Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times

Advertisements

Cats are very different creatures. My cat, Jasper, will only eat dry cat food, but he insists on tasting anything I am eating, he wants to "check" it out.

Beau used to love yougurt, ice cream, he would be right in my lap, wanting a lick of anything I was eating. Beau was crazy, he would eat anything, if the kids were eating it, he had to have some. He also used to "steal" food. Once, I had the table set for Thanksgiving, with rolls out, butter, he jumped on the table, licked the butter, and stole a roll, he just took a few bites...he also jumped up to check the turkey, when it was cooling...had no idea why a big turkey was just sitting on the table, thought he should grab a leg....bad kitty.

My Mom's Siamese, had his own little plate at the table, he would sit on a chair, just like everyone else, and eat with the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Gizmo, who seriously thinks I'm his mother, will attempt to eat anything I'm eating and Twinkies. I do not particularly like Twinkies, but this cat will take your hand off for one. But he does eat stuff like fruit, veggies, cereal, slurpees, PB&J, sushi, ice cream, etc.

Never before did I ever think I would yell out "L'eggo my Eggo" at a cat. But alas, I have. Because I spoil him rotten, I won't stop him from taking a small bite of my food... unless it has something in it that I know will make him ill - like onions and chocolate.

My other cats? They're only interested in steaks.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Beau used to steal toast out of the toaster. I often think it was because he was a kitten, and had no food when we got him, but he was only 6 weeks old when we got him, and never had a day without food once he was in our home.

I remember, after we got him, I would find the strangest things...like a half eaten taco, and wrapper, from Taco Bell, on the floor. A piece of toast with cat bites taken out of it, on the counter, nothing was safe...you could not leave any food out, any place, that he would not grab it, and run. Our other cats, knew they would get food, so they just waited, and asked for some.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
I knew a cat who went crazy for Poptarts, and owned one who would annihilate any sort of fruit pie by eating the middle out of it.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
My male cat likes to drink the water drained from the tuna can. Occasionally he'll beg for turkey or chicken; 9 times out of 10 he won't eat it. He also occasionally will lick yogurt off the spoon or out of the carton.

The female always wants to sniff everything, but does not "do" people food.

My childhood cat coveted my clam chowder, and if I'd leave the table for even a second, she was up on my chair, front paws on the table, snout in the bowl. She'd stalk my mom when Mom came home from the butcher shop or the fish market, yowling for raw meat or fish. If my dad had a ham sandwich for a snack in the evening, she was on the arm of his chair, begging with that "maximum cuteness" face that cats are soooooo good at. She ate the little bits of scrambled egg left on our plates, anything with milk in it (including the frosting off my sister's birthday cake), and butter right out of the dish. She was a menace! LOL

Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
One cat liked cantelope and would climb up you to get it. I have another that begs for bologna, whereas all the other cats can't stand the smell of it.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Weasie (as well as her long-lost brother Puppy) adores "harvest cheddar" flavored Sun Chips. If I'm eating some on the couch and so much as a crumb hits the floor, she's on top of it arthritis and all. But just about any kind of "chip" is OK by her. She's only given a small ration. My take on this is that despite the zero nutritional value of these snack foods - which may even be bad for cats - the salt content will encourage her to drink water. A senior cat with compromised thyroid and kidneys can never have too much H2O.
She also gobbled down some shaved steak that fell from a sub I was eating on the porch this past summer. It was a battle to keep the sandwich out of her reach after that, but I did throw her a couple more scraps which she devoured. Go figger.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:30 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Our two tuxedo boys know better than to beg for what we're eating - most of the time.

If I am cutting up or eating a tomato, Finn is ALL over me, patting my leg with his paw, jumping up to my shoulder to try to snag a bite, trying the subtle flank attack by sneaking up to the kitchen table from one of the chairs, you name it. We can't leave tomatoes out to ripen anywhere in the house, because he will find them and eat them. My spouse once brought in a huge colander-full of 'maters from his garden and left them on the kitchen table overnight; the next morning, close to half of the tomatoes were gone, most of the rest had kitty toothmarks in them, and Finn's white chin was stained orange. It is a testament to how much my spouse likes cats that Finn survived that episode; I think if I had eaten half of that bowl, he'd have divorced me!

Finn is also inordinately fond of crackers, even though he can't digest grains. Generally when my spouse gets home from work, he has a few crackers as a snack while he's checking email, and Finn will engage in all sorts of amusing efforts to steal a bite or two. He'll usually start by cruising back and forth on the computer desk between my spouse and the monitor, purring and trying to snag a nibble of cracker. Spouse puts Finn on the floor and resumes reading email, so Finn hops up to his shoulder, purrs in his ear, and leans out to steal a bite as Spouse brings the cracker up to his mouth. Spouse puts Finn on the floor again and resumes reading email. It is generally at that point that Finn will sit and wait, watching the spouse closely, until he gets engrossed in an email or some online article, and then he makes his attack. He'll leap up to the desk, bat the cracker out of Spouse's hand and follow it to the floor, where he settles in to nom-nom-nom on his forbidden treat.

Col. Snuggledorf, our newest fur-kid who just joined the family in July, is a true 'Sconnie cat. We even joke that the edge of white fur along his upper lip is his milk mustache (although of course we don't actually feed our cats milk). If I'm baking and get the butter out of the fridge, the Colonel goes absolutely berserk - he prowls around my feet meowing, stands on his hind legs to try to reach up to grab it, and jumps up on the kitchen chair to grab my hand and pull it over to snag a bite. He does the same thing any time we get out the cheese, so much so that I've thought about trying to find him a cat-sized cheesehead hat.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,541 times
My two don't want any part of human food.
I've tried to give em a little taste of salmon
or chicken, but they won't touch any of it.
They always stop by to see what I'm eating,
but they only want a little sniff.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:19 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,642 times
My Simon used to snatch food as a kitten but now that he's two he really eats very little people food other than cheese. He is most fond of Gouda and Goat cheese

My new kitten Makari eats everything in sight! He is more than pesty! I actually have yet to find a food this cat won't eat - just today he's been sampling the taco dip I'm eating He like ravioli and sauce, peanut butter and jelly, and crunchy Cheetos as well for more of the interesting things he's eaten along with the usually things cats will eat. He's about 2 months old so he is learning some manners but he will just climb up you and steal what ever you have off your plate or out of your hand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats