Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,359,456 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, so me and my beloved Edgar are moving out of the place we have been living his whole life into a new place. Its a big room, but its just a room, and I want to make his life as interesting as I can. He is used to being outside most of the day, then I bring him in. I really don't want to do that in this hood til I really get to know the place, if at all. Its near a very large park and I figure coyotes are gonna be running around so I really think this is just gonna have to be a permanent lifestyle change for him.

I would love to hear your stories/personal experiences with this sort of thing.

One of my new roommates also has a cat so we are planning on having playdates with them together. She actually taught her cat how to walk on a leash, so I figure that would be a good thing as well. I will DEFINITELY give him his outside time at night with a walk because I love to walk at night as well. So me and him will be nightwalk partners.

Thought about building him like a tunnel system he can play in so he won't be bored.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM

26,664 posts, read 28,786,684 times
I hope someone else can suggest methods of turning an outdoor cat into an indoor cat because I have tried and failed. In my personal experience, once they've had a whiff of the outside air and they know what it's like to roam and to patrol their own territory, there's no turning back.

Any cat I've ever had would not follow instructions to stay inside if they had ever been outside. There was no half way. If you open the door a tiny bit, they get out like greased lightening. If you think they can sit on the back steps with you and stay there, think again because the minute you turn your head they're off.

I have enjoyed taking cats for walks on a leash at the beach and one cat liked to go hiking in the woods, following me around, even walking across single log bridges over brooks. But be very careful. I lost one beautiful cat because I took him in his carrier when I went to visit someone and he got out of their house and got run over.

Just don't give your cat any freedom outside if you want to keep him and are not sure of the safety of the area because they do not think. They are animals who revert to their natural instincts (roaming is one of them) and it is easier than you could ever imagine to end up minus one cat.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,046,769 times
The tunnel sounds like a good idea. Also, make sure he has access to look out the windows. If you're on the ground floor, hang a bird feeder to entertain him. It's like cat tv to the kitties. A cat tree/perch near the window is also good. You can also hang shelves at different levels around the room so he can go from wall to wall around the room. That is if you are allowed to hang shelves.

Get him some interactive toys for the two of you to play with. Also, toys that will amuse him when he is alone.

I think the most important thing is to have lots of patience and diligence in keeping him inside. It can be done. There are others on here who have transitioned their kitties to indoor only. Good luck to you both and enjoy your new place!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,015,677 times
Both my cats were rescued from the "great outdoors".

Neither has any interest in going outside ever again.

I can stand at the door with it wide open and call them. They won't move any closer to the door.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:31 AM

638 posts, read 997,427 times
We took one off the streets as well that is perfectly content staying inside. However,we have a nice sunroom/screen room he loves and uses as his outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats