Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:31 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I took my cat (13yrs old and has hypothyroidism) to the vet, and she was prescribed antibiotics for a possible upper respitory infection. Today she crawled into a corner, after getting Sub-Q fluids, and layed down. I went to get her food and came back and noticed she had peed all over herself, so I wiped her off and took her into the emergency vet. They did blood tests and found out her kidney numbers were off the charts and an infection was rampaging through her. Her temp was also 96 degrees. She is now being treated with IV fluids and IV antibiotics to try and get the infection under control. They had her warmed back up to 99 degrees and said she was slightly more alert. The ER vet heard an extremelly mild heart murmur and took Xrays. She found nodules in her lungs and possibly in a lymph node. I have no idea if the nodules are new, since she has never had an xray, and the only way to tell if they are cancerous would be a 3 hour trip north to the UofM to have a biopsy done, which they wouldn't do until Monday, no idea how much it would cost, though I'm assuming it would be expensive.
So far the estimate for 2 days of fluid and antibiotic treatment is low end 1900, high end 2100. That is going to wipe my Care Credit card balance out. I will be discussing options with my husband when he gets home tonight, and we will go visit Punkin in the ER vets office and see how she is doing. If she is doing better on the antibiotics, then we will continue treatment as long as her quality of life does not suffer. We picked her up as a stray 10 years ago, and she has been the sweetest addition to our family. I guess I'm wondering how likely it is that she has always had the nodules and they are getting worse, or if they are a new thing. Probably no way to tell... Please keep my baby Punkin in your thoughts today, and I hope that she improves and we can bring her home Monday, although that seems to be a slim shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 04:19 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,328,604 times
I don't know what to tell you other then I feel for you. I understand what you are going through and I hope the best. I had a kitty with bone cancer. Sadly, nothing could be done. So let us know what's going on and take care.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
So sorry for you and your baby! I lost a cat to chronic renal failure in the Fall. After 3 days of IV fluids, her kidney values were still off the charts. I opted to have her put down due to her deteriorating health and that they couldn't do anything more. At that point, she had been on sub-Q fluids for close to 2.5 yrs, thanks to the contaminated food of 200-2007. <<< hugs >>>

Old 03-20-2010, 04:54 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,464 times
Hoping Punkin gets better. She's in my thoughts and well wishes, as you are too.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times
Thanks for the well wishes. ER vet called and said her temp has stabilized at about 98.4 and she has gotten up to walk to the water dish to drink some. Punkin is still not interested in food, but vet said it would be a couple days before she expected her to eat on her own. She said Punkin hasn't peed, but her bladder feels like it is filling up so the water is being processed through the kidneys. My husband gets home in about an hour and we will go visit our baby.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,328,604 times
Ohhhhh goodness. I hope the best for you. Sending some more good vibs your way....

Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,366 times
Hope things continue to get better and she comes home soon!! Sending you best wishes.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I really hope Punkin is better. I lost a cat to renal failure about two months ago. That seems to get most of my old cats if something else doesn't get them first. But Punkin's case sounds hopeful.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
then we will continue treatment as long as her quality of life does not suffer.
And that, in reality, is the best, most kind, most loving action you and your husband can possibly take.

Healing thoughts to all of you.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,810 times
you are in my thoughts and prayers, I wish good health and a happy recovery for Punkin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats