Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
maybe even get a hav-a-heart trap and put the food (open can of tuna or mackeral which is smelly and cats like) - get permission from the owner of the house first who can call you/your friend when/if the cat gets trapped so you can get over there right away to get the cat - or go there and just sit still and dont make any sudden movements when/if the cat comes out, the calmer you are, the better (or your friend) as they do get confused in strange environments etc - but woudlnt wait for him to find his way home - the sooner you get him back, the better - best of luck
^^^^This is excellent advice. It does not look like the cat is ever going to come to any of you voluntarily.....it is too traumatized and scared.

If you do not know anyone with a "Have-a-Heart" trap.....I would contact your local humane societies......I am sure they could come up with one that you could borrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
He's not feeling traumatized, he's just being a rude little snot.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:55 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,603 times
out 3 hours I gotta laugh a bit. this cat is playing games and running after cats in heat an yowelling like a boy at a bachelor party........

we still did not catch him. we are going to try the food thing again . we did and he did not run to it he pranced by it and made it look like he was coming to us kinda like a ha ha i fooled all of you.

My friend feels better and he is in a safe community with awesome people who are all trying to catch him. SOmeone mentioned traps think we need to do that and leave out some fish.

I think i lost 10 lbs from running and following him

Old 08-06-2011, 01:58 AM

I think you need to get the trap ASAP...... this needs to be brought to an end before he runs out in front of a car or something.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,603 times
I agree annie 53. where can we get one?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
If I couldn't afford to buy one myself, I would call my veterinarian to see if he knew someone who could loan me one.....after that, I would call any animal shelters or welfare agencies and ask them if they could help me find someone who is willing to loan me one.

I would also offer to put down a deposit for the loaner if at all possible.....it will show you are trustworthy and sincere.....a stranger may be more likely to loan you their trap.

To buy one.....I would try local feed stores, etc. Ask the vet and the animal welfare agencies where you could buy one.....they might know.

If you can't get one within driving distance and you have the money.....buy it on line and have it overnighted.

If you have to buy one......just remember.....you can always sell it on Craig's list or something.

Good luck to you. I feel so sorry for that poor cat. I think your chances of trapping him are really good.....because right now you know where he is at and where to put the trap.

Also, I would tell all of the homeowners in that area to stop putting out food for him once you have the trap in place......you want him hungry and you want that cage to have the only food he can find.

Believe me, I know what you are going through. Two of my dogs got out of my fence one time. They were gone overnight, friends found them the next day, safe and sound. It was the worst night of my life, hands down.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
Our local Humane Society lends them out, with a $50 deposit if memory serves... I called once about trapping a feral, and that's what I was told by them. Good luck!!!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
You can buy the traps at Academy they selll Havahart, about $50 for a coon trap, right size for cats, too. Try tuna, or macarel, its more pungent. we also baited a trap with used clothes, towels, etc, that had our scent.

We tried everything, even set out a box of used cat litter in the backyard, and hung some old curtains he'd "marked' on the fence. Do anything you can to establish a scent trail

Old 08-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You can buy the traps at Academy they selll Havahart, about $50 for a coon trap, right size for cats, too. Try tuna, or macarel, its more pungent. we also baited a trap with used clothes, towels, etc, that had our scent.

We tried everything, even set out a box of used cat litter in the backyard, and hung some old curtains he'd "marked' on the fence. Do anything you can to establish a scent trail
Hey.....putting out clothes with the owner's scent on them, cat litter they have used, and things they have marked are GOOD ideas.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Putting out an old, rusted car on blocks and some workout weights and bench along with the used rags and cat litter would work too. Maybe some pink flamingos and lawn trolls would help the overall effect, and some stacks of dirty 5 gallon buckets.

Oh, wait, you were talking about luring a cat. Sorry, my bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats