Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,974 times

Advertisements

We have a really good cat. He's a little over 1 year old and has never peed anywhere but his litter box. All of a sudden in the past two days he's peed on my son's bed and my daughters bed. Anyone have any ideas why? Someone I know suggested he might have a urinary tract infection. We really like him and sure wouldn't want to have to get rid of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,137,645 times
Yes, sounds like you might be on the right track with the urinary infection, and he needs to see a vet as quickly as possible. There are a few other threads on here asking about the same situation and I would read through those that suggest the same thing.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Other then a urinary infection (yr old cat?)

What I did was to rub their nose in the mess and spank their behinds along with a scolding.

My two cats learned real quick what NOT to do.

They were brother and sister from two separate litters. (had then fixed with NO problems)

They learned from a early age and later yrs on had NO problems.

Steve

Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM

548 posts, read 1,480,063 times
Maybe your cat is retalliating. Were your kids a little rough with your cat before the peeing happened? Was there any kind of incident?

The cat my friend grew up with pees on her things whenever she returns home for a visit. That cat slept with her every night for at least 5 years before she went off to college. My sister's dog has peed on her pillow a couple of times after she made the dog stay outside when he wanted in. One of my dogs used to poop on my husband's rug every time he returned from deployment. The other dog pooped in her bed 4 nights in a row because I wouldn't let her sleep with me. People say animals don't act out this way, but some really do.

I wouldn't rub your cat's nose in the pee. Why not shut the doors to your kids' bedrooms? That would solve the problem. Give him some extra love and have the kids do the same. And of course, take him to the vet to rule out the uti.

You can work through this. Please keep your kitty! Good luck!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM

My "kids" are 20 and 23. I should have made that clear, lol. He's primarily my son's cat and he sleeps in his room every night. Since this is such a sudden thing and there have been no changes in his habitat, we are kinda baffled. Thank you for your responses. My son made an appt. with the vet. We do not want to get rid of him for sure. Up to now he's been a really good cat.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Before doing anything have him medically checked. Yes a UTI sounds like it could be the culprit. A vet visit ASAP!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Its a define indication that the cat mostly likely has a urnary tract infection. Take it to the vet and have it checked.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:05 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,040,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Other then a urinary infection (yr old cat?)

What I did was to rub their nose in the mess and spank their behinds along with a scolding.

My two cats learned real quick what NOT to do.

They were brother and sister from two separate litters. (had then fixed with NO problems)

They learned from a early age and later yrs on had NO problems.

Steve
I hope you're kidding. It's never appropriate to hit any animal.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,137,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
My "kids" are 20 and 23. I should have made that clear, lol. He's primarily my son's cat and he sleeps in his room every night. Since this is such a sudden thing and there have been no changes in his habitat, we are kinda baffled. Thank you for your responses. My son made an appt. with the vet. We do not want to get rid of him for sure. Up to now he's been a really good cat.
Glad you are going to the vet. I would follow the kitty when he heads towards the litter box, see what happens. My Snarf has had this problem and I was alerted by his "grooming"--he was licking his behind more than usual. I followed him to the cat box and saw how little he went, I knew immed what the problem was. I am lucky cause I stay home all day so when my cats do something out of the norm, I have to watch them. Having a little more info to share with the vet may help, if you notice excessing licking-let your vet know. If kitty is only peeing a little bit or has blood, let them know.
I think Vets are great because they dont have patients who can tell them what is bothering them or where it hurts, but we can help Please keep us all posted!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Well my son got him to the vet and he does have an infection. He's running a fever. Vet pressed his bladder area and said if it was a urinary tract infection, he would have really reacted to her probing but he didn't so she's not entirely sure of what the infection is. She gave him a shot of anti biotics and we have to squirt some down his throat once a day but she said he should be fine. Thank you all very much for your responses. As I said, he's a goodcat and we're quite attached to him. Here he is by the way. His name is Dexter.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/jeepejeep/MiSheps-2007-509190134.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats