Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

I deal with it by purchasing the "classic" or "original" versions of Fancy Feast. I know FF has been changing the recipe of some of the products including adding gluten or other fillers. The one canned food that my cats won't eat is a premium brand Wellness. My cats will only eat about a half of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,287 times
My cats were on a 100% dry diet but after getting informed about appropriate feline nutrition, I've introduced wet food as well. I can't afford to give all of them 'premium' foods, so I've been giving them friskies canned food and they love it. Pate and meaty bits are the favorites, and I recently got some in shreds and they seem to like it to. I always check the can when I open it to make sure there's nothing visibly wrong in there, and so far they all smell good (while in the can and once I've taken the food out).

The only time my cats got upset stomachs was when I mixed in a turkey & cheese dinner in gravy can. To be fair, those days had been extremely hot and they tend to spend quite some time outside, so my first thought was the cheese didn't sit very well with them due to the heat. Once it cools down more I'll give the can another try and if they have problems with it again, I'll definitely avoid the ones with cheese in the future.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:22 PM

221 posts, read 335,578 times
Wow, I guess the Friskies Festering Corpse flavor isn't too popular with other cats also, huh? I noticed this putrid meat odor, and my cat seems to notice it also, often. Sometimes if the food doesn't have that grey edge on the pate lump, my cat will usually eat the whole thing. I've found the most likely to be fully-eaten variety is the Poultry Platter. And anything with 'fish' in the list of ingredients will most likely be rejected.

I didn't have much experience with wet food until this spring, when I found my cat had signs of diabetes and had to switch to a full meat-based food. He used to eat Iam's dry for the past 11 years (I didn't know any better), but thankfully the diabetes symptoms stopped immediately after not feeding him all those carbs with the dry food.

I'm sort of thinking I might have to just forget the canned food routine after the last couple cases of Friskies I got are done with. At around .50 a can...I thinking it might be cheaper to just get bunch of whole chickens on sale, boil them, and turn that into food for my cat. Just add labor and mess, right? Might be healthier for Kitty though...

Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
...thinking it might be cheaper to just get bunch of whole chickens on sale, boil them, and turn that into food for my cat. Just add labor and mess, right? Might be healthier for Kitty though...
According to Dr Lisa Pierson at Cat Info.Org, you will need to add the appropriate amount of taurine, which is essential for feline health. Her website is so informative; she includes instructions for making healthy cat food, but the process isn't less expensive.

You might want to go read her site. There's a whole section on feline nutrition.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I have cats with stomatitis (incurable) and they all love Friskies, especially the mixed grill flavor pate. They do NOT seem to like shreds or chunks and will just lick all the gravy and leave the nasty chunks. I also feed them Purina dry. They do not like premium foods, and will not eat them. They do like Fancy Feast also.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:17 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
I fed my Carly (RIP, dear Carly...) Friskies for over 9 years and she thrived on it. She died of old age, with no illness being present.

I rescued Fiona who is at least 12 or 13, and she loves the Friskies Pate ( that's the only form she will eat however, 'cause she's a very bossy Persian Mix )

Old 02-12-2015, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,924 times
In the last month or so my cats have been turning their noses up at Friskies Buffet Turkey & Giblets 5oz size. This was one flavor that they always loved but something has changed and they now seem to be ranking it on a par with "Mixed Grill" flavor. Liver/Chicken flavor now seems to be acceptable.

Obviously something has changed. Too bad - fixing what ain't broke.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganfey View Post
In the last month or so my cats have been turning their noses up at Friskies Buffet Turkey & Giblets 5oz size. This was one flavor that they always loved but something has changed and they now seem to be ranking it on a par with "Mixed Grill" flavor. Liver/Chicken flavor now seems to be acceptable.

Obviously something has changed. Too bad - fixing what ain't broke.
I fed my cats Friskies canned for several years, but ended up switching to Fancy Feast a few years back mainly because I felt it was a better food. When they were eating the Friskies, their 'favorite flavors' seemed to frequently change in a totally random pattern. It got to the point where they didn't want any of it, so I switched them to FF. I'm sure there are variables in where they get their ingredients (and the quality of them), and I think whatever quality control Friskies has for their food is up & down as well. It may have been partly the cats just being picky as they're known to do. But there wasn't enough consistency with the Friskies, and I got tired of wasting so much of it. Haven't had that problem with FF.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
I too have been having similar problems. My cat used to love the Friskies Turkey & Cheese Dinner in Gravy.
I haven't seen that product on the shelf for many months until recently and I bought the lot (16 cans). First he refused to eat it and then tried a bit and threw it up. I changed the food and then tried it again a few days later. He throws up every time after eating a bit. Now I know it is not coincidence. I have now dumped all the cans. I live in Panama, Central America and beginning to think that all the "bad" batches are sent here. The only food I can find now is the Purina Felix. So far so good but am watching him closely. Please let me know if anyone has heard any horror stories about this product. Many thanks.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
Just found this forum and thought I would chime in too. A couple years ago my cat became unable to digest dry cat food and I was giving him kit n kaboodle for years but he started throwing up and getting sick from it. At around the same time I noticed the dollar stores like Family Dollar began carrying kit n kaboodle and it was even cheaper to buy there. I think purina changed the formula and that was the end of my cat being able to digest it. I could not even give him the fancy feast kibble or dry treats because he would throw them up whole. My Vet said to only give my geriatric cat wet food from now on. He was very picky about what Friskies he would eat also - no mushy ones, no fish, no beef.. only certain poultry varities with gravy and NOW he is down to eating only one which is chicken in gravy shreds. I also believe they changed the formula and this is a shame because my cat won't even eat chicken or fish I cook for myself. Now and then he will eat people canned tuna in water and that is it. I tried fancy feast and many expensive brands and he turns his nose up to all of them. At age 15, I have to wonder what will happen once he stops eating this one chicken variety of Friskies. I noticed all the chicken varieties now have turkey and gluten and fillers in them. They can't leave well enough alone.. like the 9lives that has fish in every single can and my cat hates any cat food with fish. He knows something is wrong with it and refuses to eat it.

Last edited by licketysplitz; 06-17-2015 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats