Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
SD, chemo messed up mine too. It gave me cataracts in both eyes, which I had fixed. Then I had to have them fixed again when they clouded. Then I had a "floater" from one of the corners tore off. My opthmalogist could see it, my eye surgeon could not. Fingers crossed, because I'd really like to be able to just sit and read!
good luck, both with the shrinking of the tumors and the eye sight. Hubby never had eye sight affected; of course his treatments were no where near his upper body or head and he only had radiation, not chemo. He does still have side affects from the radiation and all the hormones, more the hormones I think He no longer drives; bummer for both of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
What side effects did your hubby have from radiation? This is the third time I've had radiation, I've never had lingering side effects.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:31 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Once I was done with chemo my vision cleared up. So, I didn't need new lenses for my glasses.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
I hope I don't either!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 56,090 times
I am pretty new here, but did anyone tried something natural like herbs to fight the cancer? My father in low had 2 surgeries already to remove the cancer from different organs and they stopped the chemo therapy already. Anyexperienced supplements?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivonkaa View Post
I am pretty new here, but did anyone tried something natural like herbs to fight the cancer? My father in low had 2 surgeries already to remove the cancer from different organs and they stopped the chemo therapy already. Anyexperienced supplements?
don't even think about it; just check and see how many patients, many celebrities have lost their battle with cancer depending on herb and other natural means. Cancer is nothing to try experiments with unless a doctor recommends an experimental drug. Even then, it is wise to be very careful. As hard as it is for some to understand, there are forms of cancer that can not be treated or forms that often do reappear, but eventually can be controlled. Don't give up, but don't depend on natural anything. All we can do sometimes is depend on the knowledge of the doctor and the will of God if you are a believer.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
My father had a cancerous tumor removed from his lower colon around this time last year. He was completely "under" during the surgery which was successful, he is 100% cancer free and progressed so well after the surgery that he didn't need chemo treatment after. He was very sharp and focused prior too, basically his mind was sharp.

Despite the success with surgery he is now a shell of what he once was Mentally. He's very unsure of himself and it seems to me his mind is slipping. I've heard going under heavy anesthesia especially with elderly patient's can have this effect on their memory etc. Has anyone else experienced this or scene this behavior? Sorry for the change in font as i C/C
anesthesia..lol

I don't post here much at all but do appreciate any feedback and also feel for anyone who is dealing with cancer issues.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
My father had a cancerous tumor removed from his lower colon around this time last year. He was completely "under" during the surgery which was successful, he is 100% cancer free and progressed so well after the surgery that he didn't need chemo treatment after. He was very sharp and focused prior too, basically his mind was sharp.

Despite the success with surgery he is now a shell of what he once was Mentally. He's very unsure of himself and it seems to me his mind is slipping. I've heard going under heavy anesthesia especially with elderly patient's can have this effect on their memory etc. Has anyone else experienced this or scene this behavior? Sorry for the change in font as i C/C
anesthesia..lol

I don't post here much at all but do appreciate any feedback and also feel for anyone who is dealing with cancer issues.

You haven't said how old he is, that can make a huge difference. I haven't heard about heavy anesthestics (spelling) can cause such after effects, but I guess it is possible. As for his being a different person, some of this could simply have to do with his age, but some what he went through. In the case o my hubby and that is all I can judge my opinion on, he has suffered some memory loss and has slipped as well, but he has gone through 2 cancer surgeries, 4 months of chemo, 4 hernia surgeries and hormones I the past 5 plus years. It is bound to take its toll.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post

anesthesia..lol

There is a possibility the sedation can trip up something in the brain.

For me, I was 27 when I was diagnosed with cancer, the mental scars were the hardest to adjust to. "Chemo brain" is something I had to cope with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivonkaa View Post
No. Why? Because it does not work.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
Thank you for your replies..very sincerely.

My father is 77 years old and as i said was very sharp prior to the surgery, and at the end of the day grateful he's cancer free but he's not the same person. My mom had hip replacement surgery 2 months ago and refused to go "under" because at her age the anesthesiologist warned of some side effects of going totally under at her age,, 75. So she didn't go under and was on propofol but at a very low dose. And it worked well, as she slept through most of the surgery and came too at the end. And today is doing great with no mind side effects. She's a bigger person than i as the doc warned her that there are sounds u don't want to hear during that surgery. But she's very stubborn and the anesthesiologist nailed it with the med and dose.

I guess at the end of the day u are left with some positives and negatives. I'm so glad my father is cancer free but to see his mental state is discouraging for sure..knowing he's going to live is the positive as many are not that lucky. Thanks for your time to read my post and reply. As a son i will do whatever i can to make sure his quality of life is the best it can be in the future. Be well all. My parents don't live together either..it's been like 15 years now juggling the 2 and what they are dealing with. We all do the best we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer