Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 12:05 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

I just want to get confirmation as to what's going on tonight.... I have two boy cats. Younger one was brought in as a 8 week old and now he's almost 3. Both cats get along just fine... usually...

It's been kind of a weird 24 hours... we had been boarding some friend's cats for a month and younger one, Twinky, pretty much wanted nothing to do with our room (they were in the master suite). Thomas, the older, was far more curious and we allowed him to come in from time to time and hang out.

So last night the cats left and I went in and cleaned the room and moved our stuff back in. First time in a month I've left the area open. That's a change...

Also, too, I had to take Thomas to the vet because he's been vomiting (likely it's UBD, but the kind that makes them vomit, not poop). When I brought Thomas home he went and hid for a few hours like usual, but when he decided to come out for dinner and Twinky came too.. the odd thing happened: Twinky was hissing and growling at Thomas.

My husband says it's because Thomas smells like the vet. I think he's likely right.

I was just wondering if this has happened with other people's cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 08:45 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Yep, your husband is right. Cats rely hugely on scent and sometimes act like they don't recognize their friends at all when they come back from the vet. I don't think it's uncommon.

I would separate them for a while and then see if Twinky gets over it in due time. If not, you might have to reintroduce the cats completely. I had to do this with my cats after we moved - one cat acted like he didn't even know his brother. I think he reacted that way because of the stress of the move and the fact that my parents gave us some furniture that had their own cat's scent on it. After about a week of being separated and then reintroduced, my cat was fine.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:48 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Cai does that to Suze when Suze has been outside for a few minutes or an hour then comes back inside.
Cai also hisses and carries on at Suze when she can see her through the door outside.
They go to the vet together so we don't have that issue.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:10 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Oh yes, it's used to happen all of the time at our house when our Tucker was alive. When we brought the cat(s) who had been to the vet, we would feed everyone separately and shut Tucker in a room for an hour or so. After eating and a little time alone, things would calm down.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Yup-whenever one or more would go to the vet, they would start growling. Sometimes when they ALL go. They don't like the vet and that smell just reminds them of it. It will go away before long and all things will go back to normal-well, as normal as it can be with cats. lol

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats