Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times

Advertisements

In a quandary here. We are going on a two week trip down south and I will need to board my cat.
Usually when we go away and never for that long, son or dil come in once a day to feed, water, spend some time and clean out box. We have never been gone this long.

My problem now is she doesn't like to be alone for extended periods of time, our house will be listed and I can't have some realtor accidently let her get out and be outside for lord knows how long and I can't lose two prime weeks of the selling market where I live to tell realtors to stay away. Purpose of trip is too explore a few locations we may want to live if house sells.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone who could stay at my house and cat sit for two weeks.

My vet has a boarding for dogs and cats so he will be near..just worried. Had used this kennel in past when we had a dog so no issues with it.

Anyone have experience boarding a cat? Do they keep them caged all day? I have lots of questions for the boarding facility just was hoping for some input from people who may have done this before.

PLEASE useful suggestions, I'm already stressing so don't need any negativity about boarding my cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 10:06 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I boarded a cat many years ago. I had to call a ton of places before I found any that let them out for playtime, and one of the two that I found answered kind of begrudgingly, saying it cost extra to do so. From their attitude, I didn't trust them to actually do it, and I went with the other place, which seemed to be OK. I'm fortunate not to have had to board my cats since, but I know boarding for dogs has gotten much more homelike, and I would hope it's the same for cats. There is a place I looked at a few years ago and then didn't need, that had extra nice facilities for the dogs, and windows looking out at bird feeders for the cats as well as a nice room for playtime. It was the only one around like that at the time, but now perhaps there are more that cater to the kittes. All I can say is call around, and visit ahead of time when something sounds promising if you can.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:06 AM

936 posts, read 2,069,316 times
Use a petsitting service. Hire someone to stay at your house while you're gone then you don't have to board the cat.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
Use a petsitting service. Hire someone to stay at your house while you're gone then you don't have to board the cat.
My husband would absolutely refuse to turn my home over to a stranger for two weeks.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I boarded a cat many years ago. I had to call a ton of places before I found any that let them out for playtime, and one of the two that I found answered kind of begrudgingly, saying it cost extra to do so. From their attitude, I didn't trust them to actually do it, and I went with the other place, which seemed to be OK. I'm fortunate not to have had to board my cats since, but I know boarding for dogs has gotten much more homelike, and I would hope it's the same for cats. There is a place I looked at a few years ago and then didn't need, that had extra nice facilities for the dogs, and windows looking out at bird feeders for the cats as well as a nice room for playtime. It was the only one around like that at the time, but now perhaps there are more that cater to the kittes. All I can say is call around, and visit ahead of time when something sounds promising if you can.
Thanks, very good suggestions. I've surfed around on the net as well. Many say don't board in a place that boards cats and dogs because the constant barking can really irritate the cat

Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
It is always difficult to know what happens when you aren't around.

My cat was boarded for three days at a cat hospital for thyroid radiation and they called everyday telling me how well she was doing and that she was eating. I'm not sure she was as happy as they claimed but she had been eating. Some vets do board but they might also have dogs and are generally pretty loud with workers and sick animals in and out all day. A worker at a cat rescue told us that a well regarded cat hospital here doesn't have anyone there at night and they had one die on an over night stay.because she was alone. I know your cats are healthy so that shouldn't be a huge concern for you.

Have you looked in the city you are moving to so that they can travel with you, if you are driving, but stay at a "kitty hotel" while you house hunt.

We are having the same issue as my DH won't even look because he doesn't want to leave the cats alone, or board them, so we can find a new retirement home.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
I used to board one or more cats (different times) when I was going on business travel. One place was associated with a veterinarian and had kitty "condos" that had a place for sleeping and a larger place to move around. All of the places I've boarded them have always kept the cats in large cages, usually with a window view. The cats mainly slept anyway, and didn't seem to mind not getting any exercise during their stay. I know the staff would love on them during the day though, which is more than my pet sitter is able to do. As soon as she comes into the house all of the cats except the 19 year-old disappear and don't come out until she is long gone. She just leaves their wet food in bowls on the floor and cleans it up at night, and provides fresh water and does litter box duty. I will, however, have to board all five cats when my one and only bathroom is demolished in April - there is NO way they can be in the house during that noise and disturbance!

Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I used to board one or more cats (different times) when I was going on business travel. One place was associated with a veterinarian and had kitty "condos" that had a place for sleeping and a larger place to move around. All of the places I've boarded them have always kept the cats in large cages, usually with a window view. The cats mainly slept anyway, and didn't seem to mind not getting any exercise during their stay. I know the staff would love on them during the day though, which is more than my pet sitter is able to do. As soon as she comes into the house all of the cats except the 19 year-old disappear and don't come out until she is long gone. She just leaves their wet food in bowls on the floor and cleans it up at night, and provides fresh water and does litter box duty. I will, however, have to board all five cats when my one and only bathroom is demolished in April - there is NO way they can be in the house during that noise and disturbance!
This helps.....yes unless my cat KNEW the person like my son she would hide under the bed until they left.
Will just go and visit a few places.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It is always difficult to know what happens when you aren't around.

My cat was boarded for three days at a cat hospital for thyroid radiation and they called everyday telling me how well she was doing and that she was eating. I'm not sure she was as happy as they claimed but she had been eating. Some vets do board but they might also have dogs and are generally pretty loud with workers and sick animals in and out all day. A worker at a cat rescue told us that a well regarded cat hospital here doesn't have anyone there at night and they had one die on an over night stay.because she was alone. I know your cats are healthy so that shouldn't be a huge concern for you.

Have you looked in the city you are moving to so that they can travel with you, if you are driving, but stay at a "kitty hotel" while you house hunt.

We are having the same issue as my DH won't even look because he doesn't want to leave the cats alone, or board them, so we can find a new retirement home.
No, it wouldn't be a hospital but a boarding facility for cats and dogs.
I think she would be more stressed in the car and moving around........
Tough when you have pets...lol leaving them

Old 02-25-2015, 11:50 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
When I saw "boarding a cat" ,for some reason I thought it was in reference to skinning .
It was funny at the time . sorry.
I like cats, but the local cats seem to like my chickens, and it's frustrating the relationship.
Hence I thought it was funny "boarding a cat"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats