Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:46 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,615 times

Advertisements

I find it very touching, the gentleness of this huge black and white cat I adopted. Charley (the one who got out) was like that, too. I have to think that this a function of maturity (both of them were probably around 3-4 years old, I'm guessing), but also maybe an affect of breeding. Over many generations, I think the gentlest cats survived, maybe, and the ones who were violent towards humans were killed or didn't do as well??

Does anyone else have experience with the gentleness of huge male cats and does this remain stable over time, given consistent good treatment and lots of love returned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I have a large male cat who is very gentle. And extremely spoiled.......

Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 PM

133 posts, read 419,335 times
I think so. I have a large male orange tabby cat who is my big ol gentle giant. He's 9 y/o now and is very gentle. I've had him since he was about 1 1/2 years old.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
I had a large black & white boy. He loved going up to the girl cats to get licks on top of his head. He also did that to 2 of my dogs. He was my other boy cats best buddy too. And of course he was my "big boy". He'd go to bed with me every night. And just the way he looked at you and cried to be pet melt my heart. He was 14 when I had to put him to sleep. It's been just over 1 1/2 yrs and I still miss him.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I used to have a black-and-white male (he now lives with my parents). He was not particularly large but he always came when I called for him; I was also the only one in the family that he liked (my parents tell me that he is very friendly with them).
I rescued him, his mother and his sister. I know that, even now, if I were to go to my parents' home and call to him, he would come running.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Our soon to be 8 year old male is our largest cat. He is very sweet and friendly. He loves every person, cat, or dog he meets.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance_or_REBEL View Post
I think so. I have a large male orange tabby cat who is my big ol gentle giant. He's 9 y/o now and is very gentle. I've had him since he was about 1 1/2 years old.
I read somewhere that 80% of orange tabbies are male and are almost always sweeties.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,615 times
When I was a little girl, I had kind of an abusive background like so many people do; my dad was suffering from post traumatic stress from WWII. So he was violent, and as a child, I had a lot of nightmares, usually about cats. So when I get Edward (the first), about 20 years or so ago, from the animal shelter in Houston, I had to have him spend the first night in the bathroom, since I was afraid to have him wandering around when I was sleeping.

I got over my fear in one day, and my husband said he was really proud of me and that, if nothing else (and of course there was a great deal else, 'cause Edward was still there long after the husband de jour departed), getting Edward helped me get over my fear of cats.

With this current Edward ("the second"), I must admit that I was a little afraid of him, and nervous about sleeping, the first night. I opened the drawers next to my bed so he couldn't jump on me. But he is so gentle, I really don't think I have anything to fear. I was going to foster him out, too, and changed my mind a dozen times. But now I love him.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
Does anyone else have experience with the gentleness of huge male cats and does this remain stable over time, given consistent good treatment and lots of love returned?
Yep...pretty much. Although he is a bit protective of me...he will growl at strangers who walk into the yard, or knock on the door.

He has a larger Teddy Bear that he sleeps with in his bedroom.

Just be sure that you have him Neutered or that "affection" can become aggression when he gets "in the mood".

Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,641 times
I have a large male cat... but he is not gentle. He gets lovey sometimes, and lives to be around people (he feels like he must be in the same room with us at all times). However, as I said, he is no where near gentle. He bites & claws (in play, but it's still painfull!) and he is also a Master Thief. He steals things from the garbage can to play with and the other day I caught him climbing the shelf to where the dog cookies are... he reached in the box and snatched one up and took off with it. He's young yet, and I sure hope he mellows out with age a bit... some days he has me pulling out my hair. I've only had one male cat before and it was the same with him (but to a much lesser degree). Friendly, yep, gentle or mellow, nope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats