Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times

Advertisements

If you read through the postings, you see that the OP lives in a rural area, and no one would be interested in doing something like that, because they don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

If you read through the postings, you see that the OP lives in a rural area, and no one would be interested in doing something like that, because they don't care.
That's just simply not true. I started an animal rescue organization in Mexico. If it can be done there, where most people really don't care, it can be done in rural Missouri. All it takes is finding like-minded people and doing it.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
There are not enough like-minded people. There's me, my sister (who may move end up moving away), and a bunch of people who don't care. People can't afford to get animals spayed. And I certainly can't afford to pay for it.

There are a few shelters around here, but they have not reached my county and they are too overwhelmed anyway. There are pretty much zero resources and very little money. If you want to come here and start a rescue group, be my guest. I'm just doing what I can.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
It sure seems like somebody needs to get a humane rescue and discount spay program going on. Is there any one of the vets or local animal advocates that you can imagine would be willing to get some education and advocacy activities started?
They have a discount spay or neuter program in two counties. You have to make under 150% of the poverty line (even most people here would not qualify) and I don't live in a county that has it.

Quote:
Is there a local newspaper where such info could be posted and like-minded individuals could get together?
There are a few local papers, but they're struggling as it is. They don't care. I don't think people around here want to be cruel to animals, but they have higher priorities, like food, clothing, and medicine. It's probably not as poor as Mexico, but there is a lot of poverty. Most kids are on free or reduced lunches. Many families rely on Welfare and food stamps. My family does alright, but many families here don't do alright. There are no like-minded individuals as far as animal rights.

Quote:
Is there a college in town where maybe a club could be started or a fraternity/sorority project?? A scouting project?
We have a college here (in a county over from mine), but it's a community college, and a lot of the students have grants or scholarships. They're mostly not your typical college student with extra cash lying around.

There's another college an hour-and-a-half away. That town is around 30,000, and it does have an ASPCA, but I don't think they have a whole lot of resources either. And that college also has quite a few middle-income people with grants and scholarships.

Quote:
It would be a team effort and that might get a ball rolling.
I'm 1. Not a team. There is no team.

Quote:
Even if the vets get together and offer a free or discount spay once a month it would spark interest. It would be a whole lot easier than dealing with all these stray, wounded, and abandoned cats.
I see your point, but most people don't see it that way. And some vets do offer the low-cost spay to people 150% of the poverty line or below. But the vets also need to feed their families, and many of them offer lower prices on vet care as it is. I think your last sentence is right, but you have no idea what it is like here. The people are caring people, but they have higher priorities, and I can understand why. They don't have cash lying around to spay/neuter all the animals that get dropped off at their houses. And in some counties, including mine, there isn't a pound to take them to.

There are shelters around here trying, but they are not in my county and they are strapped as it is. My county doesn't even have a pound. If an animal won't leave or they can't rid of it, people sometimes shoot it or drown it or dump it somewhere. I'm not saying their actions are right, but you'd have to completely change the mentality of the entire area. You'd also have to offer things for free or very low cost, because people simply don't have the money. And vets are often not open past 5 in the evening, and they may be open a few hours on Saturday. For working people, getting to the vet is inconvenient. It's not as simple as setting up a rescue or offering low-cost spaying. That would help, but it's like trying to knock down the Berlin Wall with a paper hammer.

I'm not McGyver. I can't make something out of nothing.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,987 times
I really wasn't trying to back you into a corner or place a burden on you that is beyond your capability. I just wanted to offer some suggestions that might ease the burden you have already taken on with all these kitties. I stand corrected as to the environment you are dealing with.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,148,232 times
Quote:
I really wasn't trying to back you into a corner or place a burden on you that is beyond your capability. I just wanted to offer some suggestions that might ease the burden you have already taken on with all these kitties. I stand corrected as to the environment you are dealing with.
FWIW Tama, unless someone has first hand knowledge or experience of the environments such as the one in which the OP lives, there is no way you would know. Let's face it, it's hardly going to make national news.

I think it's a scenario that is a lot more widespread than people think but as the animals involved are just "silent" victims, by and large it just flies under the radar.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM

I think Sunday was the last time I saw the momma. I'm not sure where she is.

EDIT: She was spotted yesterday.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 04-07-2010 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM

I'm a little worried about her. Nobody's seen her since Wednesday, and we had a frost last night.

I'd like to know where the kittens are, but it's out of my hands. Unless she had the kittens in the creek (which I think is public property, and she probably wouldn't have them there anyway), everywhere else is private property. They're not on my property and I would hate to be snooping around on other people's property. Even then, if they were under a house there's no way I could get to them.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
StLouisCards - I'm taking care of some ferals and its hard. I have a lot more resources than you and I feel for you. Even with more resources it isn't easy. Just trapping and driving to a vet can be a little stressful for the cat and me as they go crazy in their cage and yowl. Then you have to have some place to keep the females after because its a fairly hard surgery and you can't just let them go right away and I'm in an apt., no garage and thats been interesting to say the least. What's weird is once people know I'm trying to help these cats I get two reactions, often from the same people. 1., I'm some sort of cat lady freak which will be something I'm tagged with forever even though I don't have a cat, nice...and 2) why aren't I doing more, I'm not doing enough ("oh a feral is limping? why don't you take them to the vet?" I'd be trapping cats everyday if I took every feral with a medical condition to the vet "why don't you let them inside?" etc.). Geez, hardly seems fair! I'm a freak for doing anything (they sure wouldn't) and I'm judged for not doing more? I've managed to neuter 3 which isn't enough but more than before and I feed and water everyday. I also built some little shelters to help them through the winter. The Indianapolis feral cat society has a good website and I got the idea for shelters there.
Anyway not trying to hijack your thread, wish I had suggestions. I will say do what you can and don't let others get you down.
I understand that you don't have many immediate options. However I do hope you try to reach out to others. Even some people with nothing do care and may group together and find small ways to help your local shelter or feral colonies in the future.
I'm not in Indianapolis, but I found there website had good info.

IndyFeral - Welcome to IndyFeral's home on the web!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
StLouisCards - I will say do what you can and don't let others get you down.
I understand that you don't have many immediate options. However I do hope you try to reach out to others. Even some people with nothing do care and may group together and find small ways to help your local shelter or feral colonies in the future.
I'm not in Indianapolis, but I found there website had good info.

IndyFeral - Welcome to IndyFeral's home on the web!
Gisela Was this meant for me? No one has said anything to "get her down". I said I didn't mean to be critical but just offerred suggestions like you are doing. About getting some help. Otherwise I don't know what you could be referring to??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats