Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I don't need a study with a large statistical sample to convince me that maybe eating a lot of sugary foods isn't the best thing to do when you have cancer. You're talking to the sugar queen here--I would have done anything to keep my sugar fix coming but it seemed a very good idea to stop.
You shouldn't need to have cancer to convince you that eating a lot of sugary foods isn't the best thing, period.

I think that's the point CA4Now and I (and others) are trying to make here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 06:12 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Here's another one with the science on the connection beyond a questionnaire:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0201100149.htm
"Story Source:The above post is reprinted from materials provided by madrimasd. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length."

This link is a science news source. It does not list anything about the "study."

That link is funded by an institute that researches the effect of lifestyle changes on certain cancers. They do not give access to the study, sample, time, method by which the research is gathered, etc.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:10 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You shouldn't need to have cancer to convince you that eating a lot of sugary foods isn't the best thing, period.

I think that's the point CA4Now and I (and others) are trying to make here.
And yes anon, I am aware that I should have known this before getting cancer, and I did know it in fact, but knowing and acting are two different things and sometimes it takes a major ass dx to get motivated.

And the point you two made, as I understood it, is that people need to eat sugary foods in moderation. It sounds good, but what in fact is moderation when it comes to sweets? My answer is that if fruit is your dessert, that's moderation but some would say a cookie a day or a soda a day plus ice cream before bed. Moderation is tricky when it comes to sweets and I never could be moderate anyway. Complete avoidance, except for the fruit and limited grains is the only way to go for me. But then again, it's maybe not that simple. It's not the sugars directly, it's what they do to your blood sugar and insulin levels--or maybe it's piling them all on top of too many calories. Many people have normal blood sugar levels but high insulin levels and that's a pre-diabetic state that could set them up for higher risk of cancer. That's where I was when this all started and I suspect I had metabolic syndrome for years.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:18 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Story Source:The above post is reprinted from materials provided by madrimasd. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length."
I felt that url was more accessible/summarized in easier to read language. Sounds like you are more advanced in these matters so here are the details for you in the Journal Molecular Cell for you:

http://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/f...2812%2900979-3

And the summary:

http://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/a...2812%2900979-3

As with all these studies, if more details are desired, the source and/or details of the study are just a quick search away.

Quote:
And yes anon, I am aware that I should have known this before getting cancer, and I did know it in fact, but knowing and acting are two different things and sometimes it takes a major ass dx to get motivated.

And the point you two made, as I understood it, is that people need to eat sugary foods in moderation. It sounds good, but what in fact is moderation when it comes to sweets? My answer is that if fruit is your dessert, that's moderation but some would say a cookie a day or a soda a day plus ice cream before bed. Moderation is tricky when it comes to sweets and I never could be moderate anyway.Complete avoidance, except for the fruit and limited grains is the only way to go for me. But then again, it's maybe not that simple. It's not the sugars directly, it's what they do to your blood sugar and insulin levels--or maybe it's piling them all on top of too many calories. Many people have normal blood sugar levels but high insulin levels and that's a pre-diabetic state that could set them up for higher risk of cancer. That's where I was when this all started and I suspect I had metabolic syndrome for years.
You're far from being alone for sure in wondering about this. If I earned a nickel for everyone I've met who told me they ate healthy, everything unhealthy they eat is done in "moderation", many of whom were overweight/morbidly obese and/or with lots of health problems, I would have been able to retire at 30 with all those nickels. Moderation sure has a huge sliding scale of definitions, depending on the person, based on my experience.

Last edited by stevek64; 02-16-2016 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
People talk up "moderation" like it's both simple and always appropriate. It's not simple. I've found it's far, far easier to cut out a certain substance entirely than to "moderate" it. And, I don't believe that a healthy diet includes "everything in moderation." Some foods are not good for you, period. When I was first diagnosed with cancer, I'd been drinking at least a can of Diet Coke per day for many, many years. How to moderate that? Limit myself to one can every other day? One can per week? If I let myself have a Diet Coke once per week, I'd be spending the rest of every week looking forward to it. That seemed pathetic. And, I don't think it's a healthful drink under any circumstances, not even in moderation. So I quit entirely and started drinking tea. Haven't had a soft drink for 8 years now and don't miss them at all.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
People talk up "moderation" like it's both simple and always appropriate. It's not simple. I've found it's far, far easier to cut out a certain substance entirely than to "moderate" it. And, I don't believe that a healthy diet includes "everything in moderation." Some foods are not good for you, period. When I was first diagnosed with cancer, I'd been drinking at least a can of Diet Coke per day for many, many years. How to moderate that? Limit myself to one can every other day? One can per week? If I let myself have a Diet Coke once per week, I'd be spending the rest of every week looking forward to it. That seemed pathetic. And, I don't think it's a healthful drink under any circumstances, not even in moderation. So I quit entirely and started drinking tea. Haven't had a soft drink for 8 years now and don't miss them at all.
For sure. It's easier to give something up entirely than to torture yourself by allowing it every once in a while. "Every once in a while tends to turn into "every so often" which turns into "fairly often" which turns into "often." After a while you're right back where you started from. Personally, I find that I either give up, say, donuts 100% or I'm never going to be able to give them up. Once you get used to not having a food at all, you often don't even miss it anymore.

A good doctor who had done a lot of her own research while trying to help a friend of hers with cancer, once told me that she thought the worst combination was sugar plus fat. I have no idea where she got that idea or whether or not it's correct but that was the conclusion she had come to. Yes, that means ice cream.

Well, ice cream, being one of the most delicious treats in the world --THAT I can discipline myself to take in moderation. Something as commonplace and delicious as ice cream would be hard to give up entirely but in that one case, I think it would be possible for oneself to become highly disciplined regarding it. Eat ice cream every once in a while, on a very hot day or at a party. Be strict with yourself and just allow it on certain rare occasions. Soda, YUCK anyway, no need for it ever.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 AM

350 posts, read 415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree. I am not sure these type of foods can be ingested with moderation. They are specifically designed to be additive. Remember Jay's potato chips "Can't stop eating them!".

There was a documentary about corn chips research and production. Entire labs set up to create products that encourage consumption ensuring that the combination of sweet & salty is just right. I could eat a bag of chips and never feel full. What "switch" is being turned off to induce you to keep eating? So I just eliminate those products from the shopping cart! "Can't stop eating them" - I just won't purchase them!

Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, ice cream, being one of the most delicious treats in the world --THAT I can discipline myself to take in moderation. Something as commonplace and delicious as ice cream would be hard to give up entirely but in that one case, I think it would be possible for oneself to become highly disciplined regarding it. Eat ice cream every once in a while, on a very hot day or at a party. Be strict with yourself and just allow it on certain rare occasions. Soda, YUCK anyway, no need for it ever.
If I ever eat ice cream again, it will be homemade with organic cream and stevia and lots of fruit. The fact is that almost every brand of ice cream on the shelves has carrageenan in it, which is what scientists use in the lab to induce inflammation in lab rats--really bad news for those with cancer or those looking to avoid it. Those that don't have carrageenan are not sugar-free. Since it has to be homemade, I won't be eating it very often. Haven't had it since I read about the carrageenan.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
If I ever eat ice cream again, it will be homemade with organic cream and stevia and lots of fruit. The fact is that almost every brand of ice cream on the shelves has carrageenan in it, which is what scientists use in the lab to induce inflammation in lab rats--really bad news for those with cancer or those looking to avoid it. Those that don't have carrageenan are not sugar-free. Since it has to be homemade, I won't be eating it very often. Haven't had it since I read about the carrageenan.
I've heard the same thing. I do make ice cream in the summer in an ice cream machine. I make my own non dairy ice cream but I also make real ice cream for my husband. I use good milk/cream from a farm, stevia, and whatever flavor he wants--chocolate, organic strawberries, whatever he wants, because it's a special treat. It's fun to make ice cream even though it may not be the healthiest thing in the world. At least we can remove some of the more harmful ingredients.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
I wonder if worrying about cancer can give us cancer

Just kidding, folks

On a serious note, I don't think that anybody knows the answers or reasons for getting cancer. If we knew the answers, we would not get cancer. Don't you think so? Believing that eating organic products would prevent cancer is another myth, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer