Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times

Advertisements

ugh, our heat is on now. It breaks my heart! well, my wallet moreso than my heart, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 AM

I don't like to see posts about how to deal with cancer, from people who have not had cancer. I don't like to get advice from people who haven't been through it either. It makes me mad. Does anyone else feel this way?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I don't like to see posts about how to deal with cancer, from people who have not had cancer. I don't like to get advice from people who haven't been through it either. It makes me mad. Does anyone else feel this way?
I absolutely agree with you (other than advice that I would receive from a professional healthcare provider).

Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I feel all of you with your heat on! My roommates and I are trying to avoid turning on our heat (and are lucky that the people downstairs seem to blast theirs, so we get the residual!) but the "boot" slippers, electric blankets, and snuggies are coming out. My grandmother just finished crocheting me another afghan so I now have a blanket in practically every room of the house, plus at friends' houses that I spend lots of time. Anyone else find that post-chemo, your temperature regulation is all off? If it's not between 65 and 80, I am either shivering or sweating!

I totally agree on the advice bit. One of the worst in recent memory was the chef at my cancer camp. She went on and on about how cancer can't thrive in alkaline environments, and how we should drink lemon water every day. Now, I drink a fair bit of lemon water - but because it's tasty and helps me drink MORE water, not because I think a little lemon juice is going to change the acidity of my body! The other campers and I kept our mouths shut because this woman had just given a week of her time to make us the best, healthiest meals I have ever had (chocolate mousse made with avocado and no refined anything! spelt flour chocolate cake with coconut oil and tofu frosting! and that's just the desserts...), but it was quite uncomfortable.

I deal with it a lot with my boyfriend (and I know I've talked about dating - we're currently in an open relationship though as I get further out from chemo, commitment doesn't scare me as much as it did when I met him just a few weeks after ending treatment). He thinks I should just move on, and doesn't quite get why I do so many things in the community. It's a learning curve for both of us.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Anyone else find that post-chemo, your temperature regulation is all off? If it's not between 65 and 80, I am either shivering or sweating!
Temperature regulation issues for me actually started the winter before I was diagnosed and continues to this day, so it might be more a function of lymphoma than chemo. I find that I feel chilled much quicker than I did in years past, although the heat doesn't bother me at all. I describe the feeling of being chilled as being "core cold". My upper body starts to feel cold and it takes a few layers of clothing before that feeling subsides.

I also find that I am more uncomfortable with drafts or air blowing directly on me than I did in the past. Maybe related? Maybe not? I don't know. In restaurants, I try to sit in areas where the air conditioning is not blowing in my direction, even on a warm day.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Yes. I usually had a sharp **** for those people. I have been thinking about writing an essay or maybe even a book about life post cancer. Was thinking something along the lines of collaboration of their stories along with mine, with pictures of them doing something they enjoy. By survivors for survivors. No agenda, but first hand how to cope and adjust to life after cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I feel all of you with your heat on! My roommates and I are trying to avoid turning on our heat (and are lucky that the people downstairs seem to blast theirs, so we get the residual!) but the "boot" slippers, electric blankets, and snuggies are coming out. My grandmother just finished crocheting me another afghan so I now have a blanket in practically every room of the house, plus at friends' houses that I spend lots of time. Anyone else find that post-chemo, your temperature regulation is all off? If it's not between 65 and 80, I am either shivering or sweating!

I totally agree on the advice bit. One of the worst in recent memory was the chef at my cancer camp. She went on and on about how cancer can't thrive in alkaline environments, and how we should drink lemon water every day. Now, I drink a fair bit of lemon water - but because it's tasty and helps me drink MORE water, not because I think a little lemon juice is going to change the acidity of my body! The other campers and I kept our mouths shut because this woman had just given a week of her time to make us the best, healthiest meals I have ever had (chocolate mousse made with avocado and no refined anything! spelt flour chocolate cake with coconut oil and tofu frosting! and that's just the desserts...), but it was quite uncomfortable.

I deal with it a lot with my boyfriend (and I know I've talked about dating - we're currently in an open relationship though as I get further out from chemo, commitment doesn't scare me as much as it did when I met him just a few weeks after ending treatment). He thinks I should just move on, and doesn't quite get why I do so many things in the community. It's a learning curve for both of us.
My temperature control didn't bother me. During chemo car rides were hell for me. I didn't know if I could ever travel again. I love a good road trip and adventure. It took some time before that all came back.

After chemo, I started to do some landscape work as side projects. That summer the projects I had were usually done during the hottest days. It didn't wear me down like I thought it would.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Glad to know I am not alone. OMG charo, my inner temperature is all screwed up. I know the chemo has goofed up my hormones and I suspect that may be why, although I can't say that for sure. SD4020, that book sounds great! I would read it! You should definitely write it.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:01 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Glad to know I am not alone. OMG charo, my inner temperature is all screwed up. I know the chemo has goofed up my hormones and I suspect that may be why, although I can't say that for sure. SD4020, that book sounds great! I would read it! You should definitely write it.
I typed out the first paragraph of preface yesterday... At this rate, it might be a while.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 PM

Update on my dad: He had an appointment today that was not so good. He needs to schedule an MRI because his doctor is concerned with early-onset Alzheimers. His liver is enlarged and there is still concern with his heart - he is also meeting a cardiologist. My parents have high deductible insurance that is over $400 a month with a $3000 deductible. My dad has been unemployed for 4 years and my mom works at a daycare making *maybe* $20,000 a year. My brother just turned 23 and is not even 6 months into his first job, and I, of course, am still living paycheck to paycheck from cancer treatment. My brother and I both live in New England, my parents are in Georgia without any family or friends.

Their house is worth less now than when they bought it new in the early 90s. They just refinanced their mortgage as well. My dad is 55 and my mom is 53 - far off from Medicare and make too much money for Medicaid.

I really don't know what to do.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM

And one of my roommates just told me she's moving out in 3 weeks, breaking our lease mind you, and has "no plans to help find a new roommate or pay for November's rent". I'm panicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer