Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM

31 posts, read 121,794 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking to buy a drinking water fountain for my kitties and I think this is the best place to ask for advice. There are so many of them and I don't know which one is better. What do you feline lovers recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,449 times
I have a Petmate Fresh Flow Deluxe. Its going on 5 years old, and my cats LOVE it!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Hi Azkadellia, the problem with petmate fresh flow deluxe that it is way too shallow. I found this Drinkwell platinum on Amazon, what do you think? It costs about $59.00 with 3 replacement filters, cleaning kit, and the fountain.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
We had a Drinkwell. I originally bought it because cats don't have a strong natural thirst drive. I thought it would encourage them to drink more water. Once I was informed NOT to feed dry at all, and switched them to an all wet diet...no worries. I tossed the fountain.
It was a pain in the rear to keep clean. IMHO I find it easier to clean and refill water dishes every day.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I don't think the Drinkwell is so hard to clean. It only takes a few minutes once a week. My cats are eating about 3/4 wet food but if the fountain encourages them to drink more, so much the better!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
With as many cats as I have, a drinking fountain became very problematic to keep clean. The water and the drinking fountain kept getting slimy and it was a major hassle to keep clean. Just please keep this in mind when shopping for a drinking fountain. You don't want one with tight places that will make cleaning difficult.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:40 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,634,850 times
I had a Drinkwell and the cats did like it, but I hated cleaning it. All those little nooks and crannies, even with the brush set there were areas I just could not clean to my satisfaction.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
Hi I am looking to buy a drinking water fountain for my kitties and I think this is the best place to ask for advice. There are so many of them and I don't know which one is better. What do you feline lovers recommend?
I bought one in PetsMart and had to return it. The cats wouldn't drink from it. It was made in China and had a strong odor of plastic. We got a total refund. They had several choices and all were made in China so we wouldn't do a switch.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 PM

I clean their dish bowl and refill water everyday. My cats love to lick the water on the wall and bathtub right after I got out of the shower, I also put a bowl of water on the bathtub. My other cat loves to drink water right out of a faucet so I am thinking of getting them a drinking fountain. I don't mind all the cleaning at all. I still put water bowl in addition to drinking fountain. I watched the video on amazon, drinkwell is dishwasher safe. I read all the reviews on different type of drinking fountain, so far drinkwell platinum has the highest rating compare to other type.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
I had the Petmate one some years ago, didn't really last, didn't like it. Bought another oddball one for a different cat because of what she did to the water. But she never used it. Have Drinkwell Platinum, cat uses this, just one cat here right now. Find it easy enough to deal with. Actually have bonus because I have two of these (bought one for the other cat too, now gone). So I can put one in the dishwasher and replace immediately with clean one. Still takes 10 minutes, etc. It's really not horribly hard to handwash either. I've done that sometimes.

Note, you do not need to use the filters if you don't want to. I put filtered water into mine so I stopped buying the filters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats