Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:40 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoQueen View Post
This doesn't appear to be cancer to me with all of my research. This is a blood test I will request then go from there. it appears the cost is around $200 CA 125 test: A screening test for ovarian cancer? - Mayo Clinic

And it sounds as if soon there will be another very accurate blood test coming out. It has to go thru a second trial but the first was very promising
Blood Test Detects Ovarian Cancer

I am not at risk at all. If anything, my lifestyle doesn't lend itself to cancer. But you Neve rknow. The blood dissipated very quickly which is the mannerisms of a hormonal issue. With two more exams and that blood test, for now, that is all I'll likely do. Then probably an expensive test, there is a mirage to choose from so I'll let a Doc decide.
Abnormal bleeding around the time of menopause can be a sign of a precancerous or cancerous condition of the uterine lining. It can happen with no family history of it. Hormone issues can predispose to it.

You need to see someone who can do the appropriate testing, which is usually an inexpensive biopsy of the uterine lining and possibly an ultrasound.

The best person to see would be a gynecologist.

There is no blood test that can reliably diagnose ovarian cancer. Your first link explains why CA 125 should not be used to screen for ovarian cancer. The second describes a test to be used for patients who are already known to have pelvic abnormalities.

Please do not try to self diagnose and decide what tests you think you need.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:44 PM

186 posts, read 131,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Abnormal bleeding around the time of menopause can be a sign of a precancerous or cancerous condition of the uterine lining. It can happen with no family history of it. Hormone issues can predispose to it.

You need to see someone who can do the appropriate testing, which is usually an inexpensive biopsy of the uterine lining and possibly an ultrasound.

The best person to see would be a gynecologist.

There is no blood test that can reliably diagnose ovarian cancer. Your first link explains why CA 125 should not be used to screen for ovarian cancer. The second describes a test to be used for patients who are already known to have pelvic abnormalities.

Please do not try to self diagnose and decide what tests you think you need.
You didn't read the entire link. It has a 50% chance of catching the Cancer BUT it also catches many other issues I'd like to rule out eventually.. So it never hurts as it can point to many other issues. I've done my homework here. And I've already posted that I will see a Gynecologist so that was addressed

And the other link IS a very promising blood test for detecting ovarian cancer which is still in it's early stage. I've never heard of a blood test with a 95% success rate. Here is the link again if you are interested. http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Cancer.../04/id/799795/

Yes again I will see a gynecologist as soon as the insurance kicks in, about 5 wks. If I have it, I'd be in the EARLY STAGES per the signs. Nothing is absolute but it's pretty accurate. It is VERY important to get educated not letting uneducated people who cannot fully read posts or click links to just babble on.

Until then, I'll see my regular Doctor. You are correct about the other info posted though. FYI: Getting educated is NOT self diagnosis, please don't discourage ANYONE ever again from not learning as much about this stuff themselves as they can. especially under these circumstances.

Last edited by BingoQueen; 07-06-2017 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 10:06 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
It is VERY important to get educated not letting uneducated people who cannot fully read posts or click links to just babble on.

please don't discourage ANYONE ever again from not learning as much about this stuff themselves as they can. especially under these circumstances.
"Educated" through the Internet? You can't be serious.

You have some very serious symptoms. People here are simply advising you to see a medical professional.

Quote:
I've had almost non stop heavy vaginal bleeding for the 6-8 weeks.
Suzy_q is right about the CA 125; it is normally used only if the woman has already been treated for ovarian cancer.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
You didn't read the entire link. It has a 50% chance of catching the Cancer BUT it also catches many other issues I'd like to rule out eventually.. So it never hurts as it can point to many other issues. I've done my homework here. And I've already posted that I will see a Gynecologist so that was addressed

And the other link IS a very promising blood test for detecting ovarian cancer which is still in it's early stage. I've never heard of a blood test with a 95% success rate. Here is the link again if you are interested. Blood Test Detects Ovarian Cancer

Yes again I will see a gynecologist as soon as the insurance kicks in, about 5 wks. If I have it, I'd be in the EARLY STAGES per the signs. Nothing is absolute but it's pretty accurate. It is VERY important to get educated not letting uneducated people who cannot fully read posts or click links to just babble on.

Until then, I'll see my regular Doctor. You are correct about the other info posted though. FYI: Getting educated is NOT self diagnosis, please don't discourage ANYONE ever again from not learning as much about this stuff themselves as they can. especially under these circumstances.
Tell your doctor you saw it on the internet and see his/her reaction. yes, it is fine to come here or even check websites to get some information, but you will not get educated from reading about what you think might be wrong or the correct treatment for this or that, via the net. In fact you are more likely to get either conflicting information or too broad information.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Educated" through the Internet? You can't be serious.

You have some very serious symptoms. People here are simply advising you to see a medical professional.

Suzy_q is right about the CA 125; it is normally used only if the woman has already been treated for ovarian cancer.
The internet doesn't educate. It is an online mechanism to transmit information. You DO realize this right? It has no means to educate anyone. A real time mechanism would be a library. You would never say I was educated by a library would you?? A library doesn't educate. So you make no sense.Y ou can say I learned through a College Textbook rented from the library. Or online classes from Harvard Lawschool using their library computers.

My son was taking many online college classes which replaced books to be a physical therapist. He wasn't. being educated by the internet. Please use common sense.

The CA 125 is something people need to study BEFORE coming onto the forum to discourage others. Get educated first BEFORE posting a discouragement about ANY blood test. Then compare it to your own health history and symptoms. You know your body the best. Compare it to your own symptoms and health history. then talk to your doctor. We have a family FULL Of Medical professionals, this is common sense advice. Please do not attempt to discourage anything less.

Right now the symptoms have completely disappeared. Talking to my BIL who owns a surgery center says that means we can rule out many things. This is GOOD. Not bad. It narrows down the issue which originally caused it. I have an exam on Monday so we'll see further. He is calling my Doctor to discuss it with her. He lives in another state.

Last edited by BingoQueen; 07-08-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tell your doctor you saw it on the internet and see his/her reaction. yes, it is fine to come here or even check websites to get some information, but you will not get educated from reading about what you think might be wrong or the correct treatment for this or that, via the net. In fact you are more likely to get either conflicting information or too broad information.
What you are trying to say makes no sense. The internet is a MECHANISM to transmit info. Similar to a library. You can read a magazine for medical info or you can read the medical textbooks. You can go online to the Mayo Clinic website or go to a wellness site such as Prevention magazine, your choice.
And of course others experiences could help me learn what is wrong with me. You make no sense whatsoever. People learn from one another DAILY.

We have no GP's in our family and my MIL has passed on but we did have a GYNO (My SIL) who passed away. We also had two nurses, and my BIL owns a Surgery Center. My son is still going to be a Physical Therapist though it's going much slower due to him stopping to work some years F/T for Apple.

Last edited by BingoQueen; 07-08-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 03:01 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
The CA 125 is something people need to study BEFORE coming onto the forum to discourage others. Get educated first BEFORE posting a discouragement about ANY blood test. Then compare it to your own health history and symptoms. You know your body the best.
You are misinformed about the CA 125. It does not detect ovarian cancer in its early stages. And no average person without medical training should be diagnosing their own medical conditions.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
What you are trying to say makes no sense. The internet is a MECHANISM to transmit info. Similar to a library. You can read a magazine for medical info or you can read the medical textbooks. You can go online to the Mayo Clinic website or go to a wellness site such as Prevention magazine, your choice.
And of course others experiences could help me learn what is wrong with me. You make no sense whatsoever. People learn from one another DAILY.

We have no GP's in our family and my MIL has passed on but we did have a GYNO (My SIL) who passed away. We also had two nurses, and my BIL owns a Surgery Center. My son is still going to be a Physical Therapist though it's going much slower due to him stopping to work some years F/T for Apple.
No one here can do a physical examination. Neither can your BIL, I presume. Is he a doctor as well as a businessman?

The fact that the symptoms have stopped for now does not rule out anything.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You are misinformed about the CA 125. It does not detect ovarian cancer in its early stages. And no average person without medical training should be diagnosing their own medical conditions.
Also, not all ovarian cancers make CA 125. Chasing elevated levels can lead to unnecessary additional testing and sometimes even unneeded surgery.

CA 125 test: A screening test for ovarian cancer? - Mayo Clinic

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovaria...detection.html

Old 07-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
There are many issues this can be, not just ovarian cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer