Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:15 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times

Advertisements

So I wake up and I don't see the orange tabby anywhere. I call her, silence, i look for her still silence. I start looking in her normal hiding spot and there she is. The problem is she does not want to leave there, something in the living room is scaring her. I brought her in the living room and she freaked out, running back to her hiding spot. She has been exposed to both cats with no issues, the male is laying next to her as he is protective of the "girls."

I pushed various spots like her liver, lungs, felt her rib cage, her head, tail, checked her over and saw no visible sores, cuts, or soft spots. She did not meow in pain or is she is not acting like she is dieing.

I left her spot open so she could sneak out and sniff around proving there is nothing out there to get her. But I am at work now, what do you folks think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Is she new to the house? Cats hide when they are sick and they are VERY stoic. You might not be able to tell she was in pain. I've had a cat with a jaw broken in 2 places (car) try to eat hard food. Vet visit in order ASAP!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
If nothing scary has happened in your home lately and if she has lived there for some time, then you need to take her to the vet. Hiding is a common sign of illness in cats.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
If nothing scary has happened in your home lately and if she has lived there for some time, then you need to take her to the vet. Hiding is a common sign of illness in cats.
Agreed! Cats are notorious for hiding symptoms...but hiding and wanting to be secluded is a good clue.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
She has lived in this area for a year or more and is comfortable with the place. She continues to stair at the living room from where she is at and won't leave the room. When i started walking around she slowly came out, but stood next to the other cat that is laying with her. Why would she freak out about the living room, that is what im curious about

I am horrible at communicating and I hope my words are coming across straight.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 9,833 times
I would call the vet. Cat's that start to behave strangely usually have something wrong. Every time one of mine started to act extremely different, there was some sort of infection. You don't want to wait too long either.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Did something happen to her in that room?

Is there something new in there, piece of furniture, something that makes a sound - like a fan?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:57 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
I agree with the other posters, cats often crawl off and hide when they are sick or dying.
However, if she is dying, the other cat would most likely avoid her and reject her rather than be lying next to her. That is just the natural manner of cat life. When my 23 year old cat came down to his last days, his lifelong companion cat who was 22 wouldn't even go near him. He totally rejected him.
On the other hand, have you recently had your carpets cleaned or changed the sprinkle that you put on your carpets to hide pet odors or had a strange pet in the house?.
Some cats may react to that.
My good thoughts are with you on a good outcome for your kitty.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
However, if she is dying, the other cat would most likely avoid her and reject her rather than be lying next to her. That is just the natural manner of cat life.
I doubt the cat is dying but, that said, have to disagree about other cats avoiding one who is dying as my experiences have been totally the opposite. The most memorable was several years ago when 23 year old "George" sprightly walked outside into the sun and lay down in a comfortable spot. I left to run some errands and, when I returned, George was still comfortably curled up, but dead. The other five cats (all much younger and who he had helped raise) were quietly sitting in a circle around him as though guarding him.

Good luck with the ginger kitty - maybe you have a ghost in the house?!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I doubt the cat is dying but, that said, have to disagree about other cats avoiding one who is dying as my experiences have been totally the opposite. The most memorable was several years ago when 23 year old "George" sprightly walked outside into the sun and lay down in a comfortable spot. I left to run some errands and, when I returned, George was still comfortably curled up, but dead. The other five cats (all much younger and who he had helped raise) were quietly sitting in a circle around him as though guarding him.

Good luck with the ginger kitty - maybe you have a ghost in the house?!
I agree...When one of ours was dying a few years back...all the others refused to leave her. They stayed with her until the end...I have to say, very touching to see the bond they all had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats