Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

I have been working on my menagerie to achieve peace, and we were doing relatively okay until the little ones got seven/eight months. Due to an extended illness I wasn't able to get them fixed yet, so the girls went into an area with themselves when the boys were showing unmistakable interest. So my older cat and the boys have had time to settle things and are doing very very well. I have readmitted one of my little girls and she's doing okay, but want to have a great readjustment each new sister that returns.

I looked at some ads with feliway online, but it seems to come in a couple of options including a plugin dispenser. I would like all but designated literbox territory to be included. I saw something that is supposed to help calm dogs too, and hope it might help my younger dog be less anxious. She is MUCH taller than any of the furries, but she is clearly low on the pack power structure and she frets in her corner.

Would the spray work best or would the infuser help everyone? I'm especially hoping it helps with the kittens mom and my older cat. When I'm around they mostly don't fight, but when they do it gets very mean. I need my office back so it can be cleaned up and more work done on it. I anticipate a visitor this summer who will probably want the room to be catless.

Any reccomendations of how long it lasts as well. Does a big container lose potency over several small ones?

Looking forward to everyone being chilled out and calm again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 AM

214 posts, read 757,549 times
I had more luck with Rescue Remedy drops than with Feliway. I know that this doesn't really answer your question, but I would go with the Rescue Remedy. You can put it on your hands and give them all some nice face massages, or put some drops in their food or water.

Its quite a bit cheaper, too. The Feliway diffuser I had lasted about 3-4 weeks before I needed to buy a re-fill. I would think the diffuser would probably be the best way to go if you are dead set on Feliway because it will cover a larger surface area and you wouldn't have to be spraying it all over the house all the time, but I've never used the spray kind, so I don't really know how often you need to spray it.

ALSO, Feliway is costly, though I've found entirelypets.com has them for pretty cheap. I never actually placed an order there, so I can't really vouch for the website, but when I was thinking about it I asked around on here and didn't hear any negative experiences.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Default Feliway

I'm curious if anyone has any success with Feliway. Bubba is a vertical scratcher when he uses the box, and it drives me crazy!!!! I hate that noise. I bought the spray can type Feliway and have sprayed the box surround I put around the litter box, so far no change....

Of course, it's only been a week on Saturday, so I guess I'd better give it a little longer.....

Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
I have used the Feliway plugins and it seemed for a while, my cats were positively effected. It was not a constant level of a stress-free environment, so I went to other sources for help. I agree with alixjack about the Rescue Remedy and I prefer using it over the Feliway plugins. I have also used the spray, but with very little success. Now, whenever I need it, I use the Rescue Remedy, for I am extremely pleased with the results. When I find something that really works, I stick with it.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I saw something that is supposed to help calm dogs too, and hope it might help my younger dog be less anxious. She is MUCH taller than any of the furries, but she is clearly low on the pack power structure and she frets in her corner.
I think you're referring to a DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) diffuser?

I've never heard of anything that covers both dogs and cats - it's always "either or" seeing as DAP, Feliway, etc. are all based on species specific pheromones. I have heard good things about DAPs, but personally have never had the necessity to try one.

If it was something along the lines of an essential oil - ie, lavender or some such - STAY AWAY. There's a lot of information out there on essential oils and feline livers. It's not a happy mix.

Again, like most things in this life, you'll get people that have had great success and people who have found it hasn't worked. Regardless of whatever route you take, do try to keep realistic expectations about just how much any of these products can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats