Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 03:58 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
The 'normal' world goes on doesn't it?
It does seem to, despite what we all endure. I hope that you can rest and recover before your next treatment. It's good to know that your breathing has become easier. Sending positive thoughts your way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 08:34 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It does seem to, despite what we all endure. I hope that you can rest and recover before your next treatment. It's good to know that your breathing has become easier. Sending positive thoughts your way!
Thank you for the good thoughts. I think I got far too wordy in my post yesterday. How embarrassing. I've sent a message to the moderator asking for the mini-novel to be deleted. I'll try to come up with a post more suitable for an open forum.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Thank you for the good thoughts. I think I got far too wordy in my post yesterday. How embarrassing. I've sent a message to the moderator asking for the mini-novel to be deleted. I'll try to come up with a post more suitable for an open forum.
I saw it before it came down (just didn't have a chance to respond!) and didn't think it was embarassing at all. Sometimes you just need to get it off your chest, and this thread is just for us. Of course I understand wanting your privacy, but just wanted to let you know that we all get it. Since most of my friends' closest encounter with cancer was their grandparents, I often used this forum as more of a crutch than I'd like and my whole life story has practically been recounted at least 3 times.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I saw it before it came down (just didn't have a chance to respond!) and didn't think it was embarassing at all. Sometimes you just need to get it off your chest, and this thread is just for us. Of course I understand wanting your privacy, but just wanted to let you know that we all get it. Since most of my friends' closest encounter with cancer was their grandparents, I often used this forum as more of a crutch than I'd like and my whole life story has practically been recounted at least 3 times.
Thank you for the kind words. I don't know why this time around is so different or why I feel such a need to talk about what's going on. Apparently I don't know when to stop talking either! I'll learn to become more discreet - I hope.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
This, right here.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. I don't know why this time around is so different or why I feel such a need to talk about what's going on. Apparently I don't know when to stop talking either! I'll learn to become more discreet - I hope.
No matter how many times you go round and round with cancer it will rattle you. Always. If you need to vent or talk or ask questions that's what this forum is for. There are several excellent posters here who have lived through Cancer and willing to listen or whatever. charolastra00 is one of the best around here.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:56 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
You never know how it's going to impact you. I never thought I'd be a talker - I normally shut down completely when in extremely stressful and frightening situations. But when it was obvious that the stress wasn't going to be fleeting like most other incidents I had experienced (even if I didn't know it at the time!), verbal diarrhea became my way of dealing.

Are there support groups in your area? Maybe talking about it out loud would be helpful. Nothing as "permanent" as writing, but still letting you talk about it as you wish. Support groups are totally not my thing - so I get if it's not a great thing for you either - but I have found a lot of silver linings in activity groups for people with cancer. Who knew getting cancer would be the impetus of me going on a week long rock climbing trip with other cancer survivors or trying high ropes courses? Sure, we talked about cancer if we wanted to - there's that automatic bond of being in the club. But more importantly, we found a way of dealing with the uncontrollable fear of cancer and mortality with making the choice to confront other fears in a controlled environment. There are also less physical, daredevilish social opportunities for those dealing with cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
No matter how many times you go round and round with cancer it will rattle you. Always. If you need to vent or talk or ask questions that's what this forum is for. There are several excellent posters here who have lived through Cancer and willing to listen or whatever. charolastra00 is one of the best around here.
You're so sweet! I consider you one of the best around here, too.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:

You're so sweet! I consider you one of the best around here, too.
You're welcome. Are you talking the same 4020? Lol, you should know better. I wasn't looking for compliments. But, thank you.

Lily, please don't hesitate to ask for help or advise. Feel free to vent, cry or whatever. We've all been there. One of the things cancer did was give me a new insight. Having survived, if I can help someone through the ordeal I will gladly help.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:52 AM

Thank you both so much. I'm headed out for my chemo shortly but I look forward to talking to you again later. It means a lot listening to someone who has been through this and survived it.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Thank you both so much. I'm headed out for my chemo shortly but I look forward to talking to you again later. It means a lot listening to someone who has been through this and survived it.
Chemo sucks. Big time sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer