Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times

Advertisements

I'm a 45 yo female. I've had two cystoscopies done, the first in 1998 and the other in 2004 (or 2005, can't quite remember). I had mine done for recurring UTI's. They are often done by Urologists because they are simple, in office procedures that require relatively little in terms of resources, but provide lots of useful information, in that they are able to get a direct view into the bladder. So, they get a lot of clinical "bang for the buck" if that makes sense.

They are not particularly pleasant experiences, but they are not the most awful thing you can have done either. I actually noticed a vast decrease in level of discomfort between the two I had (I think the technology for the camera and the equipment they use to insert it improved).

Here's what they do:

1. They numb the urethra with a topical anesthetic and leave it on for about 15 minutes.

2. They insert a flexible camera through the urethra into the bladder (via a metal rod, I believe) and distend the bladder with fluid so it will expand and they can visualize it.

3. The visual inspection of the bladder is very quick, only a minute or so.

The discomfort during the actual procedure is not really that bad. Most of the discomfort comes in the 24 hours immediately after whenever you try and void. It feels like you are peeing shards of glass. Going to the bathroom becomes a necessary evil. You will likely see visible blood for a day or two due to the trauma to the urethra.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 10-05-2016 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:20 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
There is an anti-statin wave. Statins have bad side effects.

I seems that recent studies show that cholesterol was unjustified blamed for the occurrence of strokes and heart attacks.
Actually, too low cholesterol can be even more harmful than average cholesterol since cholesterol is needed for the production of various hormones, even sex hormones.

To treat a person whose cholesterol is below 200 with statins is defintely not good.
This cholesterol and statin issue is a hot one and I know I'd never take a statin. A friend took statins for years as her MD had the fear of cholesterol engrained in her brain. She believes the nerve damage she lives with is from the statins she took for a few decades. She's off them now, but the damage is with her. She jumped on a class action suit I think it's against Lipitor.

There is a lot of info about cholesterol not being the bad guy in connection with heart disease. My integrative MD started testing my homocysteine levels a few yrs ago and the level was elevated so I've been taking supps for 3 yrs to lower that level. We don't have concerns about cholesterol. My total is 200something. I'll be getting new labs in Nov as it's been a couple yrs since I had labs done.

There is a long statin thread in the Daily Journal area.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Texas Ag 93 Thank you very much, it does help to know what may happen. Part of my fear of the procedure was not knowing. I was told that I would be under general anesthesia.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:59 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Texas Ag 93 Thank you very much, it does help to know what may happen. Part of my fear of the procedure was not knowing. I was told that I would be under general anesthesia.
Oh, then there must be something else going on and/or complicating factors. Hope things work out for you. So much of the anxiety is the not knowing, isn't it?

Old 10-06-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This cholesterol and statin issue is a hot one and I know I'd never take a statin. A friend took statins for years as her MD had the fear of cholesterol engrained in her brain. She believes the nerve damage she lives with is from the statins she took for a few decades. She's off them now, but the damage is with her. She jumped on a class action suit I think it's against Lipitor.

There is a lot of info about cholesterol not being the bad guy in connection with heart disease. My integrative MD started testing my homocysteine levels a few yrs ago and the level was elevated so I've been taking supps for 3 yrs to lower that level. We don't have concerns about cholesterol. My total is 200something. I'll be getting new labs in Nov as it's been a couple yrs since I had labs done.

Thank you for sharing your friends experience. I hope she is doing well. Yes, what I took was atorvastatin....a generic Lipitor. I was told by the Dr. that only 2% get what I suspect are my symptoms, blood in the urine. And at this point all I have are suspicions based on the warnings I got with the prescription. My Dr. wasn't supportive of my choosing to stop taking it.

I am not trying to bash this type drug, I am sure that for many these type drugs have been helpful otherwise why would they be so widely used.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Oh, then there must be something else going on and/or complicating factors. Hope things work out for you. So much of the anxiety is the not knowing, isn't it?
Yes. It would be beneficial to have someone that would thoroughly explain medical procedures.

I was hoping to have someone do exactly what you did. Describe it blow by blow...

I think it helps to prepare yourself mentally.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Scooby....this isn't a bashing thread. I am a real person, going through real medical issues and others are offering their experiences and support.

Please feel free to give your input on the cystoscopy procedure or blood in the urine and any related issues. It may help me or others.
I think we are all at the mercy of our doctors today and unfortunately of maybe luckily we know too much about our bodies so we question more than we would have 30 years ago. I am a strong believer doctors over prescribe and over test. On the other hand you don't want to dismiss a procedure your doctor recommends and end up with a problem that could have been prevented.

There is no answer that is right for everyone. If it were me, I would probably wait on the procedure. Now, is the drug responsible? I am not a doctor but I do know a little. I am guessing not. We do have to weigh the pros and cons having tests, surgery or taking meds. Are the possible side effects worth it?

bTW: someone said medical field people hate to be doubted or questioned: boy is that true.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we are all at the mercy of our doctors today and unfortunately of maybe luckily we know too much about our bodies so we question more than we would have 30 years ago. I am a strong believer doctors over prescribe and over test. On the other hand you don't want to dismiss a procedure your doctor recommends and end up with a problem that could have been prevented.

There is no answer that is right for everyone. If it were me, I would probably wait on the procedure. Now, is the drug responsible? I am not a doctor but I do know a little. I am guessing not. We do have to weigh the pros and cons having tests, surgery or taking meds. Are the possible side effects worth it?

bTW: someone said medical field people hate to be doubted or questioned: boy is that true.
Yes, 30 years ago I likely wouldn't have questioned as much.

I cancelled the CT yesterday, but second guessed myself today...and rescheduled.

I am afraid of the procedure that may follow, but not knowing what a CT might reveal seemed like a step in the wrong direction.

After reading a few folks suggestions, and discussing it with my husband, it makes more sense to get the CT done rather than wait til my Dr. is back next week. Better to know, and it may be a positive...Gotta hold onto that.

I was able to get right back into the same appointment. Feeling a bit dumb, but this uncertainty is starting to feel normal to me. Boy that is a scary thought.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:52 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Thanks, great post^^^^^!

Old 10-06-2016, 02:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your friends experience. I hope she is doing well. Yes, what I took was atorvastatin....a generic Lipitor. I was told by the Dr. that only 2% get what I suspect are my symptoms, blood in the urine. And at this point all I have are suspicions based on the warnings I got with the prescription. My Dr. wasn't supportive of my choosing to stop taking it.

I am not trying to bash this type drug, I am sure that for many these type drugs have been helpful otherwise why would they be so widely used.
Maybe stop thinking cholesterol is the bad guy. Read Dr. Sinatra's load of sites on cholesterol and statins and heart health in general. I have a thread on Heart Health either in Alternatives or Daily Journal and a lot of info based on Dr. Sinatra's research and offerings.

I do bash drugs as I've seen a lot of damage on myself and family members and then there is the whole population out there. BTW: I take a couple of innocent meds and found recently that an innocent otc med Ibuprofen was keeping my blood pressure elevated. Vicious cycles of injuries.

Lots of money being made on the cholesterol/statin fear. Many doctors like Dr. Perlmutter too talk about the need for cholesterol.

I can't change my feelings and thinkings. Too many years in the alternative medicine world for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer