Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times

Advertisements

Christina, I looked for that housecleaning service on the ACS page and I couldn't find it (though the Rides for Recovery is still on there). I'd call them and inquire: 800.227.2345 The Cancer Society volunteers are great, and they might be able to help you. That Rides program really helped me a lot: I have MS and I don't drive so I have to have a helper, but my helper isn't free.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I hate housework; I don't even know how to do it properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
I am seriously thinking about hiring someone to help around the house during radiation treatment, and possibly through May so I will have that much less stress until I am done with schoolwork. I need to talk to my DH though, and figure out what we would want done and how much we would be willing to spend on this. I think I can sweet talk him into this...

Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
I'm feeling pretty lousy this morning. I went on a date last night with a guy who was a smoker. It was our second (and last) date, and he insisted on chainsmoking in the car despite me telling him that a) I hate smoking and b) with my lung damage, smoking makes me really sick. I woke up this morning with serious lung pain and a sore throat. I'm sure it's in part due to the weather changing, but it's hard not to be frustrated! It's a shame I was basically trapped in his car. It's also taught me that I don't need to be "nice" while telling people who I am in close quarters with to stop smoking!

(Also, who chain smokes on a date with someone you are clearly really into when that person tells you that they recently finished cancer treatment and are very sensitive to smoke? Oy vey. Nothing up top.)

Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm feeling pretty lousy this morning. I went on a date last night with a guy who was a smoker. It was our second (and last) date, and he insisted on chainsmoking in the car despite me telling him that a) I hate smoking and b) with my lung damage, smoking makes me really sick. I woke up this morning with serious lung pain and a sore throat. I'm sure it's in part due to the weather changing, but it's hard not to be frustrated! It's a shame I was basically trapped in his car. It's also taught me that I don't need to be "nice" while telling people who I am in close quarters with to stop smoking!

(Also, who chain smokes on a date with someone you are clearly really into when that person tells you that they recently finished cancer treatment and are very sensitive to smoke? Oy vey. Nothing up top.)
I'm sorry about your experience. Avoid this person entirely (as I'm sure you will); if they inconsiderate on initial dates, how much worse would they be as a life partner? My mother said, never date anyone you wouldn't marry. I guess because our physical needs overrun our common sense.

A similar thing happened to me once; went on a date with this person who was overweight, first of all, and ordered a big, juicy, bloody steak, knowing full well I was an AR person, and vegan. Made me ill, watching him eat it, with blood literally running down his chin. He could have forgone the bloody corpse at least for one dinner, don't you think?

But smoking is out of the question. I would have gotten out of the car and taken a taxi home.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I am seriously thinking about hiring someone to help around the house during radiation treatment, and possibly through May so I will have that much less stress until I am done with schoolwork. I need to talk to my DH though, and figure out what we would want done and how much we would be willing to spend on this. I think I can sweet talk him into this...
You can use it as a tax deduction, if that helps. What I do is design a little employment application. I request two picture IDs, make copies of those, be sure to get their email address and phone number(s), and on the application request three employment references and two emergency contact numbers (and call these and verify them). If there's any problem with theft or anything at all, you just call the police and make a police report, giving them copies of the documents (I'd make pdf files of them and mail them to yourself and/or an attorney). In decades of hiring help I've never had a problem.

If you like housework, you know, knock yourself out, but if I can make $30/hr teaching, or more, in my business, why should I spend time scrubbing the bathroom? I won't do it.

If you place an ad on Craigslist you'll get 50+ responses, often from people that you don't want in your home. It's sort of amazing how many people are desperate; they'll call/email you (I'd let them email you via CL, rather than leaving a phone number), so you can protect your phone number and screen them somewhat before they come to apply. I get a lot of young women who are overweight, very old beat up car and raggedy clothes, one or more children with no dad at home, facial piercings, tatoos, and totally unreliable. Sometimes they want to bring the boyfriend into the picture, which can be scary. The best people are either college students who are working towards a degree, or retired people who have a good work history and just want to pick up a little extra income while helping someone out.

Over the years I've had people who wanted me to get drugs ("for their cats") from my vet, or cheat on foodstamps, or substitute a family member if they couldn't make it, etc. One girl was in the newspaper about running over a child in her truck, and she blamed everyone but herself for the accident. You do have to be careful. Run their name through Google; if you pay a fee you can even get arrest records. But in general, if you have a good sense of people, you can find someone.

HTH

Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:

That is beyond rude. I am surprised it made it to a second date. I am so glad I never smoked.

when I was a bachelor, working full time and running a second business I toyed with the idea of having a housekeeper come by once a week. I sold the house and moved instead.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 AM

>> I sold the house and moved instead.

That's what my mother used to say to me: you never clean house, you just move. Lots of moving around in my youth, orchestra gigs.

I mean, bless their hearts, but a lot of people (not just young people, either) have no common sense. You don't apply for a job with facial piercings (IMHO), or tell the prospective boss you're desperate for money. You don't send extensive resumes via email, since anybody with sense won't open a document from an unknown source. And especially if the resume has job history which has nothing to do with the low level position you're applying for (exceptions exist, I know).

One girl, a college girl majoring in forensic science (hehe), was so silly she kept me laughing for weeks. Pulling up behind her car in the Walmart cart with my groceries, she said: did you want me to put those in there? Walking into my living room, with bags of groceries, she said: where do you want me to put these? (Oh, I don't know -- put the bananas in the bathroom, why not?)

I really don't get the facial piercings and the tatoos. But then I don't get having children sans daddy, either, so that's my bad. Mixed kids are beautiful, but if mom hasn't got any sense, what chance have they got. <<running and ducking, I guess>>

Last edited by mvintar; 09-24-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 AM

I liked the house. I hated the town I was in. I was offered a chance to transfer. The divorce was about to be finalized. Otherwise I was planning to stay put. Opportunity come to move to some place I like I am set.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Did anyone else have bleomycin here? I believe it's used for lymphomas (such as my case) and some reproductive cancers. It causes lung damage - in my case, I had it pulled from my treatment schedule during cycle 5 of chemo.

It feels like I'm dying. :P I woke up from a nap, coughed, and burst into tears it hurts so much. I think the smoke from last night opened up my lungs to some germs, because it feels like I have a nasty cold plus the very unique sensation of someone taking a cheese grater to my lungs. I could be a PSA against smoking right now. :P

Currently basting in Vick's, green tea, honey, and lemon. We have Wednesday off of work for Yom Kippur so I have a lot of work to get done before the holiday - looks like tomorrow will be another day working from home so I don't expose the raw throat/lungs to the infectious jungle known as a college campus.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Did anyone else have bleomycin here? I believe it's used for lymphomas (such as my case) and some reproductive cancers. It causes lung damage - in my case, I had it pulled from my treatment schedule during cycle 5 of chemo.

It feels like I'm dying. :P I woke up from a nap, coughed, and burst into tears it hurts so much. I think the smoke from last night opened up my lungs to some germs, because it feels like I have a nasty cold plus the very unique sensation of someone taking a cheese grater to my lungs. I could be a PSA against smoking right now. :P

Currently basting in Vick's, green tea, honey, and lemon. We have Wednesday off of work for Yom Kippur so I have a lot of work to get done before the holiday - looks like tomorrow will be another day working from home so I don't expose the raw throat/lungs to the infectious jungle known as a college campus.
Yes, I was treated wtih bleomycin. At the start of each cycle I had to doa pulmonary function test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer