Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times

Advertisements

Indoor only!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
The mosquitoes are a problem here. Not in the last town I lived but now I've moved right next to a lake so there's loads of them but I usually set some big citronella sticks to smoke next to the open door and that usually keeps them away.

I'm starting to think Charlie won't even want to go outside anyway, she wants to be as close as possible to me all the time She's currently napping on my shoulder
That may be true now, but could change when she's older. She may (or may not) develop a curiosity about the outside later on. Keep her inside and as she gets older it will probably become less & less of an issue for her (if at all). She'll be fine as an indoor cat.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Do you really need to keep your door open when you have windows to open? How hot does it get in Finland in the Summer? No need to answer. I looked it up. It's very mild compared to here. I suspect leaving the door open is just a habit you can easily change. I lived in this house for 15 years before getting screened doors. I didn't open the doors even with temperatures above 90 degrees. Granted, that's because we have dogs, and we're in the habit of not opening windows and doors that don't have screens. I'm just saying your habit is probably one you can easily change for the safety of your kitty.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Its hot for me! Just 20 degrees outside soon turns inside into 30+ degrees and as it doesn't cool down much at night due to the midnight sun the houses don't get a chance to cool down. No air conditioning either.
Only have one small window that opens in the main part of the house so not sure how much it'll cool down but I haven't been in this house in the summer yet so don't know how it hot it will be, might be cooler than my previous apartments as its shaded a bit by trees and bushes.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Its hot for me! Just 20 degrees outside soon turns inside into 30+ degrees and as it doesn't cool down much at night due to the midnight sun the houses don't get a chance to cool down. No air conditioning either.
Only have one small window that opens in the main part of the house so not sure how much it'll cool down but I haven't been in this house in the summer yet so don't know how it hot it will be, might be cooler than my previous apartments as its shaded a bit by trees and bushes.
Trees make a big difference, especially if they provide shade on the south and/or west sides of the house.

Cooling a house without airconditioning is a science. I lived in Holland when I was growing up. People cooled their homes by hanging wet sheets on the windows. It cools the air when it blows through the wet sheets. That's old fashioned air conditioning.

You can put bowls of ice in front of a fan and let the air blow over the ice water. That's air conditioning too.

There might only be one window in the main area, but you can push cool air out of the upper floors and in through the lower floors on the shady side of the house by having a fan blowing out the window in the hotter areas and a fan blowing in the windows of the cooler areas. That's how you compensate for there only being one window in a room/area. You create an airflow through the living area with fans.

Open up all windows at night and close the windows and drapes during the day to keep the hot air out and to prevent the sun from heating up the interior of the house.

Take cool showers to prevent steam from heating up the house. Cool meals outside on the grill.

I know its a rental but ceiling fans are a godsend. They're not very expensive. If your place already has overhead lights on the ceilings, it's not difficult to install them.

Just giving you ideas on how you can live through the summer with your door closed!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:50 AM

Those are some great ideas, thanks!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,445,382 times
Quote:
Those are some great ideas, thanks!
Outdoor for sure! I have never owned an inside only cat. The best cat I ever owned lived to be 25 years old and he was a live wire. I installed a door for him to come and go as he pleased. That cat would rather die than to be forced to live inside. His world revolved around being outside playing in the grass, climbing trees, chasing birds and lizards, roaming around the bayou at night basking in the sunlight during the day. He would come in to eat, sleep or when it was cold or raining. That was his world and he loved it. He passed away 10 years ago as he hit old age and died peacefully in my house.

I now have a new kitten that is 6 months old and I am exposing him to outside. He loves it! I want to expose him to many things out there before allowing him his first night out. He really enjoys our little exploration journeys and cries when we have to come in. I think once he is older he will be spending a majority of his time outside. He still has so much to learn and I can only teach him some things. He is a great cat.

I think it depends on many factors as to allow your cat to go outside or not. Some cats are afraid to go out, some are not very bright and could find themselves in a lot of trouble or get lost or run over or beat up by other cats. If you have a cat that really enjoys going out then by all means take him out and show him as much as you can and let them learn the ropes little by little and if they are a smart cat they will flourish by being allowed outside. Pet doors that are designed for cats are the best investment for your curious wondering critter. They do like to come home at night and curl up in their bed.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 AM

My OH has had the idea today that he'd put up a fence to completely enclose the garden (its mostly enclosed already) so that Charlie can go out in the garden but not further though I'm not really sure how feasible that will be... but his thought is that it would be nicer if Charlie and my daughter would have free access to the garden in the summer. That would be great for my toddler but again, not sure how a fence will stop a cat escaping.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:25 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
My OH has had the idea today that he'd put up a fence to completely enclose the garden (its mostly enclosed already) so that Charlie can go out in the garden but not further though I'm not really sure how feasible that will be... but his thought is that it would be nicer if Charlie and my daughter would have free access to the garden in the summer. That would be great for my toddler but again, not sure how a fence will stop a cat escaping.
It probably won't. Cats are natural climbers and can scale anything they can get their claws in. If your yard were to be completely enclosed by a 6 foot tall fence made of smooth material (plastic or metal) then the cat probably couldn't climb it and get out. But the feasibility & eye appeal of this would be questionable. Many people are now building outdoor enclosures for their cats that have a screen type cover (or roof), and this may be something to think about. Cats can also squeeze through small, narrow openings that you would think impossible for them to fit through, which is why fences usually aren't very effective for containing a cat.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
It probably won't. Cats are natural climbers and can scale anything they can get their claws in. If your yard were to be completely enclosed by a 6 foot tall fence made of smooth material (plastic or metal) then the cat probably couldn't climb it and get out. But the feasibility & eye appeal of this would be questionable. Many people are now building outdoor enclosures for their cats that have a screen type cover (or roof), and this may be something to think about. Cats can also squeeze through small, narrow openings that you would think impossible for them to fit through, which is why fences usually aren't very effective for containing a cat.
Thats what I was thinking, but I'll see what his idea actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats