Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 05:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Girl, just forget about him right now. He's fine. He's back out of the state. It's time to get your holiday spirit on.
You are not kidding and it's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG! My daughter and her husband and my four perfect grandkids are driving in this evening! I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You are not kidding and it's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG! My daughter and her husband and my four perfect grandkids are driving in this evening! I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!!!!!!!!!
HOORAY! Enjoy and live for the day! Have fun, relax--Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 AM

They are here! I hear rustling around upstairs so they're waking up. They drove 14 hours in one day - ugh. We had a very pleasant evening with them when they got in. WOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:13 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here on the Care-giving forum! May loads be lightened and family or friends and good food be enjoyed.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:20 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They are here! I hear rustling around upstairs so they're waking up. They drove 14 hours in one day - ugh. We had a very pleasant evening with them when they got in. WOOHOOOOO!!!!!
Happy Thanksgiving to your family, KA!! Glad they arrived safe and sound after a long drive. Best wishes for the many memories you'll be making this weekend! I know your mom and the residents there will enjoy hearing your grandchildren playing their instruments. I play piano and organ, and for several years I used to play hymns twice a month for a Sunday service at a Nursing facility.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:18 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Sister is insisting I come. Step-brother might come, which would be great. I really don't know them since we were kids. Brother's situation has brought me and sister together. Interesting, as caregiving seemed to rip at the seams of my bio-family for so long. I hate to count chickens that aren't hatched but brother is fine for the first time in so many years and now this. Feels nice.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:15 PM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Had a few relatives over and it was a nice change.

After they left, I called my cousin in memory care (other side of the family) and she asked when I was coming to take her home. That was unexpected. She kept saying to take her back to her house. I tried to explain that the place she lives is her home now and she got mad, said she hates it there, does she have to live there for the rest of her life? and hung up on me.

So that is that.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:23 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

After they left, I called my cousin in memory care (other side of the family) and she asked when I was coming to take her home. That was unexpected. She kept saying to take her back to her house. I tried to explain that the place she lives is her home now and she got mad, said she hates it there, does she have to live there for the rest of her life? and hung up on me.

So that is that.
We went through those type of discussions with my mother. We would try to reason with her before we accepted that the dementia was making her unreasonable.

We were advised at a dementia seminar that if the dementia is becoming advanced, it is best to say something such as we will discuss you going home with the doctor. Or we might be able to take you next week. I found it really hard to basically lie to my mother but this strategy seemed to work, keeping her calm.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
We went through those type of discussions with my mother. We would try to reason with her before we accepted that the dementia was making her unreasonable.

We were advised at a dementia seminar that if the dementia is becoming advanced, it is best to say something such as we will discuss you going home with the doctor. Or we might be able to take you next week. I found it really hard to basically lie to my mother but this strategy seemed to work, keeping her calm.
Thanks. She used to say I stole her car. Or stole something else. But ever since she's been in memory care, she hasn't been like that. But here we go again. Makes me not even want to go visit her if I'm going to get that. They do say to go just before dinner in case the person throws you out or things become otherwise unpleasant. Then at least you can go get something to eat somewhere.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

So that is that.
Oh my, just a few months ago my mom was on this tear - now she's got such severe dementia she can hardly even communicate at all - that's how short a time between stages it was for her.

These are hard conversations so my advice is simply, don't try to reason with her and certainly don't argue with her. Change the subject and if she comes back around to it, just say "Oh, gotta go!" and exit.

It does get easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving