Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I wonder if worrying about cancer can give us cancer

Just kidding, folks

On a serious note, I don't think that anybody knows the answers or reasons for getting cancer. If we knew the answers, we would not get cancer. Don't you think so? Believing that eating organic products would prevent cancer is another myth, too.
Yep, no one really knows. Some people can smoke all their lives and never get lung cancer. Some people can eat food that's been treated with pesticides and not get cancer. Some people worry themselves to death. There have been entire books written about the power of positive thinking. A lot of it is in the genes and maybe we can't do much about it. Who knows? We do know that some things are carcinogenic and so a lot of people try to avoid them. Some people can be exposed to the carcinogens and yet they don't get cancer. I'd say to not go overboard-- try to keep your diet in moderation without too much of anything that's questionable. But that's all up to debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 04:59 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I wonder if worrying about cancer can give us cancer

Just kidding, folks
You may be kidding but it's not a joke and you may have something there. You've heard of the placebo effect I know, so you know that it's possible for your mind to heal you or hurt you. Most everyone I know who has or had cancer can remember a period of very intense stress just before the dx. Those who don't, of the folks I know, have some condition that carries a whole layer of stress with it, even when things are smooth sailing in their life--a perfect example of what I mean by that is ADHD. I have that and it's stressful at all times and moreso when things are crazy.

But, here's a study that all participating here may want to read: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3871217/
Quote:
Increased sugar uptake promotes oncogenesis via EPAC/RAP1 and O-GlcNAc pathways

There is a considerable resurgence of interest in the role of aerobic glycolysis in cancer; however, increased glycolysis is frequently viewed as a consequence of oncogenic events that drive malignant cell growth and survival. Here we provide evidence that increased glycolytic activation itself can be an oncogenic event in a physiologically relevant 3D culture model. Overexpression of glucose transporter type 3 (GLUT3) in nonmalignant human breast cells activated known oncogenic signaling pathways, including EGFR, β1 integrin, MEK, and AKT, leading to loss of tissue polarity and increased growth.
So I believe that what they're saying is that high sugar consumption can not only feed existing cancer but actually create it! Also, I found these words interesting: "There is a considerable resurgence of interest in the role of aerobic glycolysis in cancer." Dr. Otto Warburg is coming back into fashion, it would appear. BTW, this is a link to the full study and not just the abstract.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Most everyone I know who has or had cancer can remember a period of very intense stress just before the dx. Those who don't, of the folks I know, have some condition that carries a whole layer of stress with it
"Three decades of study have found no direct association between stress and cancer, not even when stress is high enough to cause an anxiety disorder or depression." Monday's medical myth: stress causes cancer

Psychological factors and cancer development: evidence after 30 years of research. - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
here's a study that all participating here may want to read: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3871217/
A sample size of 24? Or am I reading this incorrectly?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Three decades of study have found no direct association between stress and cancer, not even when stress is high enough to cause an anxiety disorder or depression." Monday's medical myth: stress causes cancer

Psychological factors and cancer development: evidence after 30 years of research. - PubMed - NCBI

A sample size of 24? Or am I reading this incorrectly?
You may think cancer is just something to argue about and I don't know if you've ever had cancer. I have. It was preceded by the death of my parents and my ex's parents, all in just over one year! It made my ex nearly go crazy because he had experienced so much death in Viet Nam--the deaths brought it all back. So he ran off and left me. Was going to jump off a bridge.

I was left with a single income to pay a mortgage, and had to sell the house fast with no place to go. About one year later I got cancer. My mother had been diagnosed with cancer right after my dad died. Ex's mother had come down with cancer soon after her husband died. So go ahead and dispute other people's situations.

There is both physical and psychological stress. The doctor who diagnosed my cancer told me the body can't tell the difference: stress is stress. Maybe that would account for my friend who is having cancer surgery tomorrow after having a hip replacement about a month ago, maybe the physical stress wore her down too much--or maybe it was the worry about the surgery or a combination of both. No one can prove it though. I'd say a little bit of compassion would go a mile in this thread!

Oh--and to make sure this stays on topic. I cut way down on sugar and changed my diet to be far healthier after my surgery. I had zero time for recuperation as I was charged with caring for dh and his mental problems. But I still manage to eat fairly healthy meals and to mostly stay away from sugar. If you're a cancer survivor, you do whatever you can to prevent it from getting worse or coming back.

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-23-2016 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 08:56 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'd say a little bit of compassion would go a mile in this thread!
Yes that's been sadly lacking from some of the posters on here. I too went thru a lot of stress before my dx. Five years before I found out I had BC, my husband of 23 years decided to tell me what he should have told me before the wedding. Then everything went downhill from that--I got knifed at work, my g-ma and mom died, and various other stresses just totally wore me down, on top of what I already mentioned with the AD/HD. Then I took a job as a brand-new teacher--not easy under any circumstances, but I had to move to take the job and then got the dx in November of my first year teaching! It was a real blur but my employers were a blessing and gave me the time to do what I needed to do and didn't expect too much.

I dunno, maybe this doesn't sound very professional of me but I'm not sure that I need a study "proving" that stress doesn't cause cancer and I'd guess that it's like sugar--it does it indirectly, but anyone with cancer knows that there's a connection no matter what the study proves. And I think of all the coffee and egg studies--one proves that coffee is very very bad for you and then another proves that it's the healer of every ill. Me? I just stick to one cup a day of organic fair trade coffee. I do everything I can to keep stress low and I don't eat sugary foods. I'd say I'm doing pretty dam good.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:39 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
While some stress is normal, prolonged or intense stress can cause all kinds of problems, including PTSD among other conditions:
10 Stress-Related Health Problems That You Can Fix

Old 02-24-2016, 05:07 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You may think cancer is just something to argue about and I don't know if you've ever had cancer.
I have. I believe in western medicine. I would not be alive if it weren't for chemotherapy.

And no, I don't think it's something to argue about. I'm stating my opinion, just as others have on this thread. And FTR, my oncologist does not believe that sugar causes cancer, nor do his researchers.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I have. I believe in western medicine. I would not be alive if it weren't for chemotherapy.

And no, I don't think it's something to argue about. I'm stating my opinion, just as others have on this thread. And FTR, my oncologist does not believe that sugar causes cancer, nor do his researchers.
Ditto. In fact Saturday marks the ten year anniversary of me starting chemo.

As far as sugar being a cause of or a contributor to my cancer, that is a great big huge negative. Research and data have shown that time and again.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Sex (HPV) can lead to cancer too but most people probably aren't going to give that up. I'm not giving up my sugar.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
It's easy to come up with a "sugar causes cancer" concept, if you're playing "medical telephone." Meaning - you start with "A." You tack on B and get AB. You then switch it around a little and have BA. Then you add on C, and you have BAC. Now switch it again, you have CAB. Now backtrack and add some more, and you now have DBC. Boom - you have now proven that A causes DBC. Except, science and medicine doesn't work that way, which is why there's no proof that sugar causes or leads to cancer.

Diabetes II is a risk factor for cancer, and Diabetes II is also possible (and even likely, but not guaranteed) result of obesity. Too many carbs is one very significant cause of obesity. Sugar is a carb. So by using "medical telephone" you can say:

sugar = carbs = obesity = diabetes II = cancer, therefore sugar = cancer.

Except the only part that is absolutely true is that sugar = carbs. That is the only "absolute" truth in the entire setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer