Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:05 PM

30 posts, read 152,952 times

Advertisements

Okay so I recently adopted two male litter mates from kitty jail named baby and prince. I brought them home when they were just five weeks old and they are now four months old and we are running into some problems. Every time I put a new roll of toilet paper out and leave to go to work Prince tares it up into confetti and re-decorates my entire house!
I was told by a friend to try spraying him with water when I catch him which wouldn't be hard since he has no problem doing it right in front of me, but they both like baths and I don't want to make them scared of the water!
I have already tried putting it in the cabinet but he is very resourceful and has figured out how to open it.
Their litter box is in my bathroom and I have tried to move it but neither one will use it anywhere else so I'm kind of stuck.
Is there any thing I can do to discourage this bad behavior? Will he grow out of it? Or am I just going to have to get used to it and give up?
Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 03:24 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
We have one that loves TP. I put the TP on the roll "backwards." The paper unrolls from the bottom instead of over the top.

If that doesn't work, lock the TP in the cabinet and put child locks on it.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
Do as stated above. And if that doesn't work you may to find a container with a really tight snap proof lid and put the roll and place it in a cabinet. Maybe the cat will forget about TP.

Cats at 4 months of age can be a fun handful!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Yep! I third Lola's advice!

FYI.....this is not bad behavior! LOL This is only kittens being kittens. LOL LOL LOL I don't mean to discourage you, but I have a pretty talented artist in the house, who loves to decorate with toilet paper! And he is now 6 years old! Oh, forgive me, but I am laughing so hard, I can barely see what I am typing!!!!

Good luck!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
How about a toilet paper holder with a cover, it may prevent him from getting a good spin. This one isn't the prettiest but it's a good example: Amazon.com: EZ-Load Toilet Paper Holder: Sports & Outdoors

Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
My 9 y/o likes TP at times. I keep it in a tight cabinet.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 AM

Thank you for all of the good ideas I am going to try a couple out like putting the roll on "backwards" and maybe a child lock on the cabinet and I'll see what happens.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 AM

Thank you Garden of Eden I always appreciate your insight and knowing the difference between "bad behavior" and natural personality is a good thing to know when trying to bond with new pets. I took your advice as you can see by adopting a pet in need after I had to put my 14mo. old baby V-tec to sleep. Even though they were only weeks old no one wanted them because they were too bonded so they couldn't be separated. I felt a little guilty when I first brought them home and I actually broke down and cried at the humane society but your advice was key in helping to heal my heart and I couldn't love my new babies more. So thank you for being there for me in my time of need and for helping me to heal and grow you're the best!!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
At fourteen months? That had to be very trying. How sad.

Cats love to play with toilet paper. My old cat will still do it on rare occasions.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
ahhh.... we go to the bathroom using "lace" toilet paper a lot, because if they can see it, they'll get into it - only when the mood strikes. we don't keep it on the free-standing roll anymore. too messy lol
Attached Thumbnails
T.P. emergency!-image_105.jpg   T.P. emergency!-image_106.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats