Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM

14 posts, read 168,358 times

Advertisements

The cat i was telling you about, zeke the siamese ; one day brought home an all black wild kitten with him. I have no idea where he found this feral cat, but one day he was meowing to get in the back door, and up popped this little black face right beside him. When i opened the door she bolted. Shortly after that, my husband went out to start his truck for work, and heard a big thud. Yes you guessed it, she was up underneath. He picked her up to dispose of her body, when suddenly i saw her "twitch". The poor little thing. I put her little broken body in our utility room, not sure what to do for a time. I went in later to check, thinking she had probably died, and there she was , bloody and battered, just looking at me. At that moment i just knew what i had to do. I put heavy gloves on and put her in our catcarrier..there was no sound or movement from her, i wasent even sure if she would make it to the vet clinic, a 40 mile trip. But she did. The vet examined her, and found that no major organs were injured, but she had a pretty badly smashed up leg. without hesitation, i told him to fix her. After the surgery, i brought the little wild thing home,,,placed her in our basement, with litter and food. With the help of my cat zeke, and many hours down there with her, i eventually tamed her. A surgery or two later, to take the pins out of her legs, spay her etc, and she was pretty much tamed. Those two cats were inseparable. She gave me so many hours of pleasure. It broke my heart when she disappeared after i had to move. I like to think i gave her a few years of pampered comfortable family life, after such a terrible start she had.
so that is why i think i have a soft spot for feral cats. Well all cats and animals really, and i felt compelled to write you. And after all that time taming (fanbelt fanny, the vet named her) , i know the hissing doesnt mean a thing, and what it really wants is love from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:03 PM

by the way, im just new to this forum, and probably not posting right..excuse me for that i'll get it sooner or later

Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
You are posting correctly and that was just a lovely story. Thank you . Fanbelt Fanny . I love it !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliek4 View Post
by the way, im just new to this forum, and probably not posting right..excuse me for that i'll get it sooner or later
juliek4, you are posting absolutely right!! And your story was wonderful!!

The latest with the semi feral cat is that he now is getting fussy. If he doesn't like what I give him to eat, he'll turn his nose up. I can't afford to feed him chicken breast EVERY day. I don't get that every day. He also rubbed up against my leg, very gently, meowing, and then of course hissing. He makes no effort to scratch at me, or bite, just hisses. I'm learning to ignore the hissing.

Now what is interesting is that the wilder of the semi feral cats, has been hanging out more in my yard and driveway. Yesterday, when the food was not up to my hissing friend's standards, she came along and finished up.

One of them provided a dead dragonfly on my doorstep. At least its not a dead mouse.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:13 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
One of them provided a dead dragonfly on my doorstep. At least its not a dead mouse.
How funny! They are trying to repay you!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Now what is interesting is that the wilder of the semi feral cats, has been hanging out more in my yard and driveway. Yesterday, when the food was not up to my hissing friend's standards, she came along and finished up.
LOL -- cats know a good-hearted cat-person when they see one!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 AM

haha...yes they are trying to get in your good graces by giving you gifts. I get that here too, but a lot of times, these "offerings" are still alive. I think they believe they are giving me the gift of mauling it also..hehehe.
I gently take any living thing and put it somewhere that the cat cant get it again, i've returned baby gophers to their gopher holes, placed unhurt birds back in the trees , deliver the hurt ones to a refuge, and have come to find out there is a rescue organization for just about anything. i'm SUCH a softie...but i do praise the cats, and say thankyou.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:11 AM

quick update on zeke:

he seems to be holding his own. its been just a month since that major surgery. He's still very slow, but eating and bright and just loves sitting outside by the fountain watching birds and people go by. Even if this is the best he gets, then everything was worth it. For now he is enjoying life, getting pampered with everything he enjoys. He even has his own fan. (arizona) I have been "questioning" my decision to have the surgery, and whether it was hurting him more than helping. But now i have the answer. He has a qood quality of life at the moment, and seems to be getting better. My fingers are crossed, and we take one day at a time.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
You are posting correctly and that was just a lovely story. Thank you . Fanbelt Fanny . I love it !
thanks nancy

Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,676 times
Try calling private rescue groups. Look in the phone book or in pet pages. Cats do know when someone is gone and he is probably upset. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats