Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
OK, so numerous times I hear folks talk about intelligence and I certainly do not wish to crack open a debate on this subject here (I'm on the fence, as a total cat person who nonetheless appreciates the utilitarian intelligence of most well trained dogs.)

There is one thing my cat just can't seem to figure out. If the claw is stuck, just relax and pull it back in to get un-stuck. Poor guy gets his little claws all hung up on the carpet or some other thing he's clawing at, and he just yanks and yanks! I'm scared he's gonna hurt himself. I do trim his claws, I try to do it weekly, but occasionally I forget or miss it due to some activities that eat up my weekend...

I wish there were a way I could train Nimbus not to panic and yank when his claw gets stuck in something. But he doesn't seem quite clever enough to understand how counter-productive that is...
Nah, they'll never figure that one out. It's just instinctive to pull away from the thing that is attached to and/or hurting them. Cats definitely have an intelligence to them, as there are any number of stories we can read (or experience) of cats figuring out many things, often very annoying things. But the action of getting unstuck, I think that eludes them all. Anyone have a story of a cat actually figuring that out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I think it's more about panic than lack of intelligence. A minor "stuck" on, say, a rug, usually seems easy to get out of. They know just what to do. But if something makes it upsetting, like wanting to get away quickly, they get anxious, and that makes it hard for anyone to think straight.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
With all the horrible news playing out on the tv, I really needed a smile today, and my youngest gave it to me. He used to play fetch with me for the first year of his life, but then outgrew it. (Typically, I didn't outgrow it!) This morning, for the first time in a year, he brought me one of the special mice he used only for fetch, and we played for a few minutes. Just now, he did it again. Little things can mean a lot.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
Mr. Fuzzy had a blocked bladder a few weeks ago. He's fine now, but he has special food and medicine that I have to squirt in his mouth.

Sometimes he takes his medicine peacefully, but usually it's a struggle.

Anyway, he and I are both now sticky. It got all over him and on my arm.

His medicine is about used up, so we won't be doing this much longer.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Nah, they'll never figure that one out. It's just instinctive to pull away from the thing that is attached to and/or hurting them. Cats definitely have an intelligence to them, as there are any number of stories we can read (or experience) of cats figuring out many things, often very annoying things. But the action of getting unstuck, I think that eludes them all. Anyone have a story of a cat actually figuring that out?
I mess with Jasper, just for fun. I hold his ear, and he pulls away. If he would just sit there, I would let go. He never does. Cats don't have a cerebellum, to have logical thought process, they can correlate, ie, sound of can opener means food But they ddon't connect and problem solve on a higher level.

I had a Siamesse cat who was extremely intelligent, but he still had limited insight. That cat was so smart, he even figured out my Mom's name was 'mom', and he even had a special meow, that sounded like Mom. He was passive aggressive too, and would 'punish', us for leaving him alone, he would knock things over, and ignore us when we came home from a trip.

Some cats are more cognitive than others. I had a sweet cat, dumb as a rock. Mickey, he was really limited. Clueless.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 PM

I pick on my cat sometimes. I poke his belly and he swats on me and tries to bite me playfully. He's usually purring, though.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 AM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
OK, so numerous times I hear folks talk about intelligence and I certainly do not wish to crack open a debate on this subject here (I'm on the fence, as a total cat person who nonetheless appreciates the utilitarian intelligence of most well trained dogs.)

There is one thing my cat just can't seem to figure out. If the claw is stuck, just relax and pull it back in to get un-stuck. Poor guy gets his little claws all hung up on the carpet or some other thing he's clawing at, and he just yanks and yanks! I'm scared he's gonna hurt himself. I do trim his claws, I try to do it weekly, but occasionally I forget or miss it due to some activities that eat up my weekend...

I wish there were a way I could train Nimbus not to panic and yank when his claw gets stuck in something. But he doesn't seem quite clever enough to understand how counter-productive that is...
This happens a lot with my Keyser. He panics and pulls and yells. And if I try to help, take his paw and unhook it, he BITES. He bites hard, too!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Cat food size fake out. We all know of food manufactures playing with size of containers and less ounces of food...I was feeding Jasper the other day, thinking, "Wow, he went thru that bag of food quick!". I purchase small bags of dry food, he eats mainly dry, some wet. And mostly salmon table scraps.

I checked the bag....same size bag I usually buy....but....a half a pound less! Instead of three pounds of food, the bag had only 2.5 pounds of food! Rip!

I did see a large bag of food on sale the other day, almost bought it...but I prefer to buy fresh bag of food, smaller amounts more frequently.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Some truths about cats
First World Cat Problems - Cheezburger
Humor Train

Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
That kitty is one of the prettiest I've seen on the interwebs. I love the caption I saw a long time ago that says, "I really want you to pet me. But I also kind of want to bite you." Nimbus does that occasionally..."I loves you human. Nom!"

But he never bites hard.

And lately, he's changing his behavior in a way I rather like, he still attacks me in play situations, and jump-attacks on my legs and stuff like that, but he's keeping his claws out of the picture lately and just "tagging" me with soft paws. I didn't really do anything to try and change his behavior. He's such a good boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats