Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times

Advertisements

Ok, I had another post about the cat peeing my bed, I thought she was just upset because my husband went away for an overnight trip. But she's been doing it almost every night, I have to lock her out of the bedroom, then she pees right in front of the door.

We have another, older cat who's been acting poorly lately, he does have a thyroid problem, on meds, I've noticed him not acting right, yesterday I found him in a pool of his own urine. A cat has to be in pretty bad shape to wet himself, also, he doesn't sleep with us anymore, he probably realizes he'd mess the bed, so he just finds a spot on the floor.

when I found that yesterday I immediately took him to the vet, they did a senior panel, blood and urine, but results haven't come back today, I'm getting frustrated, he's acting somewhat better but no real improvement today, they said he had a flea infestation, but that wouldn't make him wet himself.

the reason the other kitty is peeing on my bed is to tell me something's wrong! We're waiting test results, I think its not good, he's an old cat, about 12 years old, perhaps his time is coming?

He is eating and drinking, so that's good, and we have faith in the vet, he's a good one, so, only time will tell! Prayers for my baby, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Sending you good thoughts! It may be as simple as a UTI, they can be very uncomfortable. I agree about the cat trying to tell you something. Usually mine tell me they don't like something new! Hoping all will be fixable, oh and get an enzyme cleaner.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,265 times
I hope it's just UTI. Your 12 year old cat isn't that old, they can live up to be 20. Some even 30! So just don't lose hope. I will cross my fingers.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I am sending prayers and lots of good thoughts your way.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Well, no call back from vet, now I'm mad!

I made several calls to the vet today, told them he's not doing well, wanted test results, first told me results weren't in, then vet would call back "later" said he's "swamped" with patients. Ok tomorrow I go in first thing they open and ask for the results, just give them to me and I find another vet, apparently my baby isn't a priority for them.

You know, I have another thread about pets being status symbols, but many vets view their patients that way. They only care about the "classy" animals, not an old, sick cat in their waiting room, perhaps we're not their "type". find a dumpy place!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Do they do the tests in-house or send them out to a lab?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Do they do the tests in-house or send them out to a lab?

They send them out to a lab, and it was yesterday about 4:30 pm when they took the tests, so, realistically, they probably didn't even go out until today.

What perplexes me is, when I call, the office gal tells me the vet will call back today, she put "it" on his desk, led me to believe the test results were back. I realize only the vet can discuss the results, but I wish they'd been more specific, were the results even back?

I've always liked this vet, would hate for it to disintegrate due to an office miscommunication, but its been my experience vets don't like sick animals!

!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Poor old Mike, now he doesn't even sleep with us, has found a spot on the LR floor, just wants there. He sleeps on a towel, he realizes he has "accidents" doesn't want to mess up our bed. But his friend, Lady, has been peeing a gallon on our bed, she's trying to tell us something is wrong!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
They send them out to a lab, and it was yesterday about 4:30 pm when they took the tests, so, realistically, they probably didn't even go out until today.

What perplexes me is, when I call, the office gal tells me the vet will call back today, she put "it" on his desk, led me to believe the test results were back. I realize only the vet can discuss the results, but I wish they'd been more specific, were the results even back?

I've always liked this vet, would hate for it to disintegrate due to an office miscommunication, but its been my experience vets don't like sick animals!

!
Huh. I wonder if she meant that she put your message on his desk? Regardless, they really should have called you back.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,055 times
If they have a severe flea infestation and are anemic from it, yes, they can wet themselves. Anemia makes them very weak. I would think that they would have a minimal amount of lab equipment to check for that. Maybe an upgrade on a vet hospital wouldn't be a bad thing. Did both of them get a work-up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats