Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:06 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Acute sensory apparatus, at any rate.

Cats vary in intelligence, but they are a lot smarter than most people think. This is because they only apply their smarts to what they are interested in. They don't suck up like dogs. That isn't to say they can't be spoiled, but it is still on their terms.
Agreed.

Cat's are very inquisitive which I equate with intelligence. I would not want to be a mouse who the cat chased under the refrigerator. If there is a way to hook Mr. Mouse with even a single claw, the cat will find that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
That mousie would have been perfectly safe with Mickey on watch...a mouse could run over him, he would not even turn over. Some cats...are...maybe...over domesticated.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
My smart cat just got up off the bed and made it out to the hallway before she hacked up a hairball. Smart AND considerate. Sometimes. No, but truly she knew what was happening and knew it would be better not to be staying right here. Have noticed other times recently she'll try to make it downstairs when that happens, I guess associating that with the space she (and we) aren't in quite as often. Interesting.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
My smart cat just got up off the bed and made it out to the hallway before she hacked up a hairball. Smart AND considerate. Sometimes. No, but truly she knew what was happening and knew it would be better not to be staying right here. Have noticed other times recently she'll try to make it downstairs when that happens, I guess associating that with the space she (and we) aren't in quite as often. Interesting.
Great story. I had a considerate kitty too. When the litter box was not clean enough to her high standards she would continue to poop in it but she would pee in the bathtub. That made it far easier for me to clean than if she had done it on the floor or bed or elsewhere.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That mousie would have been perfectly safe with Mickey on watch...a mouse could run over him, he would not even turn over. Some cats...are...maybe...over domesticated.
That may be true. Or maybe they just smart enough to know the food bowl will be filled a few times a day.

I've had 2 males like that in the past. Neither had any interest in hunting or catching mice or birds. When they would go outside (in those days I allowed it) both would just lay around in sun, maybe take a walk around the lawn. They'd glance at the bird feeders but otherwise ignore them.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Maybe that's why I like them so much.....you have to work at gaining their trust. I can hold Karma upside down and he purrs. He likes to get his back stretched out like this.......and then gently putting him down he does a stomach crunch! LOL Work those abs, buddy!!
Five likes this. We call it the reverse Supercat position.

I do have to say my cats are horrible judges of bad weather. Five spent the whole time Hurricane Ivan was making landfall (and putting a tree on our garage roof) sleeping on top of the fridge.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,397 times
On the Forth of July I was invited to a pool party, when I arrived I was quickly greeted by a starving, flee infested kitten through out the next couple of hours this little girl keep making attempts to get my attention. I asked the owner of the house if he knew who the kitten was for and he told me that she had showed up at his house the day before. He said he had fed it all the cans of tuna he had and asked if I wanted to take her home whhich I quickly replied yes the only problemwas I couldn't bring her home full of flees. One of the ladies at the party told me she had some flee shampoo in her car, we quickly took her to the bathroom and preceded to remove every last flee. I feed her some chicken they had and after all this she quickly fell asleep on my lap. The next morning I quickly ran to the store to grab food and toys and everything else that she would be needing. I named her Shihlo and for the next couple of days this little kitten just slept. I just Google's how smart are cats because Shihlo has amazed us these last couple of months. She quickly discovered our son's Nerf bullets and carries them around in her mouth, hides them in my fake plants, shoes, my purse and anywhere else she can find. She has become so obsessed with these little Nerf bullets that we actually play fetch with them. I toss it and she runs after it puts it in her mouth and brings it back to me over and over again. I have videoed it on my phone and will try to post it on this page. I think my question is answered......Cats are way more smarter than they would want us to believe!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I don't think cats can be bothered to care how smart mere humans think they are.

BTW, the correct spellings are 'fleas' (the plural noun; 'flee' is a verb, as in 'to flee': escape from) and 'Shiloh' (assuming that you meant to name the kitty after the Civil War battle or the location).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats