Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times

Advertisements

Obviously this won't work for OP but I simply keep the bathroom shut when not using it or not home or sleeping or whatever. As Amber has mellowed over the years, it seems to be less of a problem. While home we go hours with the door left open at times with no trouble. But I would still hesitate to leave it open while out of the house. I suspect given long enough access to it she'll still unroll the TP eventually.

Having it unroll backwards may help, but if the end is dangling fairly low it will still be a temptation. You may have to relocate the roll or cover it somehow or whatever.

If you think this is bad, back in the day I had to keep the paper towel out of reach, eventually hanging the roll up on the wall far away from reach of cat paws. She even managed to get herself stuck in an upper level cabinet; I had to put child locks on the upper cabinets in that place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:12 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Obviously this won't work for OP but I simply keep the bathroom shut when not using it or not home or sleeping or whatever. As Amber has mellowed over the years, it seems to be less of a problem. While home we go hours with the door left open at times with no trouble. But I would still hesitate to leave it open while out of the house. I suspect given long enough access to it she'll still unroll the TP eventually.

Having it unroll backwards may help, but if the end is dangling fairly low it will still be a temptation. You may have to relocate the roll or cover it somehow or whatever.

If you think this is bad, back in the day I had to keep the paper towel out of reach, eventually hanging the roll up on the wall far away from reach of cat paws. She even managed to get herself stuck in an upper level cabinet; I had to put child locks on the upper cabinets in that place!
The interest in the TP seemed to be the fun in watching it unroll...for ours anyway.

We have the paper towel unroller also. He doesn't do it often enough for me to care. lol

We also recently put child locks on our pantry to keep out one of the feline grand-kids. Never had to use child locks with human kids! My sister said people tend to be lazier with correcting grandkids.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 AM

203 posts, read 511,747 times
With my cat Calvin, who I called the toilet paper terrorist, I had to keep it in an industrial strength ziplock bag. Now that he's 6 he's not that interested in it anymore....

But I now I have a 4 month old little boy kitty who has just recently discovered it. I came home two days ago from work and it looked like it had snowed all over the bathroom AND living room..he drug it everywhere, LOL.

Back into a ziplock bag it went. My girl kitties were never interested in it but the boys, well that's another story. My newest little one likes to grab it with both front paws, hug it, and kick the crap out of it with his back legs like a rabbit. It's actually quite cute..until I have to pick it all up

Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
My Phaedra, over a year old, loves to shred TP. I now keep it hidden behind the stacked towels. She doesn't go up there as there's no space to "land."

Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Default More litter pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyprincess View Post

Their litter box is in my bathroom and I have tried to move it but neither one will use it anywhere else so I'm kind of stuck.
Is there any thing I can do to discourage this bad behavior?

This has worked for me. First, for 2 cats you should have a pan for each plus a spare. That's some kind of kitty rule. You can put the new litterpans where you want them OUTSIDE the bathroom. Put the used litter in these new pans and new litter in the old pans. Once they start using the new pans outside the bathroom "sneak" the old pan out the bathroom door 6" a day. Once it's outside the bathroom, put it where you want it. If they look for it in the bathroom put an empty box or something they can't get into where the pan once was.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 PM

=^..^=,

It is difficult to address you. lol

I,too, always heard that a person should have one pan for every cat, plus one. Do you think maybe that rule was made before scooping litter, or if people don't scoop at least once a day? Just curious.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I think one per cat is enough. So do my cats. Obviously, the more often one scoops, the fewer litter boxes one needs to have. I do mine twice a day.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
=^..^=,

It is difficult to address you. lol
Just call me Kitty.

Quote:
I,too, always heard that a person should have one pan for every cat, plus one. Do you think maybe that rule was made before scooping litter, or if people don't scoop at least once a day? Just curious.
There you go! I've known more than a few people who didn't scoop for several days. Yes, their homes smelled. These were otherwise clean people. Go figure. Some people leave their cats for weekends. Think of 2 or 3 cats using one litterpan under those circumstances... or even one cat. I scoop the pans twice a day, morning and last thing at night. I have 3 cats and 4 litterpans. Two are the extra large size pans. When we're traveling with the cats in the RV I only have space for 2 pans so scoop 3 times a day.

I think if a person is faithfully scooping the pans one per cat should work fine.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Kitty

What you say makes perfect sense.

I can't imagine not scooping at least once a day.

I USED to have one box per cat, until recently, when our cat family increased to 7. So far, there are no issues.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
I used to have a cat named Little Bit, he decided to become an outdoor cat, and he loved to tear up T.P.

He would make a mess all over bedroom and in shower and tub. So we put T.p. in closed container in small room with door closed. This was a mobilehome so doors were a couple inches off floor.

One day I watched him without him knowing and he layed down sideways and slid under door. Then I heard the canister rattle and he got t.p. out somehow. But the roll was to big to go under door so he ripped it off inside and tried several times to push under door, and fineally got it small enough and got it out.

I was amazed at how smart he was and when he saw me he had that look on his face like What, I didn't do anything.

I never scolded him cause he was just having fun and quit doing it after a couple months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats