Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
And yes, K, my heart is heavy today. This is one area of my work that is so difficult for me, for my heart so loves these animals. I must remember that without me, this sweet little cat would never have known love. And so it is. I cannot change what is, and I pray for help to accept those things I cannot change, and wisdom to know the difference. (Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi)
GOE, these animals are all benefited by your work regardless of the outcome. And, there is some reason for this work coming to you. Continue confidently with the knowledge that the outcome is not the goal, it is the process of helping that matters. That may help you find the strength to keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Wilson, I thank you. Yes, my work shall continue no matter what, for this is what I have been asked to do.

A thought in closing with this post....for those of you who oppose me putting food out for the "predators">>>every other winter I have done so, for several reasons, one of them being I did not want the barn cats/wild cats a main focus for a food source. Winters here can and do get fierce and extremely harsh.

For years, I have had no incident as I have in the past few days. This winter, due to decreased income, it was decided not to feed the wild animals this year, for we did not think we could financially handle it. And, for the first time ever, I have a causality.

When an animal is hungry enough, even a fox, it will go after a small cat. Whiskers weighed all of 8 pounds, if that, and that fox weighed in 15-20 pounds. Another poster has said here that they saw a fox den, with neatly arranged cat skins hanging on a fence or branch. Are you still of the mind that foxes do not eat cat?

I do what I must do to protect those that come to me for help. Believe me, I feel as though I betrayed my Whiskers, and this I have to come to terms with. I will continue to feed the wild animals here, even if you don't think it proper. It is only the interim between January and Spring that most of the feeding occurs. Yes, a raccoon problem here has developed, and come Spring, this is another problem my husband and I have to deal with......

Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM

244 posts, read 718,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
GOE, these animals are all benefited by your work regardless of the outcome. And, there is some reason for this work coming to you. Continue confidently with the knowledge that the outcome is not the goal, it is the process of helping that matters. That may help you find the strength to keep up the good work.

Agreed!

My thought while reading this was "Garden, perhaps you're the only human (or being of any sort) that has shown these animals love and kindness, especially in their weakest hours."

There are no words to make you feel better, except you will be greatly blessed, here and thereafter....

On behalf of all the critters that cross your path, "Thanks for the love"

Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM

Default Whiskers

Attached is a picture of Whiskers' brother, Whispers. They looked identical. So, with this picture, I say to you and to whole world......

"Whiskers, I love you forever. We are together forever. Mom is here. I will see you again soon. I will never forget you. Kisses and hugs for eternity."

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 05-12-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,373,481 times
I have been watching this post silently, Garden, without responding until now. And I'm at a loss for words... my heart is with you and Whiskers, wherever he may be. And I am a firm believer that the only place better than being in your loving arms again, would be in His.

Stay strong of heart, many little lives depend on your gentle care.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,587,058 times
I have also been checking this thread silently...I keep hoping to find a happy ending. I'm so sorry, friend, and know that your light and love is with him even at this moment.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
I hope all the best for you right now. I've been following along and hoping and hoping.....

Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Thank you, friends. When all is seen, my Whiskers is no longer cold, or scared, or hungry, or lonely. He is now safe and warm and loved by Him, the angels and especially my Grandma! Blessings. I MUST focus on this aspect, and not my human feelings.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I agree with Sheridan...putting out dry food will only attract other animals. Also, hunger might not be the reason why a fox would kill a kitty. But don't give up yet! After all, 'Little Moo' took weeks to come home.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 PM

(((HUGS))) Catman! Thank you! I am still putting canned food in the barn on top of the nest I made for Whiskers, and every time I go over there, the food is gone. I really went hunting through that barn today, and not even seeing one coon and not hearing a sound besides the horses whinnying, I just stood there. Something looks like it was dragged out of the nest (Whiskers?) for the towel that I had draped over the blankets was hanging down. But, that could be coons again, so I don't know.

Absolutely no signs of fowl play, no dragging marks, no blood, no signs of struggle anywhere. Before the new snow fell, nothing outside either. It's like he just disappeared into thin air. IF that fox got in the barn, he did so extrememely stealthily and grabbed Whiskers so fast, no one, not even the horses, had a clue. But wouldn't the horses have smelled that fox and would have gone frantic, even trying to bolt out of their stalls? I would think so. So, a mystery remains.

I really do thank you for you kindness and good thoughts, Catman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats