Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times

Advertisements

I rarely hear people in polite society denigrating dogs and dog owners. It seems to be socially acceptable to hate cats and cat people. I know it is only a vocal minority, but it is very tiresome. I believe that is the reason for some upset people in this thread.

I know in my own case that I have two relatives who make nasty comments about my cats (whom they have only seen once or twice because I don't invite rude people over a lot) being creepy and evil. When they heard me mention at a family dinner that we got our third cat, they both cackled and said watch out, you're a crazy cat lady now, rolled their eyes, and snickered loudly for a minute before resuming their prior conversation. They both have dogs who have bad breath and have jumped all over me, but I would NEVER make such comments to them. I'm not really a dog lover, but I am an animal lover and I understand that that is how dogs behave sometimes. Anybody who makes a sweeping statement that they hate ALL [fill in the animal] has issues if you ask me. Just like no two people are alike, no two dogs or cats are alike either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I rarely hear people in polite society denigrating dogs and dog owners. It seems to be socially acceptable to hate cats and cat people. I know it is only a vocal minority, but it is very tiresome. I believe that is the reason for some upset people in this thread.
It's a holdover from the Dark Ages. Cats were witches' familiars and conduits for the Devil. They even caused the plague -- dontcha know?!?!

Seems some behaviors and social conventions take a long time to outgrow.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 09-10-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 PM

408 posts, read 809,202 times
I never understood why people hated cats (usually men) that I've met anyway. I personally prefer cats to dogs...I own 2 cats and 2 dogs but have always been more fond of my cat. I like her independence...whereas the dogs are kind of like children, more needy and more demanding.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
I don't understand cat hatred, either. I enjoy cats, and they seem to really love me, but I learned the hard way I can't live with a cat. The whole "litterbox" thing and cat hair grosses me out. And then one the kittens I rashly adopted "marked" my curtains and the other one "played" with my houseplants.

The people at the pound made me feel bad for taking it back, but I couldn't take anymore.

I also got really grossed out because my kitties had minuscule bits of poo on their butts, and they loved to jump on my bed. The funny thing is that my first pet was a kitten! That was on my grandparents farm, where all our animals were kept OUTSIDE. I wish I could do that here...

Nevertheless, I do like cats, especially the ones that like to cuddle.

I just can't live with one...

Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Wow...I haven't had any problems discussing the matter on this thread. It seems to me that perhaps some misunderstandings which the 'dog people' have about cats may have been rectified.
The only 'misunderstanding' is that y'all think the only reason we don't adore cats is because we
a. have enough experience with them
b. don't understand them like you do
c. have deep, dark personal issues or ego problems
d. haven't met your very, very special cat.

Get this...we don't like cats just because we don't like them. They give us a bad vibe. They don't provide what we are looking for in a pet. We think they look creepy. We're allergic. We're from the planet Zoltar where cats are taboo. Any and all or none of these reasons...but it is NOT because we 'misunderstand' them.

The thread asked an honest question. Honest answers were provided. Defense not necessary. I'm not asking you to defend your love of cats. That's your business.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:54 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,291 times
Question: Why on earth are people writing on this forum who claim to hate cats? Can anyone figure that out? I mean, what is the point of all this??? This is a CAT FORUM for those of us who passionately love cats enough to reach out to others to help them with their cats.

Or, at least, that is what I thought.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Question: Why on earth are people writing on this forum who claim to hate cats? Can anyone figure that out? I mean, what is the point of all this??? This is a CAT FORUM for those of us who passionately love cats enough to reach out to others to help them with their cats.

Or, at least, that is what I thought.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
Because some of us thought it was an honest question and we were trying to provide an answer.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM

232 posts, read 676,257 times
I used to like cats quite a bit, until one day I was attacked by one. Now I just think they are Satan's spawn. I accidentally stepped on this cat's tail as he was sitting by the side of the futon that I was sitting on. He hissed, bit me on the ankle, and then jumped up onto the futon next to me. I bent down, pet his head, said I was so sorry (like he understood me), and then turned around to go about what I was doing. That darn thing waited for me to turn my back, jumped on my back, climbed up to my head where he sat and wrapped his paws around my face and started clawing away. Required stitches and a tetnus shot at the local ER. The cat's owner said the cat had never done anything like that before. In fact, it was sitting on my lap earlier in the day, just as nice as could be. So now I am convinced they are just evil, and I have never turned my back on one since.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,489 times
LOL, satans spawn... some cats are mean. Just like some dogs are mean. They are animals...

Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The thread asked an honest question. Honest answers were provided. Defense not necessary. I'm not asking you to defend your love of cats. That's your business.

Nonsense! Its exactly like posting a thread titled: "why do people hate Catholics?" in a Catholic forum, or "why do people hate blacks?" in a black culture forum, or "Why do people hate Jews?" in a forum to discuss Jewish issues.

It was a insensitive mean spirited act. Nothing can change or conceal that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats