Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times

Advertisements

I hope Whiskers turns up real soon!!! We do become attached to them and yes, it is "nature's way" that some animals eat others to survive, but we don't want them to eat the ones we have gotten to know and care for. HUGS to you!!!!

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
I thank you all most graciously for the kindness expressed here and the advice. Sounds to me as though some of you may be walking in similar shoes, or who at the very least, have the compassion to understand another's plight. God bless all who have contributed to this thread. Nancy, the quote you have is stunning, with so much truth within it. My heart smiles to know someone understands the Web of Life.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
If it's any comfort, from what I understand a fox usually dosen't bother with cats... I've actually herd that if they get into a fight the cat will usually come out on top.

As far as setting out food for the fox, what I'm going to say you may not like/agree with. I think it's a very bad idea. By trying to appease him by feeding him, it's my opinion that the problem may become worse, attracting more predators to your property. You may also draw more raccoons, which are more probable cat predators....
All good points that I agree with. We discussed the fox problem on another thread six weeks ago, and once again; foxes do not predate on cats unless they are kittens, sick, wounded, very old, very small, etc. Whiskers is six weeks older now, heavier and stronger, and if the fox did not get him then, he surely is not going to get him now. In a real fight, an adult cat of at least average size can wallop a fox, usually all it takes is one or two swats and the fox is on its way. Feeding wild predators is a very bad idea, and, as mentioned, will draw more predators of all sorts. Foxes, when fed, will actually become semi tame, and allow humans to approach them. Do not wish to sound cold, but from remarks made about all the wildlife in the area, it looks like Whiskers will just have to take his chances. He might be fine, cats are very alert and have that dazzling speed and agility, plus they are very tough brawlers when things get rough.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Default Oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I know, I know this is all a part of nature, but a person in my shoes becomes really attached to those she loves and cares for, and it breaks my heart to know that he is gone. I pray to God he did not suffer. This is the part of nature that is so hard to bear.

Thanks for listening.
Oh now horrible! I know exactly how you feel. We have fox here and most people who let their cats outside lose them. I lost several when I first moved here until someone from church told me about the fox-cat problem. I was heart sick for weeks. And now, for the past 2 days, I haven't seen the two dump-offs I've been feeding these past weeks. I hope they wandered off and didn't become some fox or coyotes dinner.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Sixth day and no Whiskers. I know him to be gone.

What I did not explain is that both Whiskers and his brother who I have, Whispers, are both very fragile. They look like a tabby mix, but their physical form reminds me of petite calicos, very fragile, small boned. If Whiskers has the mentality of my Whispers, I knew in my heart, he did not have a chance out in the wild. I loved him and took care of him as best as I could during the time God gave him to me in my care. I put special supplements in his food to make his immune system stronger. I gave him top of the line canned foods. I gave him cat nip. I sprayed Calm Pet on his nest which he loved. I gave him little toys to play with. I spoke to him in cat. I spoke to him with my heart and eyes. He knew I loved him. I did not sense his spirit in the barn at all today when I went over this morning, so I encouraged him to move on to the Light.

Something is happening to our wild cat population here. With each succeeding generation, these cats are getting smaller, weaker looking. Cats when they produce give to their kittens, the exact blue print of their immune systems, plus all their genetic material. The pollution and the pesticides, and the poisoned waters are all taking a toll on our wild life. And it makes me weep.

Last summer, a very ill coyote came here to our property to pass to the Next World. He looked as though he had been exposed to radiation. He had the most gentle face and beautiful eyes. We came face to face one time, taking me very much by surprise when I rounded a corner in my path that goes through my wild section, and instead of running, he very slowly stood up, stretched and then just leisurely sauntered off into the brush. When he passed, I heard the death cry, coming from Mother Herself.

I can only do so much. The damage has been already done. Some of the books I have been reading are saying that it will take up to 4 and 5 generations of cats, who are being fed the best diet (raw) and right remedies for their maladies (holisitic) to come back to complete wellness. Our cats our so sick, and it makes me, again, weep in despair, what mankind has done to these beautiful creatures.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
this is so sad...making me cry. Hugs to you....

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:

Something is happening to our wild cat population here. With each succeeding generation, these cats are getting smaller, weaker looking.

Last summer, a very ill coyote came here to our property to pass to the Next World.
Could the source be inbreeding over several generations? That could be a logical reason. As for the coyote, this is a very deadly foe for any cat, tame or feral. While a 10-12 pound fox is not a threat to an adult cat, a 25-30 pound coyote most surely is. Many animals are unjustly blamed for killing cats, such as foxes, fishers, and raptors, when the real culprits are usually coyotes, domestic dogs, or bobcats.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Black Shoe, coyotes are normally not in our area. The ONLY reason that coyote came here was to pass from this world to the Next. The animals know our property has been deemed sacred grounds. I am unable to explain in any other way, and if you don't understand this, that's OK. God is most present here in Garden of Eden. If people don't get it, that is OK. What is important to me is that animals know. Animals from every direction have ended up here, ill, sick, dying. And I have taken care of them. They know, and that is all that is important.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Quote:
Now this past hour, I got my hubs involved. While I finished up with the chores in the house, (and sobbing), he went out tracking. And he came back home with good news as far as he knows. It looks like Whiskers has been outwitting the fox, taking him in circles, and then at the last minute, jumps up high on something and stays there until the fox doubles back trying to find Whiskers. The minute the fox is out of sight, Whiskers whips into the barn, gobbles down his food, and out the door he is again, jumping up high.

I hate the thought of my Whiskers scared half out of his mind, but to know he is still alive, and smart enough to outwit a fox! Wow! I should put this posting under "How smart are cats" thread! My Whiskers is outfoxing a fox!

And I am going to put the icing the cake. I will NOT kill this fox, even though we have the means. No. That is not the answer. We are going to Wegman's right now and buying big bags of the cheapest cat food there is on the shelves, and I am putting food out today for that fox, so he will get food in his belly and his eyes off of Whiskers.

And do you know why he came out of the wild into the open? My Cookie (the next door neighbor's barn cat who has made her home in our home) was outside this morning, under the picnic bench next to our back door, and he smelled her! He was actually going to try to come after her! I ran to the back door, opened it, and said to Cookie, come on! Get in here! And she ran for the door, believe me! He is just that darn hungry, and NO! I will NOT turn my back on a hungry animal. If my husband and I have to eat spaghetti for a few days because of the extra cost of this food, so what????? At least we will know Whiskers is OK, the fox has food in his stomach, and hopefully the life and death race rally will end.

And thank you RS for the hug and Ohio for the encouragement! I will keep on doing what I am doing...........Bless you!

I see that you are in NY? You have that big storm coming (there by now?). I noticed quite a bit of fox activity down here in Virginia before the two February blizzards hit -- I had never seen more foxes in broad daylight in my life! They didn't need Accuweather to find out, lol. Probably seeking to fatten up before the storm. Good thing getting him/her cat food if you don't want him/her preying on your cats.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM

And yes, K, my heart is heavy today. This is one area of my work that is so difficult for me, for my heart so loves these animals. I must remember that without me, this sweet little cat would never have known love. And so it is. I cannot change what is, and I pray for help to accept those things I cannot change, and wisdom to know the difference. (Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats