying to get a group of us at work to dress up as toys. I bought a Mrs. Potato Head costume!
Yep, the driving back and forth can take a toll. Hubby had 38 treatments for his Lipo Sarcoma, starting in late Feb and it was about a 45min drive, each way. Not only did the gas bills go sky high, it interferred with our day. He would be gone (or I would go with him on the days he met with the oncologist) for about 2 or more hours, just for a 10 or 15 min treatment. He had them scheduled for about 10:30. The second round, 41 treatments he scheduled a litttle earlier in the day. It made a huge difference.

We always appreciated discussing his cancer with people who were survivors or in remission,but you are right, we don't need to know about your best friends, aunt, who died. Death is a reality, but for those going through treatments, we would rather thing positively, knowing there are more who beat the desease than are taken by it. Even if the results are not all we had hoped for, keeping a smile and going on with life as nomally as possible makes a big difference

Christina, we kept a calendar and I am sure you are doing the same, we would mark off each day, when we got past that 1/2 mark, which you are near it is a peice of cake to finish...

Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We always appreciated discussing his cancer with people who were survivors or in remission,but you are right, we don't need to know about your best friends, aunt, who died. Death is a reality, but for those going through treatments, we would rather thing positively, knowing there are more who beat the desease than are taken by it. Even if the results are not all we had hoped for, keeping a smile and going on with life as nomally as possible makes a big difference.
And as long as we keep growing the list of survivors and convincing people that in most cases now, cancer is either curable or has become a chronic disease (as opposed to the death sentence some people used to think it was) then we can change the dynamic of the conversation. Someday, we will all be talking about the people we know who have survived cancer ... starting with all of us!! We're still here and we are growing in numbers. There are almost TWELVE MILLION of us alive and kicking in the United States today and our numbers grow larger every day.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post

Just like when you tell someone you're pregnant - no, I'm not! - they begin to tell you about how horrible their own pregnancies were. I always said, "Every person is different. So is every pregnancy." The same applies to cancer patients. I only had one person launch into a negative cancer story and I looked 'em dead in the eye and said, "Geeze! I'm still here. How do you think that happened?"

I'm not dressing up for Hallowe'en. I spend most days looking like a bag lady so what's the point?
Besides, if I tell you, you'll know who I am when I show up at your door for a handout!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
And as long as we keep growing the list of survivors and convincing people that in most cases now, cancer is either curable or has become a chronic disease (as opposed to the death sentence some people used to think it was) then we can change the dynamic of the conversation. Someday, we will all be talking about the people we know who have survived cancer ... starting with all of us!! We're still here and we are growing in numbers. There are almost TWELVE MILLION of us alive and kicking in the United States today and our numbers grow larger every day.
That is exactly it! I've been toying with the idea of a project about life after cancer. I really think it needs to move forward.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Right you are, Charley. While I can feel sympathy for the families of those who didn't survive, I must also be joyful for the ones who did.

My mother lived 45 years, give or take, after surviving uterine cancer. My dtr-in-law is going on almost 20 years after breast cancer. I myself am heading for four years clean after surgery and chemo for colon cancer.

And there are lots more who could tell similar stories, we don't talk about it, not out of shame or embarrassment but because we don't let the disease define us. There are those who say if they were diagnosed they would decline treatment and just let it end and I respect their right to decide., (Of course, their determination hasn't yet been tested) but as treatment becomes less debilitating and more successful, I think it would be a shame to waste all that research.

We are surviving, and surviving well. We are working, and parenting, and engaged in pursuits that advance our society, (and acting!). Im thankful for every day I'm on the right side of the dirt and bless the people who sacrificed their lives; and the researchers who try every day to find a better treatment and cure; and the doctors who care for the afflicted and bring them back to a healthier state. And my family who wouldn't let me swoon on the sofa. My eldest called me on the day I was diagnosed and said, "So, Mom, what's eating you?" When I finished laughing, I knew my family had my back and would help me get past the "why me?" stage and on to survival.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I am a 50 plus year survivor of cervical cancer and in one of my bridge groups, out of 8 of us, 5 are cancer survivors. We did lose one of our members a few months ago but she was diagnosed several years ago with breast cancer...a few years later she developed ovarian cancer, even then, she worked, traveled, and even taught school (part time) for about 3 years...My step mom lived many years after her cancer, only to die, at 95 of old age...I think we could go on and on, most of us know, anything can take our lives, we can walk in front of a car and get killed, so being told you have cancer does not have to be the end for you. Those who dwell on the negative spend their remaining years suffering needlessly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer