Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

My SD came over today and we discussed our cats as usual. She has three middle aged declawed neutered indoor-only cats. There's been terratorial issues with them for years. Some fighting and some litter box issues that are the biggest problem - although she has the boxes scattered around the house. One cats insists on urinating on any throw-rug or piece of cloth it finds on the floor. She bought Feliway and a diffuser. It did no good. She also told me these run around $50 ea and I would need three for a home this size. And if you open the windows it's totally wasted. But her cats had no reaction to it, either negative or positive. She threw her money away. Has anyone had luck with this product? I mean first hand experience.

I'd suffocate if I had to keep my windows closed, especially in the RV.

Her vet has her cats on one of the Science Diets and one cat looks horrible. His hip bones are sticking out and his back is sagging. It looks like his muscle tissue is wasting away. I noticed this a month ago. She still hasn't taken him to the vet. All of them have dry staring poor coats and loads of dandruff from dry skin. And yes, I sent her all the information on cat nutrition but the kibble is oh so convenient. Getting her to switch vets also seems hopeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Lots of people report good success with it, but I tried it years ago when I was trying to get some harmony with my two cats who never liked each other, and as far as I can tell it had zero effect. I tried it again later to try to help an excessive groomer to calm down, didn't work that time either.
Quote:
Her vet has her cats on one of the Science Diets and one cat looks horrible. His hip bones are sticking out and his back is sagging. It looks like his muscle tissue is wasting away. I noticed this a month ago. She still hasn't taken him to the vet.
I'd offer to take him in for her or I'd be forced to call animal services before that cat dies. That is medical neglect.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
In a household such as you describe it sounds like the problems go way beyond what a pheromone diffuser could handle. Sounds like the cats have never received much training, care or nutrition at all, not to mention having their toes amputated.

I don't know what you mean by SD, but I would not be taking advice or recommendations from someone who takes such poor care of her cats, that, my goodness.

Feliway is very reasonable at amazon.com. I know you wanted to get one right away so your first output would be more costly, but you only need one diffuser in such a small space. If it doesn't help, at least you know you tried.

Yes, I have first hand experience with Feliway plug in diffusers. I love it. I use it only during periods when there will be stress. One example.

I had a young woman staying with me for a couple of weeks. She is developmentally disabled. The cats know her and like her, but of course having her here all the time put quite a lot of stress on them. She has seizures at night, and is noisy.

I hadn't thought to plug in the diffuser and by the third day I noticed my cats were starting to look a little rough around the endges. I finally remembered and plugged it in. Within 24 hours they were looking happy and content again. (it may take longer for territorial issues)

Another example is when my little old lady kitty was alive. I noticed when I kept a feliway going for her she was more relaxed and more willing to groom herself. If I unlpugged it, within a few days she would begin to look scrufty and stressed again.

It obviously won't work for everyone, nothing works for everyone. But you won't know unless you try.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
When we had two we tried using the diffusers for a while but it didn't seem to help. Maybe the space was too big, don't know, but didn't notice a difference when we discontinued its use.

I also bought the spray recently thinking it will help with the vet visit. Amber had been loving her new carrier and had it all associated with treats and stuff. Well, after I sprayed it, she wanted nothing to do with it! Maybe that scent reminded her of the vet office already? I don't know. That's not what it's supposed to do! That said, she did have a slightly better car ride than before, but I can't say that is attributable to the spray. It may have just been attributable to the change in carrier.

So the answer is, I don't know. Obviously we have clear positive results from some people, but it's not going to be a guarantee of it working. I think you just have to try it and hope it works. If it doesn't, well, you're out a few bucks and you just don't get any refills. Surely it won't be the first time or last that you've wasted money on something that the cats don't use/eat/etc.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I have used Feliway and it DID help. We moved and did not use anything years ago. Cats were upset for days, walking around meowing at night and unhappy. The next move we had heard about Feliway and used it. No meowing, cats settled in much quicker and were happier. I also used it when I introduced a new cat and it did seem to me that it helped take the "edge" of things. I don't think it is a miracle cure, but it is worth a try and you can get it on Amazon for less than $30.
Litter box problems are not all that unusual in kitties that had parts of their feet amputated, by the way. We see it at the shelter regularly... and cats that are declawed tend to bite more.

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Lots of people report good success with it, but I tried it years ago when I was trying to get some harmony with my two cats who never liked each other, and as far as I can tell it had zero effect. I tried it again later to try to help an excessive groomer to calm down, didn't work that time either.

I'd offer to take him in for her or I'd be forced to call animal services before that cat dies. That is medical neglect.

Feliway has no effect on my cat who licks as far as the licking, either. Helps with her stress levels in stressful situations, but her licking is not stress related and feliway was no effect either way.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Her vet has her cats on one of the Science Diets and one cat looks horrible. His hip bones are sticking out and his back is sagging. It looks like his muscle tissue is wasting away.
I wonder if the other cats are letting this cat eat and are preventing his access to the food bowl.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It makes me wonder if it's just another one of those gimmick items that hit the marketplace every so often. Or if it only works on a few cats. Think catnip. The last 7 cats I had had no reaction to it at all.

Quote:
We're leaving Tuesday morning as far as I know so that's not possible. Also, they don't live near me. I can't just walk into someone's house, pick up their cat and take it to a vet. I haven't heard back from her yet, but she's always been good about taking them to the vet.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
In a household such as you describe it sounds like the problems go way beyond what a pheromone diffuser could handle. Sounds like the cats have never received much training, care or nutrition at all, not to mention having their toes amputated.
I truly don't know. They don't live close to us so we don't see them that often. I do know all they get is dry kibble because it's convenient.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by SD, but I would not be taking advice or recommendations from someone who takes such poor care of her cats, that, my goodness.
SD means step-daughter. We discuss cats but have very different views on them. I would never consider amputating their claws. To me, that's their version of fingers. They need their "fingers" to play with toys and to climb and do the things that cats do. I've never seen a cat toy in her house and there is no cat furniture.

Quote:
Feliway is very reasonable at amazon.com. I know you wanted to get one right away so your first output would be more costly, but you only need one diffuser in such a small space. If it doesn't help, at least you know you tried.

Yes, I have first hand experience with Feliway plug in diffusers. I love it. I use it only during periods when there will be stress. One example.

I had a young woman staying with me for a couple of weeks. She is developmentally disabled. The cats know her and like her, but of course having her here all the time put quite a lot of stress on them. She has seizures at night, and is noisy.

I hadn't thought to plug in the diffuser and by the third day I noticed my cats were starting to look a little rough around the endges. I finally remembered and plugged it in. Within 24 hours they were looking happy and content again. (it may take longer for territorial issues)

Another example is when my little old lady kitty was alive. I noticed when I kept a feliway going for her she was more relaxed and more willing to groom herself. If I unlpugged it, within a few days she would begin to look scrufty and stressed again.

It obviously won't work for everyone, nothing works for everyone. But you won't know unless you try.
Thanks for that information and it's true. All cats and situations are different. Even if it did work to some extent for my situation, it's not a permanent cure for territoriality, either in the RV or at home. Having to keep the vents and windows closed in the RV will never work as my husband pointed out. We're going have them take turns using the largest carrier.

We just got back from town and they were out of stock. I wanted to take a good look at them, read the package and talk to the manager.

Sadly, the PetSupermarket closed a month ago so we couldn't check there.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
When we had two we tried using the diffusers for a while but it didn't seem to help. Maybe the space was too big, don't know, but didn't notice a difference when we discontinued its use.
My SD had no luck with them and felt they were a waste if money. She saw no difference. Perhaps they help with simple stress but the problem her and I are having is territoriality.

Quote:
I also bought the spray recently thinking it will help with the vet visit. Amber had been loving her new carrier and had it all associated with treats and stuff. Well, after I sprayed it, she wanted nothing to do with it! Maybe that scent reminded her of the vet office already? I don't know. That's not what it's supposed to do! That said, she did have a slightly better car ride than before, but I can't say that is attributable to the spray. It may have just been attributable to the change in carrier.
Two of mine do well in the carriers. One, Phaedra, just can't get used to it. She does fine in the tall cat cage in the van. She sometimes sleeps in one of the carriers, but that's in the house here.

Quote:
So the answer is, I don't know. Obviously we have clear positive results from some people, but it's not going to be a guarantee of it working. I think you just have to try it and hope it works. If it doesn't, well, you're out a few bucks and you just don't get any refills. Surely it won't be the first time or last that you've wasted money on something that the cats don't use/eat/etc.

Good luck.
Actually Greg, the main reason I don't think it will work is you can't have windows open or it dilutes it to the point it's useless. And so far no one with aggression and territoriality issues has mentioned it helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats