Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times

Advertisements

In regards to the a post below about a small kitten that was "rescued" wormed, suffered seizures and later died. This is truly horrible and is what can happen when people buy wormers at pet stores or places like Wal*Mart and have no clue what a truly safe dose is, if there is a safe dose, for a young kitten. They don't usually weigh the kitten as they don't have a scale or don't know how. They guess as to it's weight. They don't take a stool specimen to the vet so have no idea what worms the kitten may have. And often enough they don't have worms but have coccidia or giardia or another internal parasite if their stools are loose or bloody. Occasionally they will have both. The wormers on the shelf of the stores do not kill all worms and none get coccidia or giardia. So they bring the wormer home, start worming the small kitten for the type worm it may not have... and kill the kitten. This is especially true if the kitten didn't get the best of care to start with.

There is no mention the kitten was taken to a vet and I don't believe it was. If you have a kitten and it has even one seizure, it needs to be taken to a vet ASAP! You don't "wait to see what happens." If you are unwilling to take your kitten to the vet, it's better to take it to the nearest shelter or Rescue group and give it up.

No kitten or cat should be wormed unless the vet checks the stool for parasites and then only use the recommended wormer or medication in the correct amount for the kitty's weight, and not the cheap wormers you find in Wal*Mart or the local pet store.

I was very upset by that post and hope I can save another kitten from such a sad fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Haven't seen the post you refer to, but almost all the de-wormer out there is pretty toxic...I've had great results with the simple and inexpensive diatomaceous earth.........Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Helps Eliminate Worms & Parasites

Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Haven't seen the post you refer to, but almost all the de-wormer out there is pretty toxic...I've had great results with the simple and inexpensive diatomaceous earth.........Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Helps Eliminate Worms & Parasites
The wormers used by veterinarians are safe if directions are followed to a tee. The drugs from places like Wal*Mart or Bubba's Pet Shop are questionable. With any of these products, a slight overdose can be fatal to a kitten.

DE has never been proven to remove intestinal parasites from dogs and cats. As for testimonials, we all known they're written by people who do not exist. A net-friend of mine was paid to write them for several alt med and herb purveyors because she was able to sound (write) like different people and was very persuasive. I have looked in the past and could not find any legitimate research done by any University showing DE was an effective vermifuge. Where was the research done?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 38,136 times
Default Diatomaceous earth

I work at Farm Feed store and we have many customers who come in looking for a help with fleas and worms for their Cats and Dogs. My coworker recommends the Diatomaceous Earth. As a result I myself started looking into it. You can say many people were paid to write reviews, however I plan to go with testimonies my customers give me. They come back smiling saying it was the best thing they ever tried. Their kids were still able to pet and play with the animals instead of the case with toxic flea removers and didn't have to bomb the house and have been using it ever since. I have started it myself and am already seeing an improvement over the dewormer from the vet ($30) for our rescued kitten. The dewormer from the vet did nothing..... However there is one very important thing to remember when using Diatomaceous Earth, if you don't follow this rule you could kill your pet or yourself:You must get FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous earth.

As for posts that disagree with Diatomaceous Earth please try it for yourself before saying it doesn't work simply because there are no studies on it. Do a little more research and you will find independent studies done on DE. My vet told me about one study but I can't remember the name of it. But you can also ask your vet about studies done.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:12 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,921,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
No kitten or cat should be wormed unless the vet checks the stool for parasites and then only use the recommended wormer or medication in the correct amount for the kitty's weight, and not the cheap wormers you find in Wal*Mart or the local pet store.
Yes, yes, yes! ITA

You may think you are saving money by buying an OTC medication, but it can have terrible side effects and in the end you'll be out much more money (or worse, have the animal die).

Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Yes, yes, yes! ITA

You may think you are saving money by buying an OTC medication, but it can have terrible side effects and in the end you'll be out much more money (or worse, have the animal die).
This is so true.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 12,322 times
I had a 4 week old kitten who was being bottle fed. Started at 1 oz, then progressed to 2 oz. She was playful and very alert.
I took it to the vet as it had loose stools and to have it checked. The vet said she looked great, worm test was negative, but she gave me dewormer anyway just in case. It was 1 dose a day for 3 days. That was at 9am. At about noon I gave her the first dose. She vomited once and seemed sick and wouldn't eat. I called the vet, they said she would be fine. All day she was lethargic and wouldn't eat. I was afraid of dehydration so gave her some electrolytes in a eye dropper which she took willingly at first, then later would not take it. The next morning was still the same, she began moaning and gasping for breath about 7:30 am. I called the emergency # which was an emergency clinic, they told me to bring her at 9am. I left immediately and arrived at 8:30 am, it was too late, she passed away. I am heartsick and devastated. I don't think vets should give them dewormers when they are that young. She was in agony for 20 hours, something I can never forgive or forget.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:36 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengenealogy View Post
I had a 4 week old kitten who was being bottle fed. Started at 1 oz, then progressed to 2 oz. She was playful and very alert.
I took it to the vet as it had loose stools and to have it checked. The vet said she looked great, worm test was negative, but she gave me dewormer anyway just in case. It was 1 dose a day for 3 days. That was at 9am. At about noon I gave her the first dose. She vomited once and seemed sick and wouldn't eat. I called the vet, they said she would be fine. All day she was lethargic and wouldn't eat. I was afraid of dehydration so gave her some electrolytes in a eye dropper which she took willingly at first, then later would not take it. The next morning was still the same, she began moaning and gasping for breath about 7:30 am. I called the emergency # which was an emergency clinic, they told me to bring her at 9am. I left immediately and arrived at 8:30 am, it was too late, she passed away. I am heartsick and devastated. I don't think vets should give them dewormers when they are that young. She was in agony for 20 hours, something I can never forgive or forget.
That is utterly terrible and unforgivable of a vet. Rest In Peace little one as you'll not be forgotten.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:29 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
So sorry for the loss of your sweet kitty. It sounds as if she may have aspirated the electrolytes given by the eyedropper. Always a delicate situation when a baby is being bottlefed.

If only they had had you bring her in sooner.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 11,895 times
Not sure what the 4 week old kitten died of... given its age, most likely septicemia as a result of poor colostrum from mom meaning the kitten had no antibodies to protect itself. I see this condition frequently in orphan kittens starting around 3 weeks old. 50% of those kittens can be saved with antibiotics and a 1st vaccination to shock its body to develop its own immunity. ( this from rescuing over 8000 cats over 25 years and being a veterinary technologist by training )... but to deworming in general. Very young kittens CAN die from deworming.... its called worm toxicity. Learnt this early on when a healthy litter of 6 week old kittens died after the vet dewormed them so we had necropsy done ( autopsy ). Dewormers often kill the parasites in the body ( the cheap walmart dewormers just shock them so they might come out still alive but die afterwards...fun ). Each kitten has a different "worm load" and we can't tell.... round worms are the most common from moms milk. When worms die inside the cat they immediately start to decompose.... this is what kittens react too and too much "dead worms" release too much toxins for babies to handle... so they can die...hence "worm toxicity". To prevent further deaths we now give 1/4 of the vet recommended does over 3 days.... if diarrhea at a 1/4 dose.... you have a high worm load.... so stop until diarrhea is gone then repeat treatment at the low 1/4 dose.... when kitten has no reaction for 3 days of low dose then you can increase to normal dose 1 week later. Hopes this helps... cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats