Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,323,778 times

Advertisements

For years our cat would only eat FF-after a while it only was the grilled variety-now I know totally unhealthy.
Now I realize, (it makes common sense)you eat garbage it, whether it humans ,cats or dogs, your bad habits will eventually catches up with you

After finding this forum and reading how bad it was I have been able to successfully switch her over to Wellness,Healthy Indulgence-. It is not ground up and short of mimics the ff grilled.

Even though it is more costly I know I will be avoiding costly vet bills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:41 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Take a look at this womans animals. She has written several books and has recipes for dogs and cats. I'm going to try a couple of cat food recipes.

Pet Safety and Health Links:

NewSage Press presents the New Edition of Food Pets Die for: Shocking Facts

Old 11-15-2009, 10:56 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,423,051 times
I have had three that love Fancy Feast. Apache (passed away in 2005 at 15) liked beef the best. Dominique (whom I lost at 13 this May) wouldn't eat anything but beef. Baby, who is 6, has decided she prefers the Medleys but will lower herself the eat the beef and chicken once in a great while. Yes, I am spoiling Baby, because she had never been an "only" cat before we lost Dominique. My neighbor's cat will also only eat Fancy Feast.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
I have never seen anything like it.

My cats, Annie-age 7, and Stella-age 13, have gone totally bonkers over Fancy Feast. I used the list provided earlier in this thread (AND THANK YOU SO MUCH) and ran it by my vet. Annie is diabetic and Stella needs fluids. So, the girls are now eating the turkey and giblets FF. They beg for it. Neither of them have ever begged for food before. It's gluten free and provides a well rounded diet with plenty of fluid. It does my heart good to know that they love food that is also good for them.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,482 times
Default Cat food charts, list of low carb Fancy Feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
which ones have the most carbs so we know which ones to avoid

Would you mind telling us which ones these are?

I have attached a link to a list of the Low Carb, Gluten Free Fancy Feast
[URL="http://www.felinediabetes.com/printgluten.htm"]http://www.felinediabetes.com/printgluten.htm[/URL]

Since there are soo many varieties of Fancy Feast it was kind of hard at first to find the correct ones. They are of the Gourmet variety. The list also includes the color of the can, so that helps too. Also, if you read the ingredients and it says it has wheat gluten in it, then you know its not that right kind.

I have a diabetic cat and just switched him to Fancy Feast from the more expensive brands. He really likes it and it makes me feel good to know it is good for him and low in carbs. It is so hard to determine that from reading the labels.

Here is another link about diabeties in cats. It has a list all the different brands of food with the fat content, protein content and carb content. Even if your cat does not have diabeties it is very helpful. This way you know exactly what your cat is getting.
[URL]http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm[/URL]

Old 11-23-2009, 02:31 PM

66 posts, read 199,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by open minded View Post
Of course not! Attached to this post is a zipped file that contains an excel file which outlines all the flavors that my vet recommends. I stopped listing them once I hit the line she drew to show which ones to omit from my cats' diets. I tried to find a more user friendly way to post it but this was the best way I could figure it out.

Happy I can share a bit of info to help other kitty lovers out there!
OpenMinded...

For some reason I can not open the zip file... Any suggestions how I might see your list?

Crinkle has not eaten any of the more expensive canned cat foods I have purchased at the "Natural" stores... She will eat their dry food. However, she does not seem to drink very much water, and only has one or two small urine balls a day, so I have decided to add some wet food to her diet once a day. The last few days I have tried FF Medley Turkey Florentine mixed with a little water, and she now actually looks for that first thing in the morning! She is only 1 yr 5 months and I want to get her used to eating healthier food, if possible.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 PM

622 posts, read 1,725,347 times
Unless you have a cat that badly needs weight on it... such as a cat with advanced FIV... feline LeV.. and will NOT eat. I would shy away from such brands.

The reasons why cats are hooked by the "speical ingredent" is because they put it there to make it marketable.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 AM

I've used Wellnes from time to time. There's not enough moisture in it, IMO. The cats eat it, but not eagerly. Last week I bought Wellness and Innova. They don't seem to care for the Innova, and are eating the Wellness if there's nothing else to eat. They do love Fancy Feast.
The vet gave me a nutritional supplement powder to mix into their daily food.

I cooked some of my own for them - lots of tender chicken, aspic, and a touch of pumpkin. I blended it to where it's the consistency of baby food. Tastes and smells really good!! They're not crazy about it. The first day they sniffed and turned their backs on it, but they seem to be willing to eat it now. I thought I'd have to feed it to the dogs who, of course, love it because it's 99% chicken.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:03 PM

622 posts, read 1,725,347 times
Put a small chicken in a crockpot with butter and chicken broth, simmur until the meat is tender and give them some of the meat and a little of the broth to drink, while serving yourself some with rice. THATS probably a great treat.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJacoba View Post
OpenMinded...

For some reason I can not open the zip file... Any suggestions how I might see your list?
That zipped file doesn't open for me either. Message says it may be corrupted. I really was interested in seeing it. I tried extracting it, and got the message that the folder is empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats