Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times

Advertisements

It doesn't say in the article (or I missed it), so I wonder if they asked for the cat to be returned before being contacted by Animal Planet, or after. Makes a difference in their motivation. My first thought is that the Animal Services people shouldn't have returned Lux to them, but it's possible they felt that it was the lesser of two evils. Considering the circumstances Lux was probably on the short list to be PTS, and the shelter wanted to avoid that if possible. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
It doesn't say in the article (or I missed it), so I wonder if they asked for the cat to be returned before being contacted by Animal Planet, or after. Makes a difference in their motivation. My first thought is that the Animal Services people shouldn't have returned Lux to them, but it's possible they felt that it was the lesser of two evils. Considering the circumstances Lux was probably on the short list to be PTS, and the shelter wanted to avoid that if possible. Just a thought.
Well...

1.) The same day that Lux's story first became big viral news, Jackson posted on Facebook about it and was preparing for the likelihood of a visit. Pretty sure contact (while I'm not sure who initiated it) happened about the time this hit the news.

2.) While I agree that a cat with a history of "aggression" may be on a short list to be PTS, I also think that if this shelter has anyone with any decision making authority whatsoever, who knows ANYTHING or cares EVEN A BIT about animals... They might be able to see that this cat would do fine with owners who had no kids/pets most likely. It may just be a creature to be recommended for a quieter environment. And they had a bajillion people who saw the story in the news, reaching out to volunteer to take the cat. This was a cat with options. They could have used the publicity to hold some kind of fundraising event or adoption mega-fair.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well...

1.) The same day that Lux's story first became big viral news, Jackson posted on Facebook about it and was preparing for the likelihood of a visit. Pretty sure contact (while I'm not sure who initiated it) happened about the time this hit the news.

2.) While I agree that a cat with a history of "aggression" may be on a short list to be PTS, I also think that if this shelter has anyone with any decision making authority whatsoever, who knows ANYTHING or cares EVEN A BIT about animals... They might be able to see that this cat would do fine with owners who had no kids/pets most likely. It may just be a creature to be recommended for a quieter environment. And they had a bajillion people who saw the story in the news, reaching out to volunteer to take the cat. This was a cat with options. They could have used the publicity to hold some kind of fundraising event or adoption mega-fair.
Good point. Wasn't trying to excuse the shelter, as I think they made a mistake returning Lux to the family. They certainly had reasons not to. Maybe for whatever reason they didn't want the publicity over a fight for custody of the cat, which, now it seems, the family wanted back so they could be on tv.
What concerns me is what happens after Jackson shows up, does his thing and everything's cool, then he leaves. Will this family suddenly have an epiphany and miraculously begin to actually love this cat & treat it as a family member? Or will things go back to the way they were before the cameras showed up.
I can't help but question these peoples' motives, and I really feel sorry for Lux.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:25 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
The more I read about lux, the more I think maybe his owners need to spend some time in a cage until they learn HOW to respect their pets.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith-great View Post
I'm guessin' the dog will not be far behind......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This savage animal needs to be put to sleep.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
The more I read about lux, the more I think maybe his owners need to spend some time in a cage until they learn HOW to respect their pets.

Some people think their children should be able to do anything to a pet and the pet not defend itself or retaliate. But kicking the cat? That to me is abuse and from what I read the child wasn't even hurt.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Apparently a lot of folks agree with this writer. I'm one of them.

Cat from Hell? Try owner from hell - Burlington County Times: News
I agree with this also. The cat deserves a better home.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats