Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 12:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was suckered in the first time but since the theme is similar in a few threads and everyone begs the person to get treatment. I think it’s a troll who likes the attention. It’s very unusual for someone young to refuse treatment for a curable cancer.
You’re likely correct. If he isn’t pining for attention, I hope he follows through treatment. If it is trolling, shame on them.

This sort of thing hits close to home for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I disagree. He apparently has a better than 2 out of 3 chance of survival, but has chosen to give up because he doesn't like the side effects of the treatment. I fail to understand what's brave about that. It's certainly his right to choose to die rather than to fight through the side effects, but I wouldn't call it brave to do so.
I'd say it's pretty brave to do what he wants despite the fact that most people, including strangers on the internet, are judging him so strongly for it as if they believe it's a personal affront.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:18 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'd say it's pretty brave to do what he wants despite the fact that most people, including strangers on the internet, are judging him so strongly for it as if they believe it's a personal affront.
With the number of people in the world who've been touched by cancer, either themselves or with their family or friends, it's not surprising that so many people have anecdotal evidence suggesting other options. I don't see the replies as people taking his choice as a personal affront, more like they can't believe, knowing what we all know about survivability rates particularly for testicular cancer, that someone would just give up like this. It's literally one of the most successful to treat of all cancers out there, even after metastatisis.

I personally watched my 70 year old mom have to go through 4 rounds of intense chemo and 37 rounds of radiation for treatment of breast cancer 2 years ago. She lost her hair and she cried so many times that she couldn't do it. But she got through it and she was back to her usual activities again, 6 months after her last radiation treatment. Her hair grew back too! Although it's a completely different color and texture, interestingly. She says she can't believe she made it through all that but now she's back to living her life to its fullest. If she would've given up then we'd be having ba very different discussion right now.

There are tons of stories like my mom's and it's because these people stayed the course and got treated. It definitely sucks really bad while going through the treatment. It is definitely not for the faint of heart. But the point is that how you feel while on treatment is a temporary state until the treatment has completed and then the side effects are over. That's the part that this guy doesn't seem to understand. It's not like how he felt on chemo is how he will feel for the rest of his life! He just doesn't get it.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:47 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Most people?

Please point out one post in this thread that is judging him (other than the people who think the entire thread is a troll).

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 11-06-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-06-2019, 02:26 PM

91 posts, read 59,081 times
Quote:
Most people?

Please point out one post in this thread that is judging him (other than the people who think the entire thread is a troll).
Most people? Yes. The general tone of the responses here is that I (or my mom or someone else I know) survived cancer & all the horrible side effects of the treatments, therefore you should too. The OP has already said he's aware treatment could extend his life but he's not willing to subject himself to that living hell. And yet people keep telling him over & over, yes you really SHOULD.

As to whether he's a troll, if I'm wrong & the OP is legit, I apologize. But some of us suspect he or she may be a troll because there have been several very similar threads lately where someone is claiming to be a young person who's refusing cancer treatment.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:32 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleasher View Post
It can extend my life but I'm not willing to pay the price. To me, life has to be lived in full - not in and out of hospital. Otherwise it's not worth it.

Thank you for your input.
Respect your opinion. I would do/feel the same.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:39 PM

8 posts, read 5,103 times
You should have the treatment. It can still be beaten.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:51 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Most people?

Find me more than one or two posts on this thread that are NOT telling him to get treatment and try to live despite him saying that was not his wish. You don't think that's judgment? You have an interesting way of seeing things.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hill View Post

The general tone of the responses here is that I (or my mom or someone else I know) survived cancer & all the horrible side effects of the treatments, therefore you should too. The OP has already said he's aware treatment could extend his life but he's not willing to subject himself to that living hell. And yet people keep telling him over & over, yes you really SHOULD.
The point is that the side effects are temporary and only last as long as the treatment. Quality of life only suffers for a temporary length of time. That's the point. Death is permanent. And most people would agree that Temporary Side Effects > Permanent Death.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:02 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
The point is that the side effects are temporary and only last as long as the treatment. Quality of life only suffers for a temporary length of time. That's the point. Death is permanent. And most people would agree that Temporary Side Effects > Permanent Death.
You have stated beautifully. That is the point many of us were trying to make.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer