Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Try them on a Purina cat food both dry and wet to see if they will accept that. Purina is one of the safer brands not being involved with either of the recent cat food recalls.
I don't think so. It's loaded with corn and other cheap fillers. Except for the Kitten Chow, meat isn't even listed first. Their canned isn't but it's not the best out there by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I second the Wysong recommendation.

A local independent pet food store may be able to order it, or you can buy on-line direct from Wysong, they offer promo discounts when you sign up on their website.

Specifically the Epigen line for dry food, Archetype for freeze-dried "raw"
I just checked. Amazon sells Wysong products. The 'Vitality' is kind of expensive. Thanks for recommending 'Epigen'.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Greg42, knowing about the background and history of Wysong is all well and good, but it doesn't address the OP's concern:

The OPs says, that someone recommended Wysong canned food as a primary source of nutrition for her cat. My answer is: don't do that, Wysong canned food *is not intended* to be a primary source of nutrition.
Actually they didn't specify, or single out, Wysong Canned food, just Wysong the Brand.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:33 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Wysong still has products that were introduced near the beginning of the company 25 years ago, I look for, and use, their newer, cutting edge, formulas. Although, I do serve the Aus Jus canned sometimes, as a source of additional moisture, there are no added vitamins and minerals.

Pet Nutrition with Dr. Randy Wysong

The Share Guide: You mention in your book that wild animals eat the same diet their whole lives, after they are weaned. So why does your pet food line have different formulas for puppies, adults and seniors?

Dr. Wysong: These names are a carry-over from our beginnings some 25 years ago. Now we simply say they are the place people can start. All of our products can be fed in variety to cats and dogs with great benefit.

Wysong website has a form you can fill out that will recommend products for your animals:

Wysong Custom Recommendations Page

Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Just my own experience here: Our cats have Natural Balance Wet food and Wellness dry food - they absolutely love both. They get a good variety of different flavors with the wet food and there isn't one that they don't enjoy. The only criticism I've found about Natural Balance is that it is supposedly quite high in calories. They did have Wellness wet food before but a short time after the company was bought out they actually went right off it and wouldn't touch it. The Wellness dry food seems to be fine - although I have been trying them with some Natural Balance dry food they are not too keen on it. I always add water to their wet food too and at 5 years old, neither of them have ever had any urinary issues/infections at all.

They have very soft, glossy coats, no scurf or irritated skin and clear sparkling eyes - I have no doubt that this is because they have a pretty good diet.

I know that many people absolutely reject dry food but I do think it has its place as long as the cats get good quality wet food too - it really helps their kidneys to have wet food and I certainly would NEVER give them dry food only.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
Ummmm---Seriously????
Yes, seriously.

Purina was the only large animal food company that DID NOT get involved with the chinese melamine contaminate fuss in 2007.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I don't think so. It's loaded with corn and other cheap fillers. Except for the Kitten Chow, meat isn't even listed first. Their canned isn't but it's not the best out there by far.
What you state is your personal opinion whereas my statement is based on documented facts. YMMV.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:13 PM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
OP: Dr Lisa Pierson is always keeping on top of things -- checking out her resource will help you make an educated, informed decision: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods

Quote:
What you state is your personal opinion whereas my statement is based on documented facts. YMMV.
Regarding the 2007 recalls -- try looking again. Just because the bag or can does not say "Purina Chow", does not mean it's not a (very popular!) Purina product --

Melamine contaminated Pet Foods - 2007 Recall List

Time to stop naievely believing whatever the deceitful TV, advertising, and vets "under the influence" shove in your face:

Post 2007 recall catastrophe: http://google2.fda.gov/search?q=puri...td&getfields=*

Dogs and cats are carnivores; dogs facultative and cats OBLIGATE. Look them both up in an encyclopedia, read those ingredients over, then come back and tell us about "documented facts."

Last edited by Pamina333; 09-30-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I had previously fed my cats dry food and always had healthy cats until recently.

My 9 year old cat seemed to be rubbing her butt so the vet decided she was allergic to that dry food and we put her on another dry food, "Duck and "Pea".

After months of that, she did stop rubbing her butt BUT she developed diabetes.

I just KNOW that the "Duck and Pea" dry food had something to do with it but vet said no. Cat was on 2.5 units of insulin, twice a day vet said keep her on the "duck and pea" by Prescriptions.

After months of doing research and reading postings on this website, I decided to switch her to wet food.

She didn't like it until I got her to eat some tuna that I had leftover from making myself a tuna sandwich.

Little by little, I have gotten her off the dry food and she will now eat TIKI and BFF canned food. She is now getting only 1 unit of insulin and vet thinks I can wean her off the insulin, totally.

Sorry for the long post but maybe you can try the tuna and then go to those two brands. Reading the labels is so confusing and someone on here told me about those two brands (made by same company).

Good luck!

Vicki

Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Purina was the only large animal food company that DID NOT get involved with the chinese melamine contaminate fuss in 2007.
Safe in terms of recall does not mean they make anything particularly well-suited to cat nutrition, though. Purina like all large producers (Mars, P&G, Colgate, etc.) does a lot of marketing-based food distinction while providing lowest common denominator nutrition. Having a lot of corn, wheat, or other non-meat ingredients that make up a large portion of the food is not especially appropriate for an obligate carnivore like a cat. It isn't necessary to distinguish between indoor/outdoor, regular/senior, etc, etc. This is all marketing to the human that isn't at all necessary for the cat.

That said, Fancy Feast is a Purina brand, and they make at least a few appropriate items for cats (check ingredients). So in that way looking at Purina products could be a good idea for those on a budget. But there are also lots of smaller producers that make what could be considered higher quality foods that were similarly not affected by the 2007 recall. This is where it is important to find out how the products are manufactured and who owns the manufacturing plant. I don't think too many people realized (until the big SNAFU in 2007) that such a large percentage of canned pet food was made by ONE company because so much manufacturing was outsourced.

Generally, large scale food manufacturing should make you scared, whether it's for your pet or for yourself. It does me. Think about what happened in the 2007 pet food recall. Now realize that only 4 companies produce over 80% of the beef for HUMAN consumption in this country. Yow. I don't think every moment about avoiding it and so forth, but I do think about it and have changed a few habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats