Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 06:04 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times

Advertisements

My cat has been waking up in the middle of the night and wants to eat. She's 9 pounds and gets 3 cans of wet food daily. She can't eat dry food (she vomits and it's disgusting) so giving kibble at night is not going to work. How can I get her to stop this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 06:36 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
When was the last time you took your cat in to the vet? That's a LOT of food you're feeding. (We have two 9 pound cats and they eat 1 can of food each daily). She could have a health issue.

You don't say how old she is, but hyperthyroidism is common in older kitties and it causes them to eat more (because their system is in overdrive, so they still lose weight). There's the possibility of diabetes, or other health issues.

Old 03-28-2023, 04:11 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
My cat has been waking up in the middle of the night and wants to eat. She's 9 pounds and gets 3 cans of wet food daily. She can't eat dry food (she vomits and it's disgusting) so giving kibble at night is not going to work. How can I get her to stop this?
Alright I got this. I had two and one ate more than the other but I did this anyway.

I kept two cans of the small wet food in the refrigerator always as extra for evening. Every night I made sure I kept the cans cold before I went to bed.

I made it routine to put all toy pom pom balls and soft little mice toys along with other toys for them.

Just before bed after brushing my teeth they got two bowls of fresh bottled water along with the two cans of cold wet food. Most cats do not like it cold but within I think about an hour it smells much better to them and not to cold for their teeth. Also it prevented it from spoiling because it stayed cold for quite a while.

While I sleep they play hunter until they are to tired to play anymore then it's get to wet cat food that is now just the right temperature for eating.

I always left that wet food out so they had it to keep the satiated until morning. But you see I was lucky they could eat the Rx dry food just in case they wanted a little more and if anything happened to me during the night they would be ok until someone found me. I swear it does help because they like to play hunt more in the evening.

When my boy passed over the rainbow my girl got the same and had his to eat too. So she got double. She was always a tiny sweet little girl.

Last edited by staystill; 03-28-2023 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: always in the refrigerator as an extra. Home from work for dinner it was not cold just room temp in unopened can.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:37 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
The amount of food your cat is consuming doesn't sound right to me either. I can split two cans of wet food for 3 cats in a whole day (plus a little kibble). And my cats are over 9lbs.

So, my cats are eating about 2/3 of a can per day, while yours is eating 3 cans! Talking about the 3oz. cans.

Even though a lot of cats throw up, I read that it's not normal. So, I'd definitely recommend a trip to the vet.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:22 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
If it turns out that everything is okay at the vet, then I would try an automatic feeder.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:30 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
[quote=StarlaJane;65086956]If it turns out that everything is okay at the vet, then I would try an automatic feeder.[/QUOTE

I think automatic feeders are for dry food. I started out only allowing them each a half a can of the little fancy feast wet food but look back now and I think I should have gotten the bigger cans like 9Lives size. They were always hungry with half of the fancy feast. I finally learned my lesson and gave them each one full can of the little fancy feast food.

Then at night well you know from my other comment. They were so much happier and I think more satiated with one whole can each. Plus the hated the cut up rubber bands they claim was chicken. Next kitty I adopt will get boiled chicken with taurine on it. I just have to figure out how to make a nice sauce kitty friendly to stop from drying out.

That was a good idea take the cat to the vet just to make sure everything is medically ok.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I think automatic feeders are for dry food.
They work better with dry food but can be used for both, depending on which model you purchase.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:13 PM

115 posts, read 103,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
When was the last time you took your cat in to the vet? That's a LOT of food you're feeding. (We have two 9 pound cats and they eat 1 can of food each daily). She could have a health issue.

You don't say how old she is, but hyperthyroidism is common in older kitties and it causes them to eat more (because their system is in overdrive, so they still lose weight). There's the possibility of diabetes, or other health issues.

I totally agree. I have a very large Turkish Van/Maine Coon mix (2 feet in length not counting tail and weighed 22lbs) and I do not feed him that much. He gets a half a can of wet food in the morning before I go to work and in the evening for dinner. I leave kibble down for him to snack on. Yes we had to try several brands of kibble and we now use a 2 parts fancy feast, 1 part royal Cannin hairball. This has cut the barfing down to twice a month at most.

As far as the vomit issue goes, I found that litter on the paws will make them barf as well. So, I use an old toothbrush to dust the bottom of the paws off.

I just experienced the thyroid issue with my 15 year old. He lost a lot of weight in a short time and ate almost constantly. He also developed a infection along with a host of other issues in less than 2 weeks. A trip to the ER, fixed everything. He is now on thyroid medication and still does not eat as much as she is feeding her cat.

Last edited by Three20nine; 04-01-2023 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: forgot a sentence.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:27 PM

115 posts, read 103,063 times
[quote=staystill;65086989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
If it turns out that everything is okay at the vet, then I would try an automatic feeder.[/QUOTE

I think automatic feeders are for dry food. I started out only allowing them each a half a can of the little fancy feast wet food but look back now and I think I should have gotten the bigger cans like 9Lives size. They were always hungry with half of the fancy feast. I finally learned my lesson and gave them each one full can of the little fancy feast food.

Then at night well you know from my other comment. They were so much happier and I think more satiated with one whole can each. Plus the hated the cut up rubber bands they claim was chicken. Next kitty I adopt will get boiled chicken with taurine on it. I just have to figure out how to make a nice sauce kitty friendly to stop from drying out.

That was a good idea take the cat to the vet just to make sure everything is medically ok.
My 2 stayed hungry as well. Then a vet told me that due to their age they needed more protein. That fancy fest was like eating junk food for their age. After trial and error, we settled on Purina Pro 9 oz cans. I split a can of pate between the 2 cats in the morning. Then a can of shredded in the evening. They are full and satisfied after each meal.
1 brand they refused after one sniff, one brand, I hated and didn't trust the smell (chemicals) 1 brand, I swear it looked like they laughed at me before the walked away without eating. 1 brand made them puke and 1 brand was just too expensive.

Last edited by Three20nine; 04-01-2023 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: incorrect spelling

Old 04-02-2023, 06:39 AM

[quote=Three20nine;65089367]
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
My 2 stayed hungry as well. Then a vet told me that due to their age they needed more protein. That fancy fest was like eating junk food for their age. After trial and error, we settled on Purina Pro 9 oz cans. I split a can of pate between the 2 cats in the morning. Than a can of shredded in the evening. They are full and satisfied after each meal.
1 brand they refused after one sniff, one brand, I hated and didn't trust the smell (chemicals) 1 brand, I swear it looked like they laughed at me before the walked away without eating. 1 brand made them puke and 1 brand was just too expensive.
Great point. It can be an issue re: quality versus quantity. And, as you pointed out, finding the right food is often a trail-and-error process that requires dedication and a time commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats