Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I remember that some of us were looking for recipes for homemade cat food. My local paper has a recipe for cat food and for dog food in it today and wanted to share them with you. I've never tried them because my little boy has to have food that is for urinary tract health.

Cat Food

Bring one cup water to a boil. Add one third cup dry rice,2 teaspoons corn oil and one half teaspoon iodized salt. Simmer 20 minutes. Cover 2/3 cup ground meat with one tablespoon bonemeal and add that to the rice mixture. Also add 2 tablespoons cooked liver to the mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool and serve. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.

Dog Food

Preheat oven to 350. Combine 1/2 lbs ground beef, 1/3 cup grated cheese, 1 carrot finely chopped or grated, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1 whisked egg, and 1 teaspoon tomato paste. Scoop out by the spoonful and roll into mini-sized meatballs. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake 15-20 minutes. Store in refrigerator.

You've all probably heard this, but they now have more food on recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 01:25 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
thanks Jammie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I remember that some of us were looking for recipes for homemade cat food. My local paper has a recipe for cat food and for dog food in it today and wanted to share them with you. I've never tried them because my little boy has to have food that is for urinary tract health.

Cat Food

Bring one cup water to a boil. Add one third cup dry rice,2 teaspoons corn oil and one half teaspoon iodized salt. Simmer 20 minutes. Cover 2/3 cup ground meat with one tablespoon bonemeal and add that to the rice mixture. Also add 2 tablespoons cooked liver to the mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool and serve. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.

Dog Food

Preheat oven to 350. Combine 1/2 lbs ground beef, 1/3 cup grated cheese, 1 carrot finely chopped or grated, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1 whisked egg, and 1 teaspoon tomato paste. Scoop out by the spoonful and roll into mini-sized meatballs. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake 15-20 minutes. Store in refrigerator.

You've all probably heard this, but they now have more food on recall.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:37 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
sounds like it's lacking in nutrients to me (primarily cat food)

Old 04-07-2007, 04:42 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,593 times
I think that any of us making homemade pet food - be it for cats or dogs - need to purchase and use a DAILY vitamin supplement for each of our furry friends. I've got a cat and dog supplement and I've been giving Omega 3 supplements for sometime now.

Thanks for posting, Jammie!

Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,950 times
there is a lot of confusion between commercial pet foods and what cats should really be eating.
i've been told cats should be eating raw food, because that is typically what their system thrives on - protein - chicken, fish, lamb and beef, liver. It should all be fed raw - that way they get all the nutrients they need and do not require anything else. cooking the food gets rid of all the benefits of the raw.
i gave my cat some raw chicken and he when crazy - wanted more.
anyone else been told the same? or any negatives from reliable sources? I don't necessarily trust vets as they get benefits for pushing certain foods.Cats always ate raw before commercial foods became the norm. there is too much sub quality foods now commercially - raw seems to be the way to gi

Old 04-08-2007, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,950 times
Default Raw Food for Cats

I've been told and i have heard before that feeding raw food to cats is better than cooked food.
cats need protein - chicken, fish, lamb, beef, and liver, they do not require anything else if they eat the meat raw as raw food has all the required nutrients, whereas cooked food depletes the nutrients.
can anyone else comment on this - from expert sources (no personal opinions, pls)
after dealing with the pet food recall and vet bills for my cat, i need reliable answers at this point. i am now feeding cooked chicken, but did try a bit of raw chicken. - he went wild and wanted more. so, looks like he will eat very easily but want to hear from someone else who is feeding this way or knows of a reliable website that can provide more info

Old 04-09-2007, 01:20 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
My cats won't touch raw meat. They just like their fancy feast canned. The new ones: whipped salmon souffle, eggs and garden greens all whipped together. (spoiled kitties)
I am now feeding them dry cat food from Flint River ranch. They use only human grade meat for their dog and cat foods.

I bet if you raise cats from kittenhood on raw meat, then that is what they will always want.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:24 AM

190 posts, read 542,791 times
Before starting any new diet be sure to check with your vet. This info taken from:

Before You Try a Raw Food Diet for Your Cat - What You Need to Know

Raw Food Diet for the Purist

You can put together your own recipe, using wholesome, natural ingredients. This method is a bit labor-intensive, but if you're handy with a chef's knife, or have a yen for the personal touch, you may prefer it. You are encouraged to do your own research, but here are some suggestions for the basic ingredients, in descending order, quantity-wise, with about 75% meat:
  • Raw muscle and organ meat (from the same animal source)
  • Grated above-ground vegetables (no onions - carrots are okay) and herbs
    The real purists insist that cats don't eat vegetables in the wild, and that adding vegetables to a raw meat diet is unnecessary. However, others add various vegetables and herbs for flavor, as well as their antioxidant properties, among other reasons.
  • Ground raw bones (non-splintering type such as chicken neck bones)
    You will either need to invest in a commercial grade grinder or enlist a friendly butcher to grind the bones for you.
  • Raw nuts and seeds in small amounts
  • Vitamin C and Fatty Acid
Is Raw Meat Safe?

Cats' digestive systems are finely tuned to handle things humans can't. Their stomachs have a highly acidic environment, which is an excellent deterrent to ingested bacteria. In the wild, cats sometimes eat some pretty putrid stuff with no ill effects. Wild cats die more often from infection due to injuries than from food poisoning. However, there are steps you can take if you have concerns about salmonella, e coli, or other bacteria.
  • Avoid packaged supermarket ground beef
  • Buy "free-range" meat and poultry from a trusted butcher
  • Add priobiotics (which help maintain intestinal health) to your raw food mix
  • Always use safe handling procedures, and take up and dispose of uneaten food within 30 min.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Please check Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi for a good raw food recipe. Please note that cats need calcium and taurine in their diets. You can buy taurine at Whole Foods.

Dogs also need a lot of calcium and any recipe that doesn't include it, isn't a very good one. You can also buy human grade bone meal at Whole Foods.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Please check Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi for a good raw food recipe. Please note that cats need calcium and taurine in their diets. You can buy taurine at Whole Foods.
Thanks for mentioning the taurine, Woof. It's essential for eye and heart health!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats