Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,676,279 times

Advertisements

I don't even know how to post this, I am so shaken. The brother of my feral kitty, the one who I have been taking care of since Dec., has been missing for 4 days. He's been living in my neighbor's barn and I have been taking care of him. It's not like him not to be around.

And yes, his food I have been leaving has been gone, but that means diddly because there are raccoons in that barn as well.

This morning a red fox, bold as can be, came out of the wild part of our property right into the open. This is what has been in the back of my mind these past 4 days, that an animal got my Whiskers. That red fox has been skulking around here for months, and now I know he finally killed Whiskers.

I know, I know this is all a part of nature, but a person in my shoes becomes really attached to those she loves and cares for, and it breaks my heart to know that he is gone. I pray to God he did not suffer. This is the part of nature that is so hard to bear.

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 PM

41,998 posts, read 75,321,036 times
Oh, poor kitty. I, too, hope he didn't suffer. It's hard to accept sometimes that the fox was just doing what its instincts drive it to do.

Keep taking good care of his brother.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM

244 posts, read 718,953 times
aww...:BIG HUG:

This is the reason I can't watch most National Geographic shows...

Nature can be so cruel......

So sorry for your loss...at least Whiskers knew love...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Default Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
aww...:BIG HUG:

This is the reason I can't watch most National Geographic shows...

Nature can be so cruel......

So sorry for your loss...at least Whiskers knew love...
Now this past hour, I got my hubs involved. While I finished up with the chores in the house, (and sobbing), he went out tracking. And he came back home with good news as far as he knows. It looks like Whiskers has been outwitting the fox, taking him in circles, and then at the last minute, jumps up high on something and stays there until the fox doubles back trying to find Whiskers. The minute the fox is out of sight, Whiskers whips into the barn, gobbles down his food, and out the door he is again, jumping up high.

I hate the thought of my Whiskers scared half out of his mind, but to know he is still alive, and smart enough to outwit a fox! Wow! I should put this posting under "How smart are cats" thread! My Whiskers is outfoxing a fox!

And I am going to put the icing the cake. I will NOT kill this fox, even though we have the means. No. That is not the answer. We are going to Wegman's right now and buying big bags of the cheapest cat food there is on the shelves, and I am putting food out today for that fox, so he will get food in his belly and his eyes off of Whiskers.

And do you know why he came out of the wild into the open? My Cookie (the next door neighbor's barn cat who has made her home in our home) was outside this morning, under the picnic bench next to our back door, and he smelled her! He was actually going to try to come after her! I ran to the back door, opened it, and said to Cookie, come on! Get in here! And she ran for the door, believe me! He is just that darn hungry, and NO! I will NOT turn my back on a hungry animal. If my husband and I have to eat spaghetti for a few days because of the extra cost of this food, so what????? At least we will know Whiskers is OK, the fox has food in his stomach, and hopefully the life and death race rally will end.

And thank you RS for the hug and Ohio for the encouragement! I will keep on doing what I am doing...........Bless you!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,231,559 times
I'm thinking of you. I almost couldn't read this thread but it sounds like you may have an answer. Hang in there!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Thanks, DDI. I just came in from outside, filling a large bowl with dry cat food. I know I have stated I am not a dry food advocate, BUT, when it comes to being sensible and working within our means, and trying to save Whiskers' life, it is a done deal!

I "spoke" to red fox, again telling him this land is a sanctuary, and that he is NOT allowed to go after my Whiskers. I also told him I will be feeding him to help him until real Spring gets here. I am crossing my fingers my message came through, and he heard me.

I hope to see, actually see my Whiskers when I go to feed him in the morning. I'll feel a whole lot better. ........I can only do my best here, but I am no match for Mother Nature......She has her own law..........

Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 AM

Fifth day, no Whiskers. And the bowl of food I filled yesterday that I left on our land, is untouched. I did some tracking of my own today, and whatever my husband saw yesterday, I did not see. I don't know if he told me a whopper, just to appease me because he knew how badly I was feeling, or what. I looked over the entire barn. There is no evidence of a fight, no blood any where. The horses are calm, so if there had been any fox in the barn, these horses would be freaking. There is absolutely no fear coming from those horses, who are quietly munching on hay and who just finished kissing me after I gave them their treats.

I looked all over our property and next door as well. Of course, I could not get into the thick brush, but as far as I could see, there is no evidence of a fight, no drops of blood, no blood period.

I still don't know if Whiskers is alive or not. But, today, instead of loosing it and crying, I will stay calm and centered. Since this episode with Prinny, my emotions have been all over the place coupled with bone breaking fatigue. I am determined today, to intend that no matter where Whiskers is, he is safe. And if he has left this world, then he very much is in a better place.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

511 posts, read 2,201,406 times
I'm so sorry you can't find Whiskers He may still turn up yet- don't loose hope. If it's any comfort, from what I understand a fox
usually dosen't bother with cats... I've actually herd that if they get into a fight the cat will usually come out on top.

As far as setting out food for the fox, what I'm going to say you may not like/agree with. I think it's a very bad idea. By trying to appease him by feeding him, it's my opinion that the problem may become worse, attracting more predators to your property. I know, it's like being between a rock & a hard place... But do try to look at it in the long term... if you set out food, yes, the fox will have a full tummy, but that's not going to halt his natural instinct to hunt... not to mention he may settle in & decide to raise a fox family because food is so plentiful. You may also draw more raccoons, which are more probable cat predators...

I would suggest trying to get the fox to leave, rather than encourage him to stay (by setting out food). This'll sound odd, but you may look into urine scent marking- How to use? This may be a good humane solution all around. With something like this you could naturally make the fox want to leave. I am unsure of how it would effect the cats... but if there's already a fox marking it's space and the cats don't mind, I doubt this would effect them. I admit, I've never tried anything like this, so I don't know how well it works. You may want to do a little research before trying it. I will be giving it a try this summer to keep deer out of the garden.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks, Sheridan, for the advice. I really don't know what to do at this point, and I will look into the link you gave me. Oh, no, I am open to ideas on how to get rid of these predators. I already have a raccoon problem here, due to all the building......all the animals are being pushed out. If you can give me any ideas how to get rid of coons, I would so appreciate it. Last year I had to give in to the coons, because they were destroying my rose gardens. And then they trashed all my bird feeders.....which they still do. I don't know who to get involved at this point, but every year it just gets worse.....the mating process in spring.....thus more babies. Should I call the SPCA?

And thank you for reassuring my about Whiskers. Seeing it is almost Spring, the little stinker is probably out roaming for a female, meanwhile giving "mom" grey hairs. Blessings.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 PM

511 posts, read 2,201,406 times
Hmm. I've herd electric wire works for discouraging coons... obviously it's not an option for open areas, but may work along the top of a fenced in garden. You could try contacting your local SPCA and/or your local Game & Fish dept. They may be able to offer more suggestions for repelling the wild critters. You may look into NY G&F laws as far as trapping and relocating wild animals- though most states do not allow this, because it may cause the spread of disease to other areas, the animals (once used to living around humans) may cause problems for other people, and they may even try to make it back to their "home"- your property. If G&F/SPCA offers to come out & trap the animals for you, you should be aware in advaced wether they will euth them or relocate them based on the law. I know you don't want them killed, so it could turn very heartbreaking if you find out after the fact that trapped animals will be euthed Sadly if the population keeps ballooning, this may be your only solution.

If I was in your shoes, I would probably humanely trap & kill any wild critters that were poseing a direct threat to my animals/family or causing costly damage to my home/property... I am not saying I think that is what you should do, just that it is what I would do personally. I love predator-type creatures (I am pro wolf, living in probably the most anti-wolf state in the US) but I also would not be shy about using lethal means if it came to that. How quickly I resorted to leathal means, and how much effort I put into trying repellents/other options, would depend on the level of the threat... I would not lightly make the choice, and if I had to kill a fox/coon, I would not let it go to waste... I would use the fur/claws/bones for crafts & educational purposes.

Again I wish you luck... I would bet Whiskers is out prowling around & living it up as only a tom-cat can... so keep your chin up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats