Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It was cleaning day so I cleaned the lanai and changed their litter boxes. I didn't feel like driving clear over to Costco for my usual clumping brand so I went to Publix and found they have the new lighter weight clumping litter. So, I decided to give it a try. It says 25 pounds is equal to 37 pounds and it was a lot easier to carry two of them into the house this time. I did notice there was no dust when pouring it into the 3 boxes, so that is good.

I will see how it compares and report back, but so far Chewy and Daisy have given it two paws up.

Don
That's the brand I use and I can't say anything bad about it. The dust factor is pretty low and it clumps well. The only time I notice any odor is when a certain ladycat (who shall remain nameless) fails to cover her business.
Try it, you might like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I use Cat's Pride, but I use the regular clumping litter. The company sent me a jug of the new Fresh and Light litter, and I didn't like it at all. It was darker than the regular litter, and didn't clump well at all. I mixed the new litter in with the regular litter a little at a time until it was gone. It's also more expensive than the regular litter.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
For years I used non clumping but a GF of my Son talked me into trying clumping. I will never go back to non clumping again. First of all, it lasts longer before I have to change it because the clumps encapsulate the waste and it leaves behind only clean litter when you scoop. Secondly, the clumps are easier to find with the scooper and easier to place into a garbage bag.

I also put in some baking soda when I scoop to freshen it up a little. I get 42 pound boxes at Costco and two of them last me a month or more. The only bad part is carrying those heavy suckers into the house from the car.

Don
I love my 42 lb bags from Sams. I was annoyed the other day I went to buy some and they had the new lightweight stuff in its place. I had to look around to find the regular.

I love the clumping but that dust does get everywhere and is pretty disgusting when you think about it.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 PM

335 posts, read 619,696 times
I have been using Everclean for years. I think recently they changed the formula, and while it used to seem like the dust wasn't so bad, lately it's been horrific. It's made by the same company as Fresh Step, and I wonder if they put the wrong litter in the package - or just cheapened the product over time.

I bought a bag of the Ultra Precious litter from Amazon, but I've been trying to get through the other stuff first.

We keep the 2 litter boxes in the laundry room, and it's really disgusting how much dust there is all over the place. When I scoop I see little dust clouds come up out of the box - so I can imagine what is happening when Hobbes starts flinging the litter all around.

That's the other thing I hate - even though we have a rubber mat under each box that's supposed to help with tracking, I have found pieces of litter in our bed - which is upstairs. Gross!

Old 02-25-2014, 02:26 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I do a full cleaning at least two times a week which is getting kind of expensive (I scoop twice a day).
I use Feline Pine and the bag says "one month's supply", but it only lasts me about ten days. What a nuisance and I only have one cat.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-25-2014, 02:41 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'm giving Petco's unscented clumping litter a try. Does anyone else use it? It's pretty cheap; even if it's not perfect, I can mix it with the Precious Cat.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I've used it. If I remember correctly, it suited our needs, but the particles were a little more fine. I like the refillable container concept, cuts down packaging going into the trash and that's always a good thing. IF you remember to have the container on hand when you happen to be at Petco...which I usually don't.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Ok, I have been using the "light" clumping litter for the past few weeks and have to say it is pretty good. It does hold the waste in an easy to scoop clump and the clumps seem lighter than with conventional litter, so the garbage bag is easier to carry out.

It also seems to stay fresh smelling longer, but I still use baking soda when scooping to help that out. Bottom line, I will probably keep buying it.

Don

Old 02-28-2014, 12:57 PM

786 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Don's got it!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:14 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think the benefits of clumping outweigh any dust issue.

A good clumping litter will keep the odor down far better than any plain litter, and with far fewer full litter changeouts as well.

The one I'm using still has already been cited here, Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra, unscented, in the blue-labeled bag. I get a 40lb bag for around 15 bucks so I don't think it's particularly expensive. I used to buy Tidy Cats and I guess on a good sale the Tidy Cats would come out a little less. But this stuff is way better. I don't have to change it out as often so I think it comes out to be less in the long run.

I don't see dust when the cats use it. There is some dust when pouring a fair amount into or out of the box, but that is acceptable given how well it clumps and holds down the odor.

Odor is very important when it comes to the litter box. A cat's sense of smell is many times more sensitive than ours. You don't want to be making them go into something with a strong odor, whether it be waste odor or scent odor from the litter. This is why if at all possible it's better to avoid a covered litter box. High sides, yes, keeps it from being kicked out, but covered and holding in odor is not a great idea. (Took me a long time to learn that BTW, I used covered boxes for years.)

I'm tempted to try something lighter weight but afraid to mess with what seems to be working for these guys.

Ive been using Elsey's too recently. This after trying the WOrlds Best Cat Litter Advanced Natural. That stuff is awful. Its a powdery mess.

Elsey's isnt too bad. Clumps well but for whatever reason, clumps have a tendency to stick to the side of my litter box making them tough to get out sometimes. Dust isnt too bad, could always be better. My biggest gripe is the litter seems to track very easy. It really sticks to the bottom of my cats paws so I end up finding it all over the place, which is annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats