Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 AM

696 posts, read 702,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Yes they get certified every 6 months and if they don't die fast enough, then they revoke all their support. It's devistating. Just one reason why calling Hospice at the very last minute is good. I learned and am on my third person, hes already out lived our last minute It's too bad Hospice ever came into being, they are the worst organization I've ever dealt with. Plain Evil. Stepford Nurses, they are not like real Nurses at all. You have to do all your own online researching which is hard when you are so exhausted and they are ill

I am dying in a Hospital, what a joke Hospice is. I don't care which hospice you get, they're all the same.
The negatives are not worth it "to keep your family at home" That is nice but it should not be the goal over comfort
My mom's doctor called in hospice when it was clear she wouldn't live much longer, and they were great. They were at the house 24/7 and even did the laundry for my father. I feel it takes someone special to do the work they do. I'm sorry you didn't have the same experience with hospice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Yes they get certified every 6 months and if they don't die fast enough, then they revoke all their support. It's devistating. Just one reason why calling Hospice at the very last minute is good. I learned and am on my third person, hes already out lived our last minute It's too bad Hospice ever came into being, they are the worst organization I've ever dealt with. Plain Evil. Stepford Nurses, they are not like real Nurses at all. You have to do all your own online researching which is hard when you are so exhausted and they are ill

I am dying in a Hospital, what a joke Hospice is. I don't care which hospice you get, they're all the same.
The negatives are not worth it "to keep your family at home" That is nice but it should not be the goal over comfort
We had an entirely different experience with Hospice. The nurse and team attached to my Father in Laws
care were wonderful. She made excellent decisions on his health care, and even helped train us as how to care for him when she wasn't here.

She prescribed medication that the VA refused to; that helped with his mental condition. This allowed us to finally get some sleep, and calmed FIL so he could too.

She would come over anytime we had an emergency. She brought things that she thought he might need.

My wife often said she doesn't know how she could have cared for her Dad without his Angel of a Nurse.
The outfit was Hope Hospice. Thanks for all you did for all 3 of us Pam

Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 PM

920 posts, read 931,279 times
Thank you for your input you two. I don't want to hyjack the thread so I'll just say the care in Hospice can be quite barbaric due to their agenda whereas dying in a hospital is much more comfortable place to die. All Hospices have the same rules to follow.

It can be quite the opposite depending upon your loved one's health issues but it's not worth the risk. Meaning they can die very comfortably or not. Whereas the hospital will ensure their basic needs are met. Sure they may not be killed off there by drugs but the time they are there, will be more comfortable even if prolonged. Of course that depends so you are only going off of likelihood.

I'd use Hospice again but would need to watch them like a hawk and be the dictator of everything that happens. My guess is they would just eventually leave. And I suggest to everyone to always consult a private doctor. Don't take a Hospice's Nurses word for ANYTHING. They are not like other Nurses whatsoever.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:34 PM

We are all entitled to what we have experienced. I am so sorry yours was a bad experience. Our Hospice care was wonderful.

'Not a regular Nurse?'

Hell no, that was the beauty. (VA sent us that) Hospice was trained in end of life care. She had studied all things in this field very open minded.

You must have run into trainees, we met actual caring, 30 yrs. experience people.

Wish it had been the same for you.

I appreciate your kindness; love for your MIL. And anyone who has bothered to read this entire thread would see that.

Last edited by TerraDown; 11-20-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
We are all entitled to what we have experienced. I am so sorry yours was a bad experience. Our Hospice care was wonderful.

'Not a regular Nurse?'

Hell no, that was the beauty. (VA sent us that) Hospice was trained in end of life care. She had studied all things in this field very open minded.

You must have run into trainees, we met actual caring, 30 yrs. experience people.

Wish it had been the same for you.

I appreciate your kindness; love for your MIL. And anyone who has bothered to read this entire thread would see that.
No actually the head nurse did most of our care. She has 20 years experience and lives down the street from us. They came from a wide area but she did not. She oversaw many Nurses and our hospice is known as one of the best. Please don't spread misinformation, they are all SET UP The same way. To kill your loved one off as quickly as possible. Hence why you promise not to send your loved one to the hospital. That should be a red flag right there. Do so and hospice is gone because they haven't acheived that goal. Yes it is SET UP that way.

I have no issue with the Nurses training, we got the head nurse. She oversaw other nurses. It's the indoctrination to deny basic needs.

The Nurses anywhere else, are not trained to be this barbaric. They are sick people, the program attracts those types.

They actually are told while they OD them on unnecessary drugs they are "comfort measures". They suffer greatly due to the hoorendous drug overdose. Of course all people health issues are different so it may never get this far or be this way. So it's possible to be unaware. But I've done hospice 3 times now. The first two times with a smaller hospice, second and third with a very reputable one. Larger so it had more resources. Also did the re-search upon how this barbaric unconsiounable stuff could happen.

People always allow your loved one the best possible care via the hospital. Any program or person which discourages use of a hospital or wants to replace your primary care doctor with their own medical staff should be questioned. But hey, it saves Mr. Taxpayer and as usual, that is the bottom line. Allow them to come, take vitals and assist. But when your loved one is truly sick and in uuter pain, admit him to the hospital and tell hospice goodbye. They can manage the pain much better, in a humane way we all deserve

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 11-21-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 10:48 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,329,197 times
That wasn't my experience, but both of the people I sat with were completely unresponsive. They were on death's doorstep. Interestingly, they both lived longer than anyone expected. When the doctor says, "I don't think she's going to make it through the night", you expect them to die. They lost that bet. They both lived for another week. One was at home care and the other one inpatient hospice.

The family docs didn't disappear. The doctor of the person in home care called once and stopped by for a few minutes on the way home one day. We could call and talk to him if we needed to. The doctor of the one who was inpatient stopped in every day, looked at the chart, talked to the staff, and talked to the family.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That wasn't my experience, but both of the people I sat with were completely unresponsive. They were on death's doorstep. Interestingly, they both lived longer than anyone expected. When the doctor says, "I don't think she's going to make it through the night", you expect them to die. They lost that bet. They both lived for another week. One was at home care and the other one inpatient hospice.

The family docs didn't disappear. The doctor of the person in home care called once and stopped by for a few minutes on the way home one day. We could call and talk to him if we needed to. The doctor of the one who was inpatient stopped in every day, looked at the chart, talked to the staff, and talked to the family.
I am not doing hospice for my 92 yr old FIL yet...did it 3 times already the last 2 years. I was helping him until my BIL paid caregivers to let me go. These caregivers aren't allowed to disperse meds so when my FIL cannot do so, he will need me to start caring for him in their place. Here is the prank they recently pulled. They had been there just twice! My 92 year old FIL is walking, talking, shuffling very slow...and has all of his facilities. Goes online, does his online banking, etc...But some days he is almost unable to get out of bed. Needs help with his lunch and toileting. Within the first week, he had a small tear in his back due to a pain patch I had placed on him and he never had the caregiver take it off in time. His old skin teared a little when it was pulled off. so a bandaid was placed there. No infection but hospice used this as an excuse to start administering Morphine!!!

He got so sick and nauteous He threw up. Drank as much water as he could, it causes an unbearable thirst. He remained ill and demanded they NEVER give him morphine. His Doctor will now prescribe ALL MEDS. Hospice Nurse did not call the Doctor first. So in essence, yes his Doctor was replaced by Hospice medical team who took liberties beyond a sane persons imagination. Yes shockingly, she is a Nurse who overdosed him with morphine while he was totally coherent and uninterested in pain medication.

Morphine for a small surface tear half the size of the length of a dime in his back???!! I made an appointment for his regular doctor who cared for the tear. This is a hospice his Sutter Medical Plan sent him. The paid caregiver is watching Hospice closely, they are not allowed to administer medications but do help with other things. So far so good as long as they are being supervised, Hospice should never be allowed to be alone with any patient.

It is Hospice doing what it does best and what I've experienced over and over. Kill them off as quick as possible with their drug overdoses of Morphine/Hallucinogens. All under the guise of "comfort" it is so sick. And because people are in a state of trauma, they actually buy this BS. This is A HELL of a Barbaric way to go. If you want more stories, Pm me. I can hook you up with other members here with similar stories and worse. I am engaging with one at the moment but others have contacted me. That is not the end, I have more with other Hospices but won't bother with telling them now. Thank God he is the last elderly person we have left to oversee.

Anyhow since now all my FIL meds are prescribed by his Doc, and I am told by his caregiver(s) that the Hospice Nurse is LIVID. Still makes snide comments about how she couldn't get her way (to make him suffer). I asked her to be replaced but my FIL wouldn't agree so oh well. I guess she stays for now...

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 11-22-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 04:47 AM

Outdoorsy Gal:
"Please don't spread misinformation, they are all SET UP The same way. To kill your loved one off as quickly as possible."

Please don't attack or make accusatory remarks (spreading misinformation???) to me for my experience. Yours was different. Our Hospice Nurse came to visit over the period of a year and change, renewing her time with him 3 times. She was dedicated and kind. She thought out of the box, and offered many suggestions that helped my FIL live longer. She did not hasten his death, she extended his quality of life. Because of her, when he died; his skin was pristine, not one bed sore.
He was not in pain. If that's because she knew it was time to offer him morphine to dull his senses, it is no less than we do for our pets who have ended their journey in this world.

We all experience different things and people in life. Our experience was different than yours.

Accept that other people have other experiences. If every Hospice care in the Nation had impression such as yours they'd be shut down through the complaint dept. alone.

I understand your passion, your Hospice team must have been one to be reported. That does not mean they are all bad.

For what it's worth, back in the mid-80's I had a good friend whose Mother the Hospital killed. He vowed never to take another relative to one again.

Last edited by TerraDown; 11-23-2015 at 05:28 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Outdoorsy Gal:
"Please don't spread misinformation, they are all SET UP The same way. To kill your loved one off as quickly as possible."

Please don't attack or make accusatory remarks (spreading misinformation???) to me for my experience. Yours was different. Our Hospice Nurse came to visit over the period of a year and change, renewing her time with him 3 times. She was dedicated and kind. She thought out of the box, and offered many suggestions that helped my FIL live longer. She did not hasten his death, she extended his quality of life. Because of her, when he died; his skin was pristine, not one bed sore.
He was not in pain. If that's because she knew it was time to offer him morphine to dull his senses, it is no less than we do for our pets who have ended their journey in this world.

We all experience different things and people in life. Our experience was different than yours.

Accept that other people have other experiences. If every Hospice care in the Nation had impression such as yours they'd be shut down through the complaint dept. alone.

I understand your passion, your Hospice team must have been one to be reported. That does not mean they are all bad.

For what it's worth, back in the mid-80's I had a good friend whose Mother the Hospital killed. He vowed never to take another relative to one again.
The program is set up that way. Because you had a Nurse who didn't follow the program doesn't mean others need to be duped into this misinformation spreading to believe otherwise because you got lucky.
It is what it is, yes there are guidelines but you must do your own research to learn their rules. Their rules govern the program which must happen in order for funding to occur. Again, I am glad you had someone who didn't follow the rules but it doesn't make it the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving