Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 11:02 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times

Advertisements

I live in New York State. Several months ago, my nearly new (less than a year old at the time) car was rear-ended by another car. The other driver openly admitted fault to the police, the accident was considered 100% his fault, and his insurance paid for my car to be repaired. As far as I can tell, the car was in pre-accident condition after being repaired. There were no injuries.

However, since the car now has an accident on its record, it loses much of its value. In fact, a dealer offered $0 for my previous car for no reason other than the fact that it had an accident on its record (in that case, my fault) that didn't even cause any damage.

Since, through no fault of my own, my nearly new car is now nearly worthless, what is the law in New York about recovering the diminished value? I read a lot of conflicting info online about the law in NY? The other driver's insurance company says that insurance does not cover diminished value, since it is nothing more than a scam created by dealers. Whether that is true or not, my car is still worth far less than it was before the accident, through no fault of my own. I thought that the at fault driver's insurance company was responsible for making me whole.

If New York does allow me to file a diminished value claim, then what is the procedure?

If New York does not allow me to make a diminished value claim, then do I have any further recourse, such as taking the other driver to small claims court? In that case, who do I take the court: the other driver, the owner of the vehicle (the driver's father), the insurance company, the passenger who caused the distraction, or all of the above?

Or, am I just out of luck?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 11:21 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
I should ask another somewhat unrelated question: this accident shows up on my driver abstract, even though it was not my fault. The abstract lists all accidents, regardless of fault. However, many employers refuse to hire anybody who doesn't have a "clean" driving record. Is there any recourse that I can take to get the accident removed from my abstract, or am I just out of luck? Thanks.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:29 AM

12 posts, read 25,843 times
Diminished value in New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance