Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 PM

439 posts, read 423,582 times

Advertisements

If I was driving my Ford Escape I think I would just take the cats. But I will be driving a Penske truck with one bench seat. No room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
When my sister passed away and I inherited her Tonkinese cat, I had the choice of flying the cat by cargo unaccompanied (I did not go out for the funeral due to health problems) or having her transported using a pet transport van. After checking out the travel arrangements that would be necessary with air flight, and the fact that I lived two hours from the airport as well (so that the cat would still have more travel even after the flight was over), I decided to go with the pet transport van. It was absolutely fantastic. I got texts and photos along the entire route from Idaho to Virginia. The cat was allowed to come out of the cage and lie on the alternate driver's chest and nap. The drivers drove straight through, stopping only for meals and rest stops. No, it wasn't cheap but it was well worth it. The cat arrived relaxed and healthy and adapted much more quickly to a new home with a new "Mom" and 4 strange cats than I think she would have otherwise.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:45 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
I definitely would get them their own crates. I'm not sure the airlines will even allow you to put 2 cats in one crate but even if they do, separate them. You never know how they will react to the stress of the flight. Be sure and do your research well in advance as to what the airline will require to ship your cats. Different airlines have different requirements. Also you will need a health certificate from the vet which is only good for a short time (10 days maybe??). They will also have to be current on their rabies vaccines. There are several hoops you will need to jump through to get them on a flight.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
I flew my cat from Seattle to Kansas City several years ago.

She made it, and wet herself but was otherwise OK, albeit shaken up. It was a 3-1/2 hour flight.

I few Alaska Airlines. Would recommend them if you can.

I would also advise if you can, to not switch planes. The quicker you can do it, the better.

That said, I will never do it again unless I absolutely have no choice.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:30 AM

268 posts, read 227,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
I am planning a cross country move next year from Seattle area to (SC, GA,FL). I will be renting a Penske truck and towing my Ford. I have two terriers and two cats. One cat does not travel well at all-he is very sensitive to change and goes feral. I am thinking I will take the dogs with me then have the cats flown out in, cargo as they will be flying alone, a week or so later. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Don't ship cargo. There has to be a better way. Most cats that ran into issues and one losing it's life at Kennedy Int AP were flown cargo. Take them with you in the truck.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Put them in a pet carrier and take them with you, they will be fine.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:15 AM

10 posts, read 6,450 times
Contact the air travel you are wanting to fly with to see if you are able to transport your cat within the airport terminal cabin in a carrier underneath the seat before you. Avoid transporting your cat within the cargo or luggage hold if at all possible. Most airlines will help you to bring your cat on the flight within the cabin area for a small charge.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
I've found that except for very small cats it takes a very brisk wind to keep them aloft.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:54 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
I flew Flying Tigers back in the day!

Old 06-26-2019, 11:27 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m38up View Post
Contact the air travel you are wanting to fly with to see if you are able to transport your cat within the airport terminal cabin in a carrier underneath the seat before you. Avoid transporting your cat within the cargo or luggage hold if at all possible. Most airlines will help you to bring your cat on the flight within the cabin area for a small charge.
He has to travel with 2 cats; and in order to do that he will have to pay for two seats and put one cat each under of the seats in front of him. Unless airplane space has increased, there is only room under the seat next to the window. One cat per carrier only.

He is not flying himself, he is driving the truck. Hopefully he will work something out to take the kitties with him in the front seat of the truck. He is also traveling with 2 dogs. Maybe he could pay someone to follow him in a car with either the kitties or the dogs.

It is a tricky situation, and I hope that he comes back on here to tell us all that the trip was a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats