Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times

Advertisements

I realize some people here are both dog and cat people (I love both, but only have a cat due to lifestyle logistics and preferences), but thought this was fun and not all that surprising.

Dog People vs. Cat People: Animals and Your Personality | Reader's Digest

Don't know how scientific this study was, but seems that people were polled and cat people are:

11% more likely to be introverts
17% more likely to have a graduate degree
25% to prefer George Harrison as their favorite Beatle (dog people like Paul)
21% more likely to prefer ironic humor and puns (dog people like slapstick)

So---we should pat ourselves on the back for being classy, deep, introspective types!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
all those surveys that go on about seemingly irrelevant stuff? have also noticed that when buying spaghetti sauce (of those who buy vs make their own) cat people tend to buy Prego sauce and dog people tend to buy Ragu. I fit that!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,412,572 times
I hate dogs and like cats and I certainly am an introvert, so it makes sense in my case at least.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I realize some people here are both dog and cat people (I love both, but only have a cat due to lifestyle logistics and preferences), but thought this was fun and not all that surprising.

Don't know how scientific this study was, but seems that people were polled and cat people are:

So---we should pat ourselves on the back for being classy, deep, introspective types!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh geez.....

Quote:"Don't know how scientific this study was....."

Ok, so you are making statements, without any confirmed reliable data sources, or understanding how the data was gathered.

Quote:"So---we should pat ourselves on the back for being classy, deep, introspective types!"

Also, you are making conclusions without any confirmed reliable data sources, or understanding how the data was gathered.

You should also pat yourselves on the back for not understanding the scientific method, and not understanding the interpretation of data.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
Oh my gracious, SuperSparkle, have some chocolate!

Anyway -

I always used to say: Smart people have cats, dumb people have dogs.
Then I took in a stray dog.

That WAS pretty dumb, since over time she's cost me nearly $9,000!!!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
My question is...why do pet owners have a pet in general? Jasper is pretty much a fur lump, that eats, and poops. He really serves no purpose...he won't take care of me in my old age, like a child, (maybe), but really, why do I even have this lumpy fur creature in my home?

I am not sure, but there must be a reason. Why do we like cats?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,929 times
I think "pet owners" are generally put into two categories.

Category 1 is people like jasper12 who have pets that are like furniture - they are furry little creatures that exist in their homes that require a bit of attention now and again and generate vet bills and mandate you feed them and clean up after them.

Category 2 is people like me who have pets that are a four legged furry sub-version of a human. I think of them and refer to them as "people". I call them "the kids" I treat them better than some people that I know and frankly I like them better than some people that I know. This category of pet owners, I find, to be very conscientious of their "pets" well being and comfort beyond the basics and really does not even think of them as pets but truly as family.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Amber is pretty much like Jasper. But I think you are reading FAR too much into that post in order to suggest that jasper12 (or I) are owners as you describe Category 1 who see their cats as "furniture". That post is not in any way in opposition to Category 2 treating pets as family, so I can't understand at all why it would provoke that response.

It's a perfectly good question. I totally get where jasper12 is coming from. The question posed is "Why take a pet into your home?" not "Why treat a pet as family?" Why do we take pets into our homes when for practical purposes what they do is cost us time and money and heartache? It's an interesting question, ruined by that response.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Oh my gracious, SuperSparkle, have some chocolate!
Not bad advice!

SuperSparkle, didn't mean to irritate anyone, including you. Just thought it was fun and wanted a release and to post something upbeat after all the posts about euthanizing my cat. Didn't think was a deep scientific study---just that 20,000 people were polled on a website and this is what they came up with. I truly do respect "real" science and deep topics---but sometimes it's fun just to be a little inane (like with the chocolate advice---no one NEEDS chocolate, but it can be a fun addition to a healthy diet, right?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Hang on now! No pats on the back for preferring "I got my mind set on you" to "Love take me down". Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats