Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Instead of growing in size, the tumor went down.
That's great news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's great news!
Exactly! Excellent news!

Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,072,873 times
Quote:
That's great news!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Exactly! Excellent news!
Yep, I thought so too and I was so ready for some good news. It was a welcome change.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Yep, I thought so too and I was so ready for some good news. It was a welcome change.
It always is. That is why we keep fighting, always persist and how the fight is won!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Glad to hear the good news, LilyLady!

I've had a bit of a rough week. It's about time for my annual relapse scare. I'm coming up on my 4 year anniversary of begining treatment and the chances of relapse are now much slimmer - studies suggest that if you make it 3 years past treatment, your chance of relapsing is only 10%. But still, someone has to be in that 10%.

My shoulder, breast, underarm, and neck are all achey - and that is where my bulkiest tumors were. I don't *think* I feel any lymph nodes, but I am overweight so I would not necessarily be able to do so. That side has always been more swollen than the other thanks to scar tissue from treatment. I have been poking around so much that I have a little bruise, which probably doesn't help matters either. Even worse, my lower back has begun feeling uncomfortable though I think it is probably due to a change of diet (until I started tracking my diet, I had no idea how little fiber I was getting - I thought I was all set with so much brussels sprouts and cabbage!). Still, backpain was my first symptom so it has me on edge.

On the plus side, nothing hurts upon alcohol consumption which was my first symptom. The back discomfort seems to be tied to constipation or sluggishness rather than the sharp, wake-me-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night crying that I had for years before my diagnosis. No itchiness. The two places I had palpable nodes aren't swollen. I've had a lot of stress at work over the past few weeks having to read thousands of racist, misogynist, and often threatening emails, Tweets, and comments looking for credible threats to the community. My onc and PCP aren't that concerned - or at least, aren't concerned enough to push up my physical or scan coming in the next 2 months.

Trying not to let myself get panicked. People get aches and pains and it's not always related to cancer, but it's so hard to see that in the moment. Also, I'm only 27, so in general any ache or pain has cause that I can identify and it's scary when I can't.

Ugh.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:26 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Trying not to let myself get panicked. People get aches and pains and it's not always related to cancer, but it's so hard to see that in the moment.
I hope that it's just stress, Charo. It's a good sign that your oncologist isn't concerned. Thinking of you!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear the good news, LilyLady!
It wasn't quite the good news that I thought it was. But more on that another time - another post.
Quote:
...I've had a bit of a rough week. It's about time for my annual relapse scare. I'm coming up on my 4 year anniversary of begining treatment and the chances of relapse are now much slimmer - studies suggest that if you make it 3 years past treatment, your chance of relapsing is only 10%. But still, someone has to be in that 10%.

My shoulder, breast, underarm, and neck are all achey - and that is where my bulkiest tumors were. I don't *think* I feel any lymph nodes, but I am overweight so I would not necessarily be able to do so. That side has always been more swollen than the other thanks to scar tissue from treatment. I have been poking around so much that I have a little bruise, which probably doesn't help matters either. Even worse, my lower back has begun feeling uncomfortable though I think it is probably due to a change of diet (until I started tracking my diet, I had no idea how little fiber I was getting - I thought I was all set with so much brussels sprouts and cabbage!). Still, backpain was my first symptom so it has me on edge.

On the plus side, nothing hurts upon alcohol consumption which was my first symptom. The back discomfort seems to be tied to constipation or sluggishness rather than the sharp, wake-me-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night crying that I had for years before my diagnosis. No itchiness. The two places I had palpable nodes aren't swollen. I've had a lot of stress at work over the past few weeks having to read thousands of racist, misogynist, and often threatening emails, Tweets, and comments looking for credible threats to the community. My onc and PCP aren't that concerned - or at least, aren't concerned enough to push up my physical or scan coming in the next 2 months.

Trying not to let myself get panicked. People get aches and pains and it's not always related to cancer, but it's so hard to see that in the moment. Also, I'm only 27, so in general any ache or pain has cause that I can identify and it's scary when I can't.

Ugh.
Quote:
I hope that it's just stress, Charo. It's a good sign that your oncologist isn't concerned. Thinking of you!
Char, I wish I was smart enough to offer some knowledgeable advice. I think CA4Now said it well. I'll be thinking of you too and wishing you luck with all that I have.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Well, here I am again...

I finished another cycle of chemo this week. At the same time, they gave me a heavy-duty antibiotic by IV to deal with an infection of my left foot that keeps coming back. The oncologist took a wound culture at the start of the week. Yesterday it came back positive for a staph infection. So they finished IV fusion and today I started my first dose of an oral antibiotic. There's no podiatrist on staff at the cancer center so my oncologist wants me to contact my podiatrist about the infection.. even though it seems to be improving on its own. I feel sort of stuck in the middle because I don't know what to say to my podiatrist. I haven't had to see him since the end of 2012. This is the first bit of doubt or uncertainty I'm feeling over what I'm being told by the center. Confusing.

I start the next cycle of chemo on Feb 10. After that, they want to do another CT scan of my chest/lungs to evaluate the size of the cancer. When the scan is done the radiology oncologist said that it might be time to start radiation treatments. She wants to do six weeks of treatments. That caught me by surprise. I didn't anticipate that many treatments. My last experience with radiation to my head and neck resulted in burns to the soft tissue in my neck, scarred vocal cords, scar tissue on the laryngeal surface of my epiglottis and lots of pain. I don't think I'm brave enough to do it again.

Last edited by LilyLady; 01-24-2015 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Corrected spacing.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:30 AM

One treatment at a time. You can do this.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
One treatment at a time. You can do this.
I wish I was as positive as you. It doesn't help to know that this cancer is so agressive and recurring. The radiation oncologist told me that remission probably isn't in my future. I'd been told that after the lung biopsy but it's still kind of hard to hear again.

Okay, I'll enjoy this break from treatments and the cancer center. Then I'll deal with the next cycle of treatments. Like you said - one treatment at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer