Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 07:02 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
OK well after a few delays with prior commitments. I called Hospice and they have a volunteer program with a one day training course. The next one in my area is June. So seems a long way off thinking June the middle of the year then shocked myself to remember this is already the first of May. I filled out an application and when I am accepted to take the course they do a background check or I take the course then they do a background check and I will be put on the volunteer list for my local area. She said I would be the only one up here and could do as much or little work as I choose. They really need some one in my area. So Thank you all for directing me to hospice. No license needed. Going in under their program covers me. I feel so good about this. It will give me purpose. More than just taking care of me. I will be helping others and we all know having walked the caretaker path how much a little kindness and help goes to make it easier for what we are going through.
Well, that sounds just wonderful! I think it will be good for them and good for you. I'm so happy for you that you were able to find something so quickly. And yes, June does sound so far away and that's funny how you mentioned that and then about realizing that it's already May. That surprised me, too!

My husband is the medical director for a local hospice in the area where we live, so I know first hand how much they need and appreciate volunteers like you. I think you will be such an asset.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Well, that sounds just wonderful! I think it will be good for them and good for you. I'm so happy for you that you were able to find something so quickly. And yes, June does sound so far away and that's funny how you mentioned that and then about realizing that it's already May. That surprised me, too!

My husband is the medical director for a local hospice in the area where we live, so I know first hand how much they need and appreciate volunteers like you. I think you will be such an asset.
Thank you vrexy. I do hope I can be helpful. Just having been in the caretaker position myself and not that long ago I remember well the need for rest. Worries me a bit I am the only one in my area to do this and she told me I would have as much work as I wanted. I hope not too much. I will do what I can. I was thinking a couple maybe three days a week depending on how many hours each day. But then I am on no schedule here so I can work around here in the evenings/ I do not worry about having to fix a meal for someone waiting on me at home. I think this will be a good thing. Keeping fingers crossed.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:45 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
It will be very!!!!! important for you to set your own boundaries and stick to them. I have even seen quilters who do work for others get so sucked into the jobs they take on that their own family suffers.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
It will be very!!!!! important for you to set your own boundaries and stick to them. I have even seen quilters who do work for others get so sucked into the jobs they take on that their own family suffers.
So true sweetana3. I have been in volunteer situations were they suck the life out of a person volunteering. I will do the best I can because I do not want to deplete myself like I did when caring for my own husband. Will be interesting on the training course. The lady indicated it is mostly about hippa rules. I will take my notebook. I would imagine they also give hand outs. I can look back through the tote of paperwork given to hubby through hospice I think there was a binder or something there. I do not remember I put all of that away quickly as it just brought heartache to see it laying around.

After telling my online friend of ten years about my plans last night she said I would be good at this. I hope she is right. I know I am very much an introvert, except online, so this is stepping out of my box big time. Some times I think we are nudged in the right direction. I hope so. Mostly it will give me something to do I know I am good at and can still do. I am almost 69 but in great physical shape. Mental Well WE can always pretend on that one. Hahahahah

Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
My exercise instructor is 70 so dont disparage your age. :-) Volunteer activities can continue as long as you are able regardless of age.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
My exercise instructor is 70 so dont disparage your age. :-) Volunteer activities can continue as long as you are able regardless of age.
I really like this idea. And I am working hard to stay young and fit.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:46 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
That's wonderful news shades_of_idaho about the volunteering class with hospice. I'm sure you'll be of great comfort to those who need it. Giving back, in whatever way we can, gives life a real purpose. It sounds like a perfect fit for you.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's wonderful news shades_of_idaho about the volunteering class with hospice. I'm sure you'll be of great comfort to those who need it. Giving back, in whatever way we can, gives life a real purpose. It sounds like a perfect fit for you.
Thank you HereOnmars, I do hope so. I am excited about this and pushing a little ,until I get to take the class , to finish up things around here. I was dragging my heels a bit not really wanting my long long project list to end. With my active brain I am sure there will always be something to do to fix to dream up. This is life. The actual list was large projects. I threw myself into working almost to exhaustion to get through my own grief. Not that I am through it I am just in a better place now. We all have our own ways of coping. A freshly painted house inside and out and dolled up and big yard work plans completed all but the waiting for things to grow. Looks and feels good. I can look it all over and say "I did That. All by myself. My own little paradise." From carpentry to painting to landscaping to decorating to art I have crazy talents. I still have a small wood shed to build and finish cleaning up the garage I keep messing up with my projects. LOL And figure something for my new little carport patio be it pavers or gravel. Can not decide.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:41 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
shades, things will be great! You have your own hobbies that make you happy and that's really important. Those things are about YOU, things you can always turn to when you need to recharge your battery and do something for YOU.

Meanwhile, over here, yesterday morning was crazy--she was due to be discharged from the psych ward, put into a van, and carted over 200 miles away to the memory care unit. The social worker called and had just left my cousin's house where she had packed up some clothes and personal items (the place had a list and I had added a few of my own.)

I made a few other calls--the real estate agent, the assisted living place to talk about paperwork...then got another call from the social worker--she put her into the van-with-parrot and my cousin is on her way to assisted living!

The social worker said she was thrilled to be reunited with her *&^%$#@ parrot (social worker had to keep it out in her car overnight, lol) and we had a few laughs. AND my cousin asked, "is this going to be temporary or PERMANENT?" Wow! I think the people at the hospital must have been working with her to get it into her head that she cannot go back to her home! She actually used the word PERMANENT!

I'm not outa the woods yet--there is a lot more work involved with the sale of the house and paying all the accumulated bills--but it's a relief to know that she is in THEIR care, not mine by remote control! Breathe.

shades__of__Idaho, this will apply to you too. At the end, the social worker told me I had done an outstanding job and that I am a very kind hearted person. Said I would have made a great social worker. Same to you, I am sure.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:28 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
OK well after a few delays with prior commitments. I called Hospice and they have a volunteer program with a one day training course. The next one in my area is June. So seems a long way off thinking June the middle of the year then shocked myself to remember this is already the first of May. I filled out an application and when I am accepted to take the course they do a background check or I take the course then they do a background check and I will be put on the volunteer list for my local area. She said I would be the only one up here and could do as much or little work as I choose. They really need some one in my area. So Thank you all for directing me to hospice. No license needed. Going in under their program covers me. I feel so good about this. It will give me purpose. More than just taking care of me. I will be helping others and we all know having walked the caretaker path how much a little kindness and help goes to make it easier for what we are going through.
How very kind of you. Thank you. Please be certain to only commit to no more than half the time that "you could". You will need that off time to re-charge, live your life, and not become totally consumed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving